Sign in to follow this  
boecko

Package Manager?

Hi,

have there been any effort to handle the plethora of addons,etc which will come for ArmA? .. I'm mean it's cumbersome to search in all kinds of forums to fulfill the dependencies for certain missions.

What a have in mind is a central registry for these things. And a tiny program, which can resolve that resolves the dependencies for missions and downloads/organizes them.

The dependencies could be handled through a xml-file in the mission.pbo.

Things to look at:

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_management_system

* Cygwin has a nice setup.exe with handles deps

Cygwin Package Managing

GPL-Sourcecode of setup.exe

Just a suggestion for the dependency-hell. wink_o.gif

What a have in mind is a central registry for these things. And a tiny program, which can resolve that resolves the dependencies for missions and downloads/organizes them.

There was someone on the Mapfact-Forums who was working on such a package manager for OFP, but IIRC he never released it to the public.

Quote[/b] ]

The dependencies could be handled through a xml-file in the mission.pbo.

The dependencies are already in there; no need for an extra file. Just a program that reads the mission file and checks with the registry.

Your biggest hurdle will be making/maintaining the repository.

First you have to convince addon/mission designers to supply the repository. And then someone needs to host everything or at least index who hosts it - in the latter case things get lost really quickly too. And it's not exactly a profit rich endeavour so I'll be suprised if anyone will actually do it.

I'd say we delay talking about high level stuff like package management until the most basic aspects in ArmA work.

For example, a little bit more information _what_ addon(s) you are missing when connecting. (Like OFP has).

"You can't play because the mission depends on downloaded content that has been deleted." neither is correct nor supportive.

Why don't we all save ourselves a lot of trouble and effort.

Add-ons can ONLY fully depend on basic BIS content.

They are never allowed to depend on other content to be automatically available.

This will cost us some more HD-space, but thats far less worse then having to gather all parts yourself.

So golden rule: no dependencies allowed with non-basic stuff.

Monk.

How about addon makers get their Addons approved by BIS who can include it in the next patch, then everyone with the latest version of the game has the same adons.

How about addon makers get their Addons approved by BIS who can include it in the next patch, then everyone with the latest version of the game has the same adons.

There will be a massive variety of addons and mods in a while, so that would make for some huge patches tounge2.gif .

For Mods should be diferent I think (cause they are normally easy to find, and very big in size)... but for addons, perhaps the best option is to download them from the server (the server must have them smile_o.gif, and each missions says which addons need)

Then just add an option to limit the total bandwith that downlading addons may take...

regards,

pepel

I'd love if there was some sort of BIS Certification program for good addons that respect given criterias (Gold, Silver...)

They could host those semi-official addons in the download section. Maybe Coldwar Rearmed will be a step in that direction...

Off course, it would cost a little bit of bandwith, but on the other hand it's a good promotion for the game : hey, look at all the fantastic content you can get for free !!!

This way, everybody would have it and know it's good quality stuff.

Hi

I quite like the idea,

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">apt-get install nameofaddon

apt-get update

apt-get remove nameofaddon

oh yes that would be wonderful!

But it would need an addon repository covering all the possible addons, and possibly also all of the different versions of each addon. No?

Baddo

Tail wagging the dog.

I think you are all getting carried away with addons.

What matters is missions with class and style, and yes, good addons do add polish.

Most good mission makers have documentation and links dealing with any addons used.

As said earlier lets get the game patched  and the modding tools released first.

I suspect all the outfits like Mapfact, Frenchpoint, BAS, etc. will have raised their game so much  that most must have addons will be self evident.

Right now I keep sneaking back to OFP for a good mission fix.