Sign in to follow this  
bardosy

[CAMP] Perpetua - RELASE!!!

@sepphyrion:

Thank you for your feedback. When I prepare my PC to applay again the 1.08 patch, I'll check these bugs and fix it.

Thanks!

This is a fantastic campaign. I have got to the mission Capricio, but may have found a couple of bugs/problems. I infiltrated the main base OK, then was ordered to check out the building to the East. As I was injured I could not check out that building upstairs, so I could not accomplish this part of the mission initially. However, I did blow up the building with the nearby satchel charges, and was then able to crawl through the rubble and "find" the bodies in the barrels. This triggered the end of the mission, so I crawled my way to the beach, got the radio message about having a boat sent to collect

me, but the boat never arrives!

I have replayed the mission but with the same result. I am running Euro ArmA with the 1.08 patch.

Any help would be good so I can get on to the next mission.

Blowing up with satchel?

No!

There is no objective to blow up anything.

If you are wounded and can't go upstairs, it's not problem. You have to check the bodies and barrels in the ground level. And then you can extract with the boat.

The boat is come if you complete the objective to check the building and you found the barrels and then you get an order to extract...

This is a fantastic campaign. I have got to the mission Capricio, but may have found a couple of bugs/problems. I infiltrated the main base OK, then was ordered to check out the building to the East. As I was injured I could not check out that building upstairs, so I could not accomplish this part of the mission initially. However, I did blow up the building with the nearby satchel charges, and was then able to crawl through the rubble and "find" the bodies in the barrels. This triggered the end of the mission, so I crawled my way to the beach, got the radio message about having a boat sent to collect

me, but the boat never arrives!

I have replayed the mission but with the same result. I am running Euro ArmA with the 1.08 patch.

Any help would be good so I can get on to the next mission.

Try not getting injured instead so that you can walk upstairs. I save alot so when I get injured like that I can always load a 'healty' savegame.

About that building, there are two bodies upstrairs, and two at the groundlevel. Also, there are some barrels that you have to take samples of the content.

Only 'problem' I had was when trying to crawl pass the guard to the left of that hole in the fence. Instead I tried shooting him, but most of the guards in the camp was notified of this, and my whereabout, without the alarm going off.

This campaign is absolutely EXCELLENT. This is how the original campaign that shipped with the game SHOULD have been. Bardosy, you have achieved something spectacular with this and I take my hat off to you - all your hard work has paid off in a fantastic experience. I urge anyone on the fence to download this campaign and at least try it!

Bardosy, you have a great appreciation for scene setting and atmosphere. The voice acting was largely good and the dialogue, although grammatically crippled, was always appropriate and succeeded in making me laugh more than once. There's a sort of a feeling of FUBAR about the whole situation and the humour that's displayed seems appropriate within that context. The operations you go on remind me very much of the special forces action of the SAS in the second world war - very much in keeping with the atmosphere of a small nation under attack and the only advantage they have is this small, highly trained group of mountain soldiers.

The way you gave the unit an identity (and even an anthem!) was a stroke of genius. I felt genuinely compelled to save my men, and really became one of the RACs. In terms of the briefings, the situation reports etc, you could not have done a better job. The task was always clearly signposted and straightforward, and there was additional detail available to those who wanted to find out more (such as the situation on the frontline), but separated from the mission plan itself so that people didn't have to wade through text to find out what they had to do. Great work.

The missions themselves were largely brilliant as well, and very well constructed. I do have a few complaints (as well as praises), however, and as such I warn anyone who hasn't played the campaign to stop reading here because there are spoilers.

----SPOILERS----

In the second mission, Ghosts, where you assault the convoy, combined with multiple AT soldiers and the arty command, you can make light work of the enemy with zero casualties. So far a great mission. The assault on Ixel is relatively manageable, too. What I particularly disliked, however, was the assault on the smaller village, the enemy HQ. The enemy placement is just FIENDISH. There's no way, through even the most strategic placement of your men, that you could even possibly hope to get your AI anywhere NEAR that hornet's nest without taking heavy casualties. You reduce the player to the 'one man army' feeling by making him take out lots of very tightly dug in enemy placements without force multipliers to allow him to overcome them (like arty support) or armour. This section is simply far too hard to complete as a unit and requires too much of a solo effort and it feels like a waste of the team. That said, once I had taken out some of the more dangerous defences, the team was able to advance and we mopped up comfortably, but having the player have to do most of the work to even get into a position where an assault is viable really slows the pace down and feels frustrating.

The defence of Masbete was incredibly fraught and brilliantly executed. I took the majority of the enemy out while hiding under a 4x4 parked inside the barn, while my team (who positioned themselves very intelligently) hid behind the barn itself and the ruined building behind it, laying down lots of cover fire. Very, very tense and when the arty arrives there is a huge feeling of release! The second defence, of the village, is particularly difficult in the sense that unless you move your men over to the ridge overlooking the village, you have less than a couple of seconds to get off a shot. This SHOULD work in your favour oweing to how ArmA always favours the defender, but even so they are not always THAT reliable and as such you can lose your men from grenades etc... It's a difficult one to get right. You really made me think hard about where I placed my men and the best strategy and the opportunity to do that was very much appreicated.

Carpriccio, for me, was something of a wasted opportunity. For starters, I think it would be HUGELY atmospheric to have the player start the mission on the boat, approaching the shoreline. I was really looking forward to the prospect of arriving, and to start on the beach was a little bit of a let down. Plus, you make the mission INCREDIBLY difficult by having each and EVERY watch tower manned with an enemy soldier, as well as patrols (WITH nightvision!) and static soldiers dotted around. I don't like the static soldiers so much as with patrols you can watch their movements and plan how to get past without alerting them - with the static guards, combined with those in the watchtower - you had no opporunity of getting around them without killing them. Similarly, I found there was no way of getting inside the main compound without killing, at the very least, one person. I myself had to kill upwards of 10 people just to get close enough, and that was playing on recruit, prone all the way, and keeping to the bushes. Very, very hard. Perhaps it would be worth placing more men INSIDE the base as opposed to around it, so the player has more of an opportunity to just sneak up using pure stealth?

Dead End is perhaps the best user made campaign mission I have ever played. It feels very much like the 'Ambush' mission from the OFP demo in that things go FUBAR and you have to pull out quickly. When the enemy arrived, I pulled my men back to the extraction as fast as possible and my last man had a BMP snapping at his heels all the way. So tense and getting inside the chopper was a godsend. One problem though - the chopper turns its engine off when it lands to pickup. I would prefer it to have kept its engine running, if at all possible - would make it more tense.

The mountain mission was, again, brilliant and the use of the arty to soften up positions was very much appreciated (and what I really would have liked on Ghosts). One thing, though. It was impossible to destroy one of the arty guns (with a satchel) without killing one of the other squad's members (the one closest to the base's opening). Perhaps it is worth having a look at where the friendly squads place themselves?

The final mission had something of an expected twist but was, again, excellent. Bardosy, I really must applaud your choice of locations and the conditions within which missions are attempted. Starting at the top of the hill, looking down at the village with the enemy moving around and the fires burning was a great touch. As I ran through the trees with the squad, the approach to the objective was particularly fun and really set up the notion that this was an stealthy op. Brilliant! I also like your suggestion for formation etc. in the notes. A nice touch for perhaps more inexperienced players.

----SPOILERS END----

So, what can I say? This campaign was brilliant and I can only congratulate you on it's production. I have a few minor complaints but apart from that it was an absolute joy to play though and I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

What an excellent campaign!

A good story well told, beautiful cut scenes that support the story and difficult and long missions. And the voices are just hilarious rofl.gif

notworthy.gif

Excellent campaign for the moment (10x better than BI's one - sorry BI tounge2.gif -, thank you for this work ! I'm now blocked in the mission "Cappricio" which is very (too ?) hard . I hope I'm going to clear it... banghead.gif

Hi Cannon Fodder,

Thank you for your nice words about my work!

-=* SOPILER *=-

About first Battle for Ixel. You are absolutly right! I have to learn to reduce the well placed enemy in my future missions! Unfortunately in my current work - Down of Democracy campaign - I made this mistake again: in the 5th mission there are three very defended village. But there you have 5 other squads and AFVs to support you. So I'll keep watch to this problem in the future works.

About Capriccio insertation: there is a bug in 1.05 the boat don't close to the shore. They stop 50 away from the shore and if you get out and swimm, you luse your weapons... So I had to solve this bug in that way. Sorry.

In the first version, the static, tower guards had medium skills and that WAS impossible difficult, but now the guards have lowest skill.

Anyway, the spec ops missions not my favorites. I did it, because I thought "every OFP/ArmA campaign has a spec ops mission", but now I know, I could leave it from my next campaign. Thanks to report it. Interesting, but here (official forum) everybody found too difficult this mission, but in the bete-test phase (in OFPEC) everybody could solve it. (I told you: it's very difficult to me too, but the all spec ops mission is too difficult to me. I just wanted to add a good mission for the specops-fans too).

I'm glad if you like Dead End! And I'm happy you had not any trouble (a few player reported that the convoy didn't arrived, because they stucked in the forrest). The engine is stopped because I couldn't use the normal LAND command for this chopper, because the AI didn1t like that slope to land a chopper and plus the chopper didn't like to land under fire of a BMP... So I had to hard scripted the chopper forced to land and I could solve that way. I tried a lot of things to do solve the problem (after a hard fight the chopper didn't land - could you imagine it?) and I hope it's better (engine off) as no landing...

12 stars... out of 10 biggrin_o.gif

Fantastic campaign, i can truly say that even if i've only finished 6 missions yet. Great atmosphere (the voice makes it even better), well scripted, no errors. That's what i like. For my favour, the degree of difficulty is a bit too high, AI spots too well - so i have to load often. Some missions would be a lot easier with human teammates with real intelligence instead of AI, for example to form two independent squads, so it would be great if one or two missions were released as MP missions (for example the ixel mission) - btw the hardest mission i've ever played

Thanks for your work

Hi Panther!

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with you about the difficulty factor. It was a small mistake (and I did it again in my 2nd ArmA campaign too, but I never released it, because of impossible diffcult: much harder the Ixel). But I studied it for a while, so my next campaign (I'm working on 3rd one currently) will be more balanced: not too easy, not too hard.

I'm going to bump this because I'm really enjoying this campaign - it's the perfect way to breathe new life into your single-player Arma.

Recommended. notworthy.gif