Sign in to follow this  
Goodsport

Is playing OFP depressing?

And I don't mean in terms of gameplay, story, graphics, sound, etc. The game itself is awesome! smile.gif

What I mean is that the story takes place 17 years ago, in a much different time and in a much different world, a time and world the likes of which we'll probably never see again... and the fact that many who currently play OFP weren't even born by 1985, making those of us who were teenagers at that time now feel that much older. sad.gif

What do you think?

-G

No. Being old doesn't bother me. Certailnly better than being 16 again.

And 02 is much better then 1985 with the exception that we didn't have Hearsay, Steps and all those other manufactured bands.

It reminds me of my youth. I was 7 years then, and when i'm playing OFP it reminds me of that time because we we're always playing WAR outside in the bushes. We made sounds like "RATATATAAA, BOEM IEUWWWWW BANG.... YOU'RE DEATH.....NO, YOU MISSED.... NO I DID NOT...YES YOU DID FUCKER....MOMMYYYYY HE DOESN'T PLAY FARE HUUUUUUUUUUUU"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (InqWiper @ Feb. 07 2002,11:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lol!

You used words like that when you were 7? :-)<span id='postcolor'>

That is why i'm a tough guy now. My mom always slapped me in the face using that language sad.gif

In 1985 I would have been 12 then 13, happy memories but no it doesn't make me depressed, I have on occasion had an emotional reaction at times while playing the game which was curious, I remember playing the demo for the first time and seeing my "comrades" dying all around me, that felt very shocking, a reminder of the power of Opf, I also found the Red Hammer mission where the civilians were killed quite moving......

I was seven. And I have no idea what I was doing then. Infact, I am 23, and have no idea what I am doing now.

Only reason I got depressed was when i had to turn down the graphics levels to make it run smoothly.

I remember that the Tom Clancy/Larry Bond novel Red Storm Rising was first published in 1986, about a year after OFP takes place (I'm sure that the novel was one of the sources of inspiration for OFP's development crew wink.gif ).  Of course, that novel and those times must seem like a million years ago to the young'uns of today, but for some reason I remember those times like it was yesterday.   smile.gif

Damn, I'm old!   sad.gif

-G

I graduated High School in 1985 and I was in boot camp reading 'Hunt for Red October' in 1986.

I sure didn't feel old before I read this... wink.gif

Reading Red Storm Rising was really strange for me because I grew up in the former West Germany, and recognized so many places that were covered in the book. It really made you sit back and think about the fact that the scenario in the book wasn't all that far-fetched. After all, both super powers had battle plans for a conflict in Europe that would have played out very much like what Tom Clancy envisioned.

I read a similar book in theme, it was called WWIII. It was about a hypothetical war between the U.S. and Russia in the mid 80's. I think it was written by Ian Flemming, an old Aussie' military intelligence guy, interesting stuff.

BTW, I turned 2 in August 1985. biggrin.gif

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Feb. 08 2002,21:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I read a similar book in theme, it was called WWIII. It was about a hypothetical war between the U.S. and Russia in the mid 80's. I think it was written by Ian Flemming, an old Aussie' military intelligence guy, interesting stuff.

BTW, I turned 2 in August 1985.  biggrin.gif

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

Didn't he write the James Bond novels?

I think that WW3 book was actually written by John Hackett..a former UK military officer. I remember reading it back when I was about 12 (that probably shows my age) and thinking it was a bit blah..I think he later revised it and it was published again in the mid-late 80s after the success of "The Day After" and the other nuclear war scare movies/books of that era. Its kinda hard to explain to younger people today how we all felt or (were made to feel..) in the late 70s/early 80s when a superpower nuclear exchange still seemed to be just around the corner every few months.

american was scared and feared russia!

we had nukes!

we had hind which are best! ahahhahahah MI-24 are the best!

shilka ahahhaha is cool!

hell we had more nukes that we had nuke factorys to store them in.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">american was scared and feared russia!

we had nukes!

we had hind which are best! ahahhahahah MI-24 are the best!

shilka ahahhaha is cool!

hell we had more nukes that we had nuke factorys to store them in.<span id='postcolor'>

And you wonder why I'm tempted to flame you? Seriously kid, you must be no more than 10 or 11, your maturity reflects it.

Anyways, I am pretty sure it was Ian Flemming,.... that was the first name that came to mind. Though I might be wrong, I honestly have never heard of the guy before, until I read the book. Maybe the names are similar? Who knows?

I will have to do some searching.....more than a few different WWIII books have been written by different people.

Tyler

P.S. I love how the topics in "off topic" always go off topic, biggrin.gif

i was but a lad in 85, the campage takes place around my 3rd birthday...

does it depress me? nope

Sure..plenty of WW3 books in those days..the one I was thinking of ends after a UK city (Birmingham or Manchester I think) gets hit by a Soviet nuclear weapon and the Brits respond by firing a single Polaris missile from a sub at Murmansk (I think)..there were alot of odd things in the book, e.g. he refers to the US army using platoons of XM-1 tanks - that was just the designation of the prototype M1 or something at the time (there was a joint German/US tank project that failed in the 70s with a similar name he could have meant). The book had a cheesy photo insert section with B&W pics of some of the featured hardware..including that same old Polaris launch photo you see everywhere.

Fleming definately was the Bond author and was indeed a former Brit intelligence worker..however he died in 1964, long before the book I'm thinking of was written.

i was 1,then i was two,,,,when will the horror of being a teenager end AAAAAAAAAAAAARAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

G

i guess its a good thing that i was only born in 1986. by the time i could think for myself pretty much all the wars and worries were over. heck i barely even remember the gulf war