Sign in to follow this  

3D Craters

Okay, rather quite a small and simple addon but is pretty cool and looks good. Also there wont be an update on this and am only releasing cause I might aswell even if ArmA is out but meh. biggrin_o.gif

The idea behind it is that craters are now 3D basically. Apologies that there are currently no pictures of this as I am currently unable to install OFP onto my computer as my CD drives are a bit broken, but I'm sure a kind member of the community can do that.

Anyway, like I said the addon makes 3D craters which replace the current OFP 2D craters. But these don't just appear underneath tank explosions but also bullet holes are also now 3D.

However the addon also comes with a bug here and there. Like if a craters is made on the side of a hill of mountain then half of it is buried, this is an engine limitation as far as I know.

But the best way to see if you like this is to try it, so heres some links...

Download link 1 (626Kb) - YouSendIt link (Fixed)

Installation

Okay, once downloaded you will notice in the .rar file there are two folders "Model" and "Texture" to install unpbo using an unpbo tool (found in the download) the Data and Data3d files found in your OFP/dta directory (make a back up first) now copy and paste the file found under model into your Data3d.pbo file and replace it. Now copy the file found under the texture folder into your Data.pbo file and paste over.

Now you need to re pbo these two Data.pbo and Data3d.pbo and then replace over the current files (backup first!wink_o.gif

Like any other addon BIS, Codemasters or myself can not be blamed if anything is to go wrong (which nothing should do). Use this at your own risk.

Thankyou to who ever made these files the crater and the texture. I apologise but the author of these two are unknown and if you do recognize these as your work and would like them to be taken down just PM me.

Also im sorry for no readme but this post explains everything the readme would have done.

Think thats all.

The texture's path is wrong and should be replaced by "Data\krater_02.paa" instead of "Data\crater.paa", otherwise you would keep getting a white crater in-game.

Certainly, a nice idea that could be further developed,

regards,

TB

Cheers TB for the notice shall fix straight away, been a while since i did this myself so forgot biggrin_o.gif

Also Marckasis2 sorry but no pic for reasons I've already stated in my post.

Edit - TB just checked the folder with this on and its correct, so checked the .rar and thats correct.

@456820

Is this addon only meant to work with OFPR vanilla and not when running other mods? I'm using FFSX2007 (with SamotH's 3rd version pack) and I am not seeing the 3D craters after I replaced the files (dePBOed and rePBOed) according the directions. Thanks

@battle hampster

If using the extra pack from ffur then you will need to copy the files into the extra pack's data.pbo and data3d.pbo files.

Try running standard ofp you should notice the difference.

A picture would be nice, as the saying goes a picture can say a thousand words smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Edit - TB just checked the folder with this on and its correct, so checked the .rar and thats correct.

This issue isn't related to the .rar folder but to the .p3d model itself, use O2 or a texture swap tool to notice it.

If people would incorporate it to their data\dta3d folders they would be noticing "white" crater models in-game.

Regards,

TB

Quote[/b] ]Apologies that there are currently no pictures of this as I am currently unable to install OFP onto my computer as my CD drives are a bit broken

I quote myself from the first post.

Thanks TB get you now, shall fix.

Edit - Fixed, first link updated. Installation remains the same.

Also i forgot to delete the Krater_o2 texture cause i uploaded the file before realizing.

nice one, they look like the crater holes that came with ECP

About the " half burried " thing , the model for the crater should have properties of fence i think , this way it should follow the contour of the hill

Thanks for the tip, but i'm not o2 user so don't have a clue how to change that biggrin_o.gif

Also i didn't plan on making any newer versions.

79415103bn5.jpg

36272943gv5.jpg

70471772wc9.jpg

66477711kj0.jpg

YAY CD Drives are fixed so theres your pictures biggrin_o.gif

sorry...but the file has been expired again... banghead.gif

maybe you should upload it somewhere else wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]sorry...but the file has been expired again... banghead.gif

maybe you should upload it somewhere else

Shall re-up again. I'll look for a permanent host.

Shall post link asap.

Yes, please upload it again I will host it on OFP.Info afterwards

I converted the craters from ECP into a seperate addon for my own use (In Libmod) some time ago, what I did to make it look more naturally fitting into OFP is to add an extra face along the ground wth an alpha channel'd dirt texture so that it got rid of those sharp edges that are on the model.

The sharp edges are what turned me of to be honest. Also, you need to create a setobjecttexture option to it, or create seperate crater addons, so that they can be used on different maps. Really you need to look at different popular maps and do crates for them.

Well I'm no experienced modeler so I'm afraid they are as they are and I don't plan on making any changes - only cause i cant and don't know how and don't really wish to learn modeling.

Also link shall be coming within a few hours hopefully.