Sign in to follow this  
NaveReyem

ArmA for PS3 or xbox 360?

i was just thinking, with armed assault needing so much computing power to run, why not take it to the console market with xbox 360.. i mean, Bohemia has done it with Flashpoint:Elite (which was way underrated) but why not go to the next level, make it for the playstation 3. With its cell processor it should be able to maximize everything you could in Armed Assault with no problems, but xbox360 already has xbox live up and usable.. so which one should they port to (if any)?

Not sure on this one. I am a fan of mouse-controlled fighting and can't conceive of playing the game on a console with a controller designed to take finger-imposed directional-input... I could be wrong, but Grand Theft Auto was far less playable on a PS2 than it was on the PC. The mouse made all the difference.

As for the PS3, I believe it costs just marginally less than a real M1A1 Abrahams MBT.. cough up the extra $5 or so and you can have the real thing!

yeah bingo, i sortof agree with that, i think mouse is better than a joystick, but playing a joystick can still be en'joy'able, heck, i like halo, and im not afraid to admit it. anyways, bohemia already proved that an Ofp based control scheme can work fine on a console controller with ofp:e, so i wouldnt really use the Mouse vs Joystick argument here. crazy_o.gif

AFAIK there are no plans to take Arma to the consoles.

Just think of the keys you have assigned with Arma. That makes it a pretty tough deal to convert it to console and furthermore I guess that BIS has it´s focus on OFP 2 and Arma content for PC now, so I don´t think there are any plans to transport it to console.

I guess there even has been a thread like that some time ago that got locked because there are no plans. I could be wrong though with all that nonsense around lately. smile_o.gif

yeah i know there are no official plans for anything like this, i just wanted a poll for.. just say IF they did decide to do it, which system people would prefer.

A poll like this has little sense on a board where PC gamers are vast majority, and when they are very likely to already own a PC version - an interest in a a console version is not much likely in such situation.

I agree to ArmA on PS3 or XBOX360 on condition that there will be no delay concerning with GAME2. But BIS seems to be very busy on making patches of ArmA and making GAME2. tounge2.gif

Please don't port ArmA to any console! crazy_o.gif

I'd rather have BIS spending their time on ArmA patches and Game 2.

Console games should not be encouraged. All games ported from consoles to the PC smell console and they smell like shit. More and more games are made for consoles first, using crappy controls and tech. Just look how Rainbow Six etc was ruined.

First person Shooters were born on the PC and there is no substitute for a mouse and keyboard in terms of intuitive aiming and movement.

Consoles are good for 3rd person role playing games or fantasy FPS's like Halo but when it comes to the gaming Hobbyist then the PC, with the ability to mod sims/games, will always be the better and more immersive choice. Look a what UBI have done to the rainbow six series in their pursuit to shift a serious tactical FPS from PC to console. Its basically now a copy and paste job from console to PC and with Vegas I believe we as PC gamers have seen the last bone in that franchise thrown our way.

I have an Xbox and I just canceled my online subscription, i hardly ever played online with it anyway but when I did it was mostly Halo and the way you connect to games just got a little too frustrating for me. I don't know why they are so fixated on the whole optimatch thing it really is just a pain in the you know what when you have to connect to a different server every 5 to ten minutes. You end up spending 30 to 50% of your time connecting to what they see as Big Team battles of only 16 payers then when its done its back to the connecting window.. Arrg. The odd thing is if you look at the lockdown demo you can see console written all over the connection procedure and that kind of lack of control will kill online PC gaming for sure.

And may i ask?

Why Xbox or PS have keyboard+mouse adapters or something like that in their catalogs??? crazy_o.gif

They could get hell of a lot more buyers!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Then even Arma could`t be ported to consule

p.s   i don`t own any consules

And may i ask?

Why Xbox or PS have keyboard+mouse adapters or something like that in their catalogs??? crazy_o.gif

They could get hell of a lot more buyers!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Then even Arma could`t be ported to consule

p.s i don`t own any consules

They do have a mouse/ keyboard and it can be very obvious online who actually is using them but the controls are still limited to amount of buttons on a console. Also there are issues with targeting, with some games, because the aiming reticule is set up for two thumb sticks rather than a mouse, as well as the fact that 8 aside (16 players) is a huge room for a game like Halo witch is one of the biggest Online games in the world.

However once you've experience the freedom that PC's give you then IMO gaming online with a console is like trying to juggle while wearing a straitjacket.

A poll like this has little sense on a board where PC gamers are vast majority, and when they are very likely to already own a PC version - an interest in a a console version is not much likely in such situation.

Agreed that this board can be considered as hostile towards anything (even remotely) related towards consoles ...

... but could you indicate what WOULD be the proper place for such an ArmA/360 discussion? Should it be in the 'Elite' board or are we (as perhaps dumb but nevertheless tactical interested console gamers, btw i HAVE ArmA/PC v1.05, have Elite, have a 360, have a clan of 25, partly interested in ArmA/360 and love XBL which on last count has 6 milllion subscribers) still forced to use the 'Off-topic' board (which by default can't be taken serious as it is Off-topic)

Quote[/b] ]... but could you indicate what WOULD be the proper place for such an ArmA/360 discussion?

I guess you got me wrong. I am not against such discussion at all, and I am not telling the discussion is improper here, I am just warning that the poll the results are inherently biased, as the "population sample" used is not selected well (as statistician would tell wink_o.gif ).

Warning to anyone trying to read between the lines: there is no hidden meaning here, and what I wrote does not mean we will make console version of ArmA, and at the same time it does not we will not make it. Basically it does not mean anything more than exactly what it says, or if you prefer, it does not mean anything at all. icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

None. I'd rather seee BIS keep their focus on ArmA (patches/expansions) and Game 2 for the next years.

Quote[/b] ]... but could you indicate what WOULD be the proper place for such an ArmA/360 discussion?

I guess you got me wrong. I am not against such discussion at all, and I am not telling the discussion is improper here, I am just warning that the poll the results are inherently biased, as the "population sample" used is not selected well (as statistician would tell ;)  ).

Warning to anyone trying to read between the lines: there is no hidden meaning here, and what I wrote does not mean we will make console version of ArmA, and at the same time it does not  we will not make it. Basically it does not mean anything more than exactly what it says, or if you prefer, it does not mean anything at all.  :rolleyes:

LOL:)

Anyway, thx for the quick reply, and i promise not to read between the lines (... but i am curious as to what the future will or won't bring us;)

the controls are still limited to amount of buttons on a console

So, you have a key for 'salute' and a key for 'throw grenade'. You meet your commanding officer, it is dark (in your game room) and you throw a grenade at him ... i never liked the zillion-keys games:)

(Well, it is friday, work is done, i thought, what the heck:)

I think it would be good. If it does go to consoles, I hope it goes multi-platform though. If OFP already worked on a console, controls and all. I don't think ArmA would be much different.

ArmA has been partially designed as a huge modding platform for the community. Wouldn't console gamers miss out on all these mods if there were a console version?  smile_o.gif

ArmA has been partially designed as a huge modding platform for the community. Wouldn't console gamers miss out on all these mods if there were a console version? :)

And that is an argument?

What that implies is that ArmA out-of-the-box with a mission editor is a BAD game. So ... Is it at the current state (no mods to my knowledge, well, i have no mods installed) a BAD game?

I'd much rather have BIS work on ArmA's patches... and if they have any spare time.. Game2

Consoles are essentially tiny PC's.. and Since PC's will always pwn consoles, it's pointless me thinks. Unless of course BIS doubles its team size to 80 smile_o.gif

why cant there be such a thing a thing as a PC EXLCUSIVE RELEASE? .. i mean people who brought consoles knew the downsides like not being able to modify the game to your liking.. so why cant us PC users just keep this title for ourselves?

It is a choice between a niche product and a mass market product.

If BIS want to keep it small (perhaps they have to, seeing the small team), you guys are lucky .... you can keep it all for yourself ... well until BIS goes bankrupt that is.

You can pay a lousy 40$ on which BIS has to live another 5 years ... now, how supportive is THAT. You guys really seem to think BIS can live forever on thin air.

In fact, i'd say the attitude of the majority here is quite hopeless. You have no heart for the OFP/ArmA universe, you only think of your egoistic self.

Max shakes his head:(

ArmA has been partially designed as a huge modding platform for the community. Wouldn't console gamers miss out on all these mods if there were a console version?  smile_o.gif

And that is an argument?

What that implies is that ArmA out-of-the-box with a mission editor is a BAD game. So ... Is it at the current state (no mods to my knowledge, well, i have no mods installed) a BAD game?

Ahem! ...Did I just call ArmA a bad game? Or did I just ask a very polite question about addons and mods and lack of for console?

max I know you are very passionate about XBox 360 it shows in many many posts!  tounge2.gif  If you are happy to have a game like ArmA on a console and miss out on all the new content coming out every day that is fine! You see like many others here I am very bias towards PC's as you can tell, so I'm not even going to consider buying a console for ArmA or any other fps for that matter! You see max I love my trackball mouse and the total versatility of a PC for editing and modding and no number of wild horses is gonna drag me onto a couch to twiddle a controller over a TV screen in order to play a shooting game! Driving games possibly but not a shooting game!  pistols.gif

Bottom line for me is that I would rather that BIS spent their time improving ArmA as a PC experience! ... Oh, and max; .. no offence intended!  smile_o.gif