Sign in to follow this  
derfalpha

Campaign Quality Has Stepped Down A Notch

The first time (a long time ago biggrin_o.gif ) that I read about Arma, it was clear from day one that this was going more towards multiplayer, than it was singleplayer as OFP exelled in SP. Perhaps this is why the SP-missions arn`t that worked trough? And i also think that it is impossible for BI, or any other company for that matter, to recreate what they did with OFP. The new kind of game that it was, will never be experienced again in that magnitude in my humle opinion. Maybe that is why we feal somewhat (or very much) dissapointed in Arma? that and the numorus bugs of course.

I´m neither a fanatic fanboy of BI but I´m not peeing on them either. Just trying to think twice (sometimes atleast biggrin_o.gif )

It does seem weird. The fact that everybody speaks english kinda bothers me. It seems pretty clear why the map is like it is. They made it similar to Nogova because that way it can have a wide variety of terrain for when its used in VBS2.

The plot just seemed pointless to me. In CWC it seemed there was a constant cause of worry. The whole plot was filled with tension, as you felt that the russians could get angry and start throwing nukes about at any moment. The game really felt like you were fighting to prevent a nuclear war.

The "war" in arma just felt like a turkey shoot for the americans, with no possible way for them to loose. It kinda feels like the first Iraq war. A stupid and crazy leader decides to attack one of america's friends, and america comes to protect their ally, and completely annihilates the enemy. It just seemed so weak when the first game felt like it was important on a global scale.

Tbh, I think the plot would have worked better if they'd said sahrani was a British colony in asia, like Hong Kong was, and then have the chinese invade it. (Or a crazy chinese splinter group). At least that way it'd feel like you've got a formidable and dangerous opponent.

And i also think that it is impossible for BI, or any other company for that matter, to recreate what they did with OFP.

wrong. try the single mission "Blood Sweat and Tears". it's just like old OpF. i wonder why the campaign isn't of the same quality.

And i also think that it is impossible for BI, or any other company for that matter, to recreate what they did with OFP.

wrong. try the single mission "Blood Sweat and Tears". it's just like old OpF. i wonder why the campaign isn't of the same quality.

If your`e going to quote someone, plz dont lift out single sentences that put it out of context.

"And i also think that it is impossible for BI, or any other company for that matter, to recreate what they did with OFP. The new kind of game that it was, will never be experienced again in that magnitude in my humle opinion."

This is what I wrote and that belongs together.

I´m talking about a whole game not a single mission.

If your`e going to quote someone, plz dont lift out single sentences that put it out of context.

"And i also think that it is impossible for BI, or any other company for that matter, to recreate what they did with OFP. The new kind of game that it was, will never be experienced again in that magnitude in my humle opinion."

This is what I wrote and that belongs together.

I´m talking about a whole game not a single mission.

doesn't matter at all.

just try that mission and you'll see what i mean. i agree that OpF was special back then, and ArmA cannot in any way live up to that. you're perfectly correct about that.

but i'm talking about mission presentation, story and characters. that's what made the OpF campaign great, and that's what's missing in ArmA.

but try "Blood Sweat and Tears". it has exactly the same style as the old OpF missions.

I think that we are saying the same thing but in different words. I have of course played Blood,sweat...." and as you I thought it was great. But one mission doesnt make a game. What i was trying to say is that Arma is primarily a multiplayer game (asfar as I have understood atleast) and maybe thats why BI havn`t tried to make a SP-campaign in the same spirit as they did in OFP.

But this is as always MY thoughts.

Cheers and have a good gaming!

I think that we are saying the same thing but in different words. I have of course played Blood,sweat...." and as you I thought it was great. But one mission doesnt make a game. What i was trying to say is that Arma is primarily a multiplayer game (asfar as I have understood atleast) and maybe thats why BI havn`t tried to make a SP-campaign in the same spirit as they did in OFP.

my thoughts exactly. i just wonder why it was possible to make "Blood Sweat and Tears" in perfect Flashpoint fashion while the rest of ArmA isn't of that same quality at all.

i also agree about the focus on multiplayer. which i find sad, because OpF was primarily an SP game and i expected the same from ArmA. but i'm hoping for an expansion focusing on SP instead, with new missions and campaigns.

Arma is not primarily a MP game, it might not ship with the greatest SP campaign but the potential is there and greater than OPFR.

You have many new features, scripting comands, etc at your disposal.

I can imagine a brilliant campaign in Arma, with varied and realistic missions, good plot, characters, etc. Even use that resistance feature where your men and gear pass from one mission to another and some alternative missions too.

The problem is that creating it would require alot of time and effort plus good voice actors... its hard to find enough time for playing let alone editing a large, quality campaign with strong plot and characters.

I didnt say that there is anything wrong with the editor did I?

I only said that what I read from various magazines when the first pictures of Arma was released, was that it was aimed MORE towards multiplayer than OFP. Thats all.

Dont shoot the messenger biggrin_o.gif

But as long as none (spelling!?) of us are with BI (or are you??) we can only guess, I guess.

And I still belive that nomatter what campaign they had made, the impact and "wow"-factor can never be the same as when OFP came out.

But again, just my thoughts.

The problem is that creating it would require alot of time and effort plus good voice actors... its hard to find enough time for playing let alone editing a large, quality campaign with strong plot and characters.

well, apparently they did have enough time to do all that for the 505 exclusive "Blood Sweat and Tears". so, how come they could do it for that single mission but not for everything else?

well, apparently they did have enough time to do all that for the 505 exclusive "Blood Sweat and Tears". so, how come they could do it for that single mission but not for everything else?

This "Blood Sweat and Tears" is ambiguous.

Who lost blood, sweat and tears? The german,czech,polish betatesters.

And who gets the mission? The german,czech,polish betatesters .... NOT! nener.gif

Thanks for nothing. It's a disgrace this exclusive Mumbo Jumbo.

Maybe BIS is working on more missions or campaign called "the return on informations - ROI" ? smile_o.gif

Well... im guessing that BIS didnt focus so much on the campaign, we know that Arma's developing time and budget were short plus there might have been some other internal problems.

Its possible that the code wasnt all that functional when the campaign was being built (ence the errors).

I think BIS focused on the most important thing, the engine.

And still Arma came out early and rough (its alot better now).

If Arma would sell like crazy an expantion with a great campaign and new content would be more likely smile_o.gif .

Thanks for nothing. It's a disgrace this exclusive Mumbo Jumbo.

agreed. why not throw that mission in the patch? it's not like ArmA already had SP content in abundance, really.

As I explained several times before - shut up guys, I do not give advises to BI, just recommendations - I would like to see that BI concentrates on the bugs in the engine rather then fixing missions or addon-configs.

Nevertheless I also suggested that the first - pretty much fuc*ed early ArmA adopters should get some bonus missions and addons as a sign of good will and compensation. But instead BI is landing another PR GAU, the early customers in Poland, Czech and Germany are almost the only excluded from some extra content. Was it that difficult to buy some excellent mission maker out of the community to make a real good and fine tuned mission or a mission set? And give it with the next patch just for 2 weeks earlier to PL, CZ,D? It is cheap money, just Sahrani-Dollar!

And would have brought so much good will back to BI. But no, the opposite happens. I guess it is time to fill the position of the PR manager again. To be clear, I do not really care about the extra mission, but I guess it is time for a sign to those who alphatested 1.01. I feel more and more like a Squirrel fuc*ed by an elephant.

Sorry BI for the harsh words again. But to solve it:

Could we organize a kind of competition for a community made SP and a MP that will be included in the next 1.06 or 1.07 patch? Since patches are international I guess a local release per country would not bring exclusivity to CZ,PL,D. I would rather set as framework for the competition that the virtual scene should be in the German/Czech/Polish border area triangle and all 3 flags must be used.

For example:

Czech and Germany are in a conflict because German Radeberger brewers acused that they stolen the Czech Staropramen formula. But it turned out that evil American Budweiser brewers operated that mission from Polish ground.......so make something out of it yay.gif

erm, i can't quite make out what side your on;

As I explained several times before - shut up guys, I do not give advises to BI, just recommendations - I would like to see that BI concentrates on the bugs in the engine rather then fixing missions or addon-configs.

i find this rather offensive. you don't have to tell anybody what to do, OK? here you sound like all the other mindless fanboys.

Nevertheless I also suggested that the first - pretty much fuc*ed early ArmA adopters should get some bonus missions and addons as a sign of good will and compensation. But instead BI is landing another PR GAU, the early customers in Poland, Czech and Germany are almost the only excluded from some extra content. Was it that difficult to buy some excellent mission maker out of the community to make a real good and fine tuned mission or a mission set? And give it with the next patch just for 2 weeks earlier to PL, CZ,D? It is cheap money, just Sahrani-Dollar!

And would have brought so much good will back to BI. But no, the opposite happens. I guess it is time to fill the position of the PR manager again. To be clear, I do not really care about the extra mission, but I guess it is time for a sign to those who alphatested 1.01. I feel more and more like a Squirrel fuc*ed by an elephant.

Sorry BI for the harsh words again. But to solve it:

Could we organize a kind of competition for a community made SP and a MP that will be included in the next 1.06 or 1.07 patch? Since patches are international I guess a local release per country would not bring exclusivity to CZ,PL,D. I would rather set as framework for the competition that the virtual scene should be in the German/Czech/Polish border area triangle and all 3 flags must be used.

however, this is pretty much what has been said before, and what we would all agree on.

so, whose side are you on, anyway?  huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]Czech and Germany are in a conflict because German Radeberger brewers acused that they stolen the Czech Staropramen formula. But it turned out that evil American Budweiser brewers operated that mission from Polish ground.......so make something out of it

Genius...

I have a title for the campain : Band of Budweisers

@ Fred DM:

Quote[/b] ]

Quote (INNOCENT&CLUELESS @ Mar. 13 2007,10:16)

Was just to avoid that everyone is as usual jumping on me that I should not give advises to BI. Sorry for the sound. Right, sounds odd.

Quote[/b] ]erm, i can't quite make out what side your on

I am on my side. And a strong defender of Czech brewery tradition.

What about the competition? If BI does not pick this up or if they do not come with any other goody, shall we run it anyway? A kind of Conquer The Beer Barrel CTBB? 3 factions have to steel barrels out of their 2 opponents brewery and bring it to their own bottling factory? And to make sure that no barrel gets lost from the way from the own brewery to the bottling factory? Only Infantry, trucks, jeeps and transport copters with MG? We can use almost same uniforms vehicles and so on, on the factories the CZ/PL/D flags are up and at the uniform and vehicles are with the flag too.

Quote[/b] ]What about the competition? If BI does not pick this up or if they do not come with any other goody, shall we run it anyway? A kind of Conquer The Beer Barrel CTBB? 3 factions have to steel barrels out of their 2 opponents brewery and bring it to their own bottling factory? And to make sure that no barrel gets lost from the way from the own brewery to the bottling factory? Only Infantry, trucks, jeeps and transport copters with MG? We can use almost same uniforms vehicles and so on, on the factories the CZ/PL/D flags are up and at the uniform and vehicles are with the flag too.

lol I&C

With this suggestion you would just make an old ctf tuning

up with eyecandy and tell the ppl it's something new.

Not that it isn't a constructive suggestion but in general it's

the same lots of ppl are accusing BIS for not having brought

up something new but eyecandy.

~S~ CD

I know it is not brilliant, but "make something out of it" as I said. maybe just CTI with transporting beer barrels or whatever. Even if it is just repainting something old, at least it would be a sign. Or scripting the barrels in a way that we could do barrel tossing and randomly it is Staropram in the barrel (you get points) or american bud in it and then everyone gets poisoned...also the warehouse with the good beer smile_o.gif

If the mission would be less serious, there would be a smaller risk of conflicts with reallity, and the way barrels and tanks jumping could be used.

@ Fred DM:
Quote[/b] ]

Quote (INNOCENT&CLUELESS @ Mar. 13 2007,10:16)

Was just to avoid that everyone is  as usual jumping on me that I should not give advises to BI. Sorry for the sound. Right, sounds odd.

a misunderstanding, then. my apologies. wink_o.gif