Sign in to follow this  
model 101

How is the AI?

Any significant improvments over ofp? like veichle handling combat initiative etc. It was very tedious when your squad ran low on ammo and you had to go through like 50 menues just to get them to pick up some more. Or when the AI wouldent drive in a straight line when you were in a hurry to a waypoint.

Im really looking forward to Arma as i love ofp. If there is some AI improvements im even more hyped.

In my experience, the stock 1.02 AI isn't good.

However, BIS said they would improve AI behavior in the next patch (1.05). Also with the new FSM editing, I think arma might have the best AI potential in a year or so after all the tools are released.

Until then, the user Kronzky made a urban patrol script that allows you to make or play missions that have improved AI.

In the demo the AI seem stupid in some circumstances but much smarter in others. I don't think it's worse. They seem a little more aggressive. They seem smart enough in the Coop game, but they do tend to get hung up on fences and such in CTI.

I think i heard somewhere that AI is affected by how well ur PC runs the game. im not sure.

Thats not true, the AI isn't affected by how well your PC runs ARMA. It doesn't make any sense.

In my experience, they're about the same.

I feel I've seen ai go pick stuff up randomly, but I'm not sure... maybe it was just a wet dream... Haven't played enough to really tell.

AI leaders will tell ai and players to go pick stuff up at a location, but I think for the rearm to work it needs to be of the same ammo. They don't seem exchange an m4 for an AK for instance. They'll pick up grenades though.

But if you're leader there's a new option under Action called "Gear" where they will go (I think) to the nearest ammo or weapon dump/body and once they reach it you get the a similar window to the one you use when you pick up gear, instead it'll be for the ai. So, not an independent ai thing, but I suppose not half bad either. It's a lot faster than going through the Action menu listing several times anyway.

ai is supposed to get dumber if the cpu is at its limits... but that i read on cpu adverdisment tounge2.gif Anyway they are a bit better than ofp-s but still need a lot of optimising.

AI has a critical flaw in spotting behaviour.

This is confirmed and is going to be adressed by Suma.

There are several other "weak" areas, including pathfinding and cover usage.

Problems still apply to v1.04 and i bet mostly will exists also in v1.05.

AI bugs thread Reference:

"Please fix the AI" thread

Major Bugs/Issues:

Issues with spotting & movement

AI suicidal behaviour

Spotting bug

Check the BTS for a complete list of the issues/bugs:

http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view_all_bug_page.php

Thats not true, the AI isn't affected by how well your PC runs ARMA. It doesn't make any sense.

In my experience, they're about the same.

One of the developers has stated that it matters on these forums.

I didn't play ArmA campaign or SP missions. Instead I dug out the ArmA version of MFCTI and played against AI opponent. I was really surprised by AI behaviour. Of course bots are no campers. But they don't seem to be always running in a suicidal charge either. They do exhibit proper formation / fire movement. They would outflank you or suppress and close the distance with you. I played MFCTI online with my buddies who have at least 5 years of OFP experience and would consider themselves absolute vets. And even they were scratching their heads - kept on respawning over and over again. As anything in this game AI behaviour has to be customized in settings if you really want to be challenged. In Difficulty control panel AI intellegence has to be set to "custom" (maximum, 1.0 setting). Then you'll get the most out of it. But then again I saw many times an APC being engaged by AI with a hand gun. Good thing AI doesn't do the same with tanks. Can't wait for 1.05 patch.

BTW is it me or isn't it supposed to be out already. Today is Feb.27th. Only one day left in the month of February. C'mon, BIS, don't f**k this up! It was promised by the end of February, I can't believe they are leaving it till the last day!!!

There are already scripts out there (like Krontzky's Urban Patrol Script) and patch 1.05 will bring new AI as devs already confirmed.

AI can really shine sometimes, i saw a miner soldier that he crawled near the BLUFOR patrol, set a charge and run away to blow them up smile_o.gif and AI can enter the buildings and suprise you there from the rooftop...

At some point in the campaign I noticed my medic was missing. Turned out he was helping a wounded civilian a few hundred meters back. smile_o.gif

It is improving, and it sounds like it will continue to do so. It;s not all peaches though. I mentioned on another thread that newly in 1.04 the presence of helicopters causes infantry to take shelter at gas stations. Blow it up = easy 10+ kills.

http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gasstationpz6.jpg

They run there, ignoring other buildings along the way which would offer much better shelter. They seem quite keen on camping in a building that's easy to destroy with an M2 biggrin_o.gif

The idea is nice, better building choice would be cool.