Sign in to follow this  
satexas69

Dedicated Server - Hardware Requirements?

I have a large Internet data pipe - that's not the problem.

Like I did with OPF, I'm going to run a dedicated game server - but I'm concerned with the new hardware requirements.

1. Does the dedicated server support dual-processors?

2. Does the dedicated server need a decent video card, or is it just an engine that runs, therefore making the video card a moot point?

3. I'd like to run "large" missions, those with a few hundred units at least - has anyone done this, and what type of hardware are you using and lag experienced?

Thanks in advance.

My current server: Pentium D 940 w/2 GIGS DDR2 RAM on WinXP (I hope this is adequate)

doesnt support dual core atm, but they are looking into this now that the 505 version has been released 'allegedly' tounge2.gif

you dont need a video card to run any dedicated server game,

as to your third question you will have to test it for yourself,dead bodies are still a major problem when you get onto the bigger missions, and load times become insane when a server has been running a large map for a period of time...

sson to be fixed we all hope with 1.05 release notworthy.gif

Thank you for the reply..

I've heard of a script that removes dead bodies.. I wonder if that would help?

I've been running dedicated server on 6mb/512kb cable modem on XP 2500+ machine. It could host 10+ players easily and hordes of AI without lag so I think your setup can host very big battles.

I've been running dedicated server on 6mb/512kb cable modem on XP 2500+ machine. It could host 10+ players easily and hordes of AI without lag so I think your setup can host very big battles.

I was just about to ask this, thanks.

I am going to start hosting a small UK server on a Athlon 2800+, 1GB, XP PRO.

Do I need to install the whole ARMA game on my second Pc aswell as the below?

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....1006005

Also while Im here what ports do I need to forward on my router?

Thanks!

Afaik?

u need to install the game to the other pc+dedi server file!

ports are:-

2302 , 2303 , 2305 smile_o.gif

Afaik?

u need to install the game to the other pc+dedi server file!

ports are:-

2302 , 2303 , 2305 smile_o.gif

Thanks for the port info, I did a bit more digging and found this :

To install a standalone server

* Install the corresponding version of the game on any machine (you will need ArmA DVD for this)

* Add the ArmA_Server.exe file to the same directory as ArmA.exe. Copy your already installed ArmA directory on to the server.

* Create a configuration file for your server. See server.cfg for further information.

So as far I can make out I dont actually need to install the game on my server I just copy over the directory and server.exe??? Does this mean I can put that directory anywhere on my server?

Any help appreciated! Thanks

ah yeah sorry my bad!!!

yes just copy over your Arma directory!! smile_o.gif posting again sober! wink_o.gif

After a bit of playing I got my server up and running last night. It runs fine on my spec as long as I dont allow too many players, look out for it in the evenings under the name :

Ninjia^s Dedicated UK Co-Op

Thanks again.

I have a 2.4Ghz server with 1GB RAM and with 10-12 players on, the dedicated server has an FPS of 3-6 which is far from impressive if this is the server "ticks".

same here. have a XP2500+ with 2 gigs of ram and 8 gbit bidirect internet connection (its a housed server) and i get with 10 players ~ 6-10 fps on the server (depending on the missions). hope that 1.05 will be more stable and faster.

On our 16AAB servers we have noticed a big desync problem with multiplayer maps, which doesnt happen with CoOp maps with the same number of players.

I've experienced that on Coop-mission Air Cavalry 2.0.2. I got a message of Cobra 2 down which my friend flew and when he flew to pick me up I saw it as a (flying) wreck with no rotor, burned out, and noone in cockpit. I was unable to get in the chopper. He had to fly back and repair it infront of me to solve it.

At the same time my friend had rain pissing down while I had sun and blue sky.

Edit: We were only 2 on the server...

From OFP and ArmA experience thus far; (this is Coop stuff mind!wink_o.gif

-CPU power = most important asset of an ArmA/OFP server

-If you're running below 15fps, your servers struggling.

-The Max your server runs at is 48fps - any additional CPU power ends up as "slack"

-If your server starts dropping below 48, 100% CPU is being used.

Not so sure on this in ArmA but in ofp

-Each player you had on = 2-3 server FPS. Ie, if a mission ran with 30 FPS with 1 player on, then with 5 on you could expect it to run around 15 - 20FPS.

-The mission was mainly what dictated FPS, not the number of players.

Careful testing is needed to get a feel as to how many units your server can handle and how many players you expect to have playing. Of course there are many ways you can make missions more challenging for more players without increasing CPU load! Emplacements, depth positions, etc....

Volcbat use an AMD 4600+ wt 2gb RAM, i've seen a mission with 10 guys on run at 48FPS, and a mission with 14 run at 20FPS - both were a challenge, niether ran horribly, but one was built with performance kept in mind, and the other was considerably more intense. With careful forethought, mission making, and of course, testing and refinement, i bet i could get 30 guys on a mission on our server and still have good FPS and challenging gameplay - alot of it will be down to you - more server power simply increases the threshold of what you can get away with!

Another thing to keep in mind - windows XP is not particually hot for hosting servers on - somewhere in it, it has a fit if more than a certain number of people are connected to it. Ideally, a dedi with Windows Server 2003 is what you want.....of course, it gets expensive confused_o.gif

Has anyone been able to compare VMware vs native Windows performance?