Sign in to follow this  
zee-ub00r-assi

Bell UH-1 Y wip

So , maybe you already know this baby from all those game2 screens , but nevertheless : why wait so long ??

I want to create something between the Little Birds and the Black Hawks , and the UH-1y seems to be a perfectly balanced for troop-transport and fire-support ... not to froget : it looks badass ....

so this is my first serious project in 3dsmax , im currently using the 30-day-trial version of release number 9 , which will become unvalid in 10 days ... im going to order the educational-version in about a week so i can keep on modelling .

soooo , here is what it should look like in the end :

afsbgmk7.th.png

and here is what it looks like at the moment :

uh1ywipda8.th.jpg

it took me about one week to find the right technique and , most important thing , to find the "autosmooth"-button ... nevertheless i still have to learn this smoothing-groups stuff

i started with a big box , 2 sides and extruded, scaled and moved my way until i reached the tail rotor .

the nose (one of the most difficult things , definatly needs some tweaking later ) was made of one half of a sphere .

i brought the two objects together via boolean union  and then connected them .

uh1ywip1kg0.th.jpg

so , expect to see (in two year's time yay.gif ) a bell uh-1y helo in armed assault   .

But first i have to find a texturer ( ... or is it possible to make decent textutres in gimp 2  huh.gif) and , of course , get into ArmA-modding when the tools are released .

thx to abs for some answers on basic questions

C&C demanded

Yeah...looks very good so far smile_o.gif Keep it up

Looks excellent for your first addon. Maye the tail is abit thick but thats nothing you aren't able to fix. wink_o.gif

Yeah it indeed looks nice ... but still .. the UH-1 was replaced by the UH-60 and I think that the Blackhawk did its job very well to this very day .... so I do not really see the necessarity for the Huey in the game.

I mean is: why have a T-72B in the game when we have a T-72M1 ?

Fantastic idea ,

I can only admire that you have took on such a big project and the fact your risking it with trial software and hoping you will be able to keep swapping demos even more wink_o.gif.

dont let anyone put you off , remember arma will support everything from the stone age to worl war 3 within the coming years and it will need a model from every era.

one piece of advice cause to be honest alto it may not take 2 years it will realisticly take 6 - 8 months smile_o.gif.

get yourself a hex editor and start looking at some of the names of selections that bis use in there p3ds and start de pbo some configs in the air pbo and famiiarise yourelf ,that way you wont be stuck with a 1 big model with no or wrong selections.

keep it up looking forward to the helo smile_o.gif.

It's a good looking start, mate smile_o.gif See, not as hard as you thought...though I know you've had some headaches along the way.

Don't even think about texturing yet. That's a long way away (besides, you've got to learn UV mapping first, in order to get the texture on there). Just try to get the model right first! thumbs-up.gif

Keep up the good work.

Abs

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Feb. 17 2007,14:30)]Yeah it indeed looks nice ... but still .. the UH-1 was replaced by the UH-60 and I think that the Blackhawk did its job very well to this very day .... so I do not really see the necessarity for the Huey in the game.

I mean is: why have a T-72B in the game when we have a T-72M1 ?

The UH-1Y is still used by the USMC today, why have the cobra when there should be an apache? Well the AH-1Z is a newer and upgraded version and so is the UH-1Y.

... i just like its design ... after this one im going to make the osprey although the program is dead (i think )

there are just so much nice things that didnt get reality for some odd reasons like : too expensive , too unneccessary (spelling ?) and so on biggrin_o.gif

anybody knows the TBCH mounted on a 22mm rail system ??

mayba ill do one when im bored ...

Hmm yeah you are right, the UH-1Y looks indeed nice. I especially like the nose region which has obviously been re-designed.

If I am to share a nice picture ...

UH-1Y%20firing%20rockets-1.jpg

Hi, i wish you luck with that USMC UH1-Y Venom; you may find some informative/usefull photos of those in: www.airliners.net

i only found two, but there're many big interesting photos. Luck with those birds. Let's C ya

hey thx , yet another site for references ... i'm getting most infomration from bell's ppcket-guide-pdf for the venom , but pictures are very appreciated since there not so many arround in the net ...

zee-ub00r-assi - Images to large (maximum size 100KB) - read the forum rules.

Thanks

zee-ub00r-assi - How did you get the frames per second in max viewport? (i have 3ds max 8)

Thanks

Didnt even know such a project was in the begginings.

Wish you the best of luck on this (could pics be updated to be less than 100 kb maybe, love to see them smile_o.gif )

Personally been hoping for a huey to come around for my particular mission project, defenitely will keep an eye on this one.

left click on the viewport-name in the upper left corner and check "show statistics"

if tehy dont appear , then go to : customize/viewport configuration/ statistics / check "frames per second"

maybe this feature isnt available in 3dsmax 8 ... they were shown since the the very first start on my pc

ehh and for the pics ... : i knew i forgot something ... whistle.gif

edit : i updated the images ...

I think you could also press the '7' key and it'll show the stats. smile_o.gif

That's some good improvement on there! Just out of curiousity (this is one of my favourite questions just so I can have a reference on what other people are doing) how many polys is it?

Keep it up!

Abs

[Edit: typo.]

Pics look good, last one looks nicely refined in comparison to the first - hmm, can almost hear that o-so familiar 'thud - thud - thud' getting louder and louder from the distance smile_o.gif

Good stuff m8 thumbs-up.gif

... i just like its design ... after this one im going to make the osprey although the program is dead (i think )

The Osprey program is not dead. There is already an entire squadron of Ospreys based out of MCAS New River.

Thats the CV version isn't it? i've got a few pictures of them if you need I canscan em.

Thats the CV version isn't it? i've got a few pictures of them if you need I canscan em.

No, it isn't.

CV = Air Force

MV = Marine Corps