Sign in to follow this  
CsonkaPityu

Cannot set texture detail higher then 'normal'

My problem is that arma won't allow me to set the texture detail higher then "normal".

I just upgraded my video card so i should be able to handle higher texture detail just fine i have a strong enough computer so why won't it allow me to set the detail any higher?

Is there anyway i can set it higher?

I had the same problem, go to the CFG and change the number value of textures higher, as per what you want, one up for high, two up for very high...etc

there are 2 possible situations i remember when you can't go beyond normal

1. Low video memory (128MB VRAM only)

2. You erased default profile and made new one (in this case i think only way how get default profile back is reinstall)

2. You erased default profile and made new one (in this case i think only way how get default profile back is reinstall)

What?

Why in the world would this affect texture settings?

What?

Why in the world would this affect texture settings?

ad 1)

u can test it yourself , put into system videocard with 128MB ...

game allows You select only "normal" quality as max

now add 256MB card ... more dropdown options

now add 512MB card ... all dropdown options

ad 2) it's bug, causes more problems than just texture settings

sorry Dwarden, that is not true. For me at least

I have a Asus GF 5900 128 mb card, and I can select any video options, and I am only limited to certain resolutions that my gfx card and monitor can support. Of course, I would never select these higher settings because my computer would go into a coma.

2ghz Pentium 4

768 RDram

128mb gfx (@4x agp confused_o.gif )

dwarden.jpg

note: Quality Preference - Very High ; that is a bug that happens when you adjust your ArmAProfile file and change the 'sceneComplexity' value to lower than default.

I gots to do what I gots to do to make the game run on my five year old machine, at least for another two months until I update it.

I had the same problem, go to the CFG and change the number value of textures higher, as per what you want, one up for high, two up for very high...etc

I feel stupid now but... I can't find which file to edit. Could you further specify?

Quote[/b] ]1. Low video memory (128MB VRAM only)

Yes i just upgraded my videocard from a GF6600 128Mb to a GF7600 256MB, but ArmA doesn't recognize my new videocard or something because the settings stay low. sad_o.gif

-Ziggy- @ Jan. 19 2007,05:41)]sorry Dwarden, that is not true. For me at least

I have a Asus GF 5900 128 mb card, and I can select any video options, and I am only limited to certain resolutions that my gfx card and monitor can support. Of course, I would never select these higher settings because my computer would go into a coma.

2ghz Pentium 4

768 RDram

128mb gfx (@4x agp confused_o.gif )

[/img]

note: Quality Preference - Very High ; that is a bug that happens when you adjust your ArmAProfile file and change the 'sceneComplexity' value to lower than default.

I gots to do what I gots to do to make the game run on my five year old machine, at least for another two months until I update it.

well Your screenshot shows i'm partly right  (maybe not exactly as engine uses more complex logic (local VRAM + non local RAM = D3D can use or similar))

in 1.02 with 512MB card you can choose also Very High for texture quality ...

and that testing about 128/256/512MB VRAM vs texture setting i done with 1.00 so maybe BIS changed something in last builds

p.s. Csonka posts may indicate problem number 3 - Game settings are unchanged after new card installed (game fails to detect)

you can edit tex quality in your arma profile. eg My Documents\ArmA\yourname.armaprofile. Open it with notepad and edit the value TexQuality=x; 2 is for high and 3 is very high. So i can set very high on a 256 6800gt. save the file then under a new name and backup the original(notepad cant save .armaprofile). Then edit the new files name to yourname.armaprofile.

hope i could help and you understand that s***

well Your screenshot shows i'm partly right  (maybe not exactly as engine uses more complex logic (local VRAM + non local RAM = D3D can use or similar))

in 1.02 with 512MB card you can choose also Very High for texture quality ...

and that testing about 128/256/512MB VRAM vs texture setting i done with 1.00 so maybe BIS changed something in last builds

p.s. Csonka posts may indicate problem number 3 - Game settings are unchanged after new card installed (game fails to detect)

ahhh...well all righty then.  biggrin_o.gif

hmm, I have some options for very high, but no, not textures.

thanks

@Csonka, Will selecting 'Default' in the vid settings to discover your new gfx cards capabilities?

If you increase View Distance you lose High/Very High settings for texture.

Try decreasing View Distance then.