Sign in to follow this  
black150

Something Scifi

Well, out of the blue i'd say there are

a.) mindless beasts lurking in the shadows and spreading like a disease (ALIEN, ALIENS etc)

b.) biped Aliens acting like humans (Stargate, Signs, etc...)

c.) Aliens that you can't see because they're using machines/robots (War of the worlds, IndependenceDay, etc)

Imo all 3 kinds could be of use for a ArmA campaign, maybe starting b. or c. for the beginning battles and then they come up with something like a. as some kind of biological weapon. smile_o.gif

I'm back, I plan to use a bit of b and c there, but as for the a option, I've never been a big fan of the whole mindless beasts, although I like the alien series, I haven't been a fan since HALO the flood on the libary level... *shudder*

While I was off for a bit, I was confined to playing an xbox, and ended up playing rainbow six vegas, and got the idea of fast ropeing/ rapelling down mountain slopes... dunno if it could be done (though I suspect could just make a seperate object that cliff shapped with an option) but be cool for an alternate way into bases and such

You would need a custom animator to do anything interesting.

There is one possibility though: You could model different branches of humanity returning after having spread out into space for maybe 25-60,000 years. Different trends in genetic drift...

I like the idea of intelligent alien soldiers making high speed HALO jumps, maybe in special life support cases (remember the beginning movie of Quake2 ??) falling down to the surface.

It would add tension to any mission because you'd have to watch the sky constantly for incoming alien soldiers. smile_o.gif

Well I managed to find ArmA where I live (at last) and declare to myself it is awesome. Anyways I'm now also thinking on planets different from earth, as I don't intend the campaigns to stay on Earth, with custom plants, foliage etc (mabye) Does anyone have any idea when the official mod tools come out?

Just kinda read first post and kinda skipped right to this so tell me if i missed anything. But Human Forces should clearly Have some hardcore pure brutal metal gorgoroth Gunship. A nice solid no shit design kinda like an a-10 crossed with a hind and a ud-4 "Cheyenne" (The dropship from aliens) With some nice broad thick wings with loadsa racks for rockets and guns.... Id love to have a got at making it too.. if ya need a team im game.... But bear in mind i still got loads to learn.. as i havent even finished my first project yet

thats a good idea for after the humans have been invaded, say when they take the fight back to the enemy, have them design something big and bad, but it wouldn't be unstoppable

thats one cliche after another :P

why must mankind always be invaded...

cant we be the invaders just for once....

huh.gif lol

could be a bit more intresting

HAR HAR DIE HARR HARR!! BOOM! HARR!! MUAHHAHA!!

sorry my fantasy´s going thru with me...

*giggle*

thats one cliche after another :P

why must mankind always be invaded...

cant we be the invaders just for once....

Just like in Starship Troopers? Sounds interesting smile_o.gif

havent they been invaded actually?

at first, before they went to that orang-utan planet (or what was it called again??)

The plan is that the human are at first invaded, but thats just to get them into space exploration through military advancemnet, once they're out there, they turn from invaded to invaders... and i don't use the term lightly

EDIT - Oh and in starship trooper the aliens fired one meteorite at earth so the humans overreacted and sent a jack ass sized invasion army that got the shit kicked out of them smile_o.gif

I decided to do the drawings in O2 to see what they will look like

So here are the rifle varients (not the sniper) and an idea for an alien rifle, no textures included

SG-83

buldozer200702241352064rn1.jpg

SG-84MGV

buldozer200702241352344kn6.jpg

SG-83GL

buldozer200702241352462cz9.jpg

Alien Laser Rifle

buldozer200702241353217sb8.jpg

The alien laser rifle isn't too clear i know

EDIT: I leave these objects on so that people don't get lost

So you're going to the 'close' futuristic look ? Looks like a future G36, but imo there's nothing really special about your design (a bit boring).

My advise to you is to see if you can find some Shadowrun weapons with Google. I remember they had some pretty neat designs of futuristic Steyrs, M16s, etc. I'd use these to get some fresh ideas.

Also, the alien weapon looks totally off balance - you'd fall over holding that thing in front of ya biggrin_o.gif

Not a lot of vision in evidence with those. They look like just

bullpup versions of the G36 with a cheapo hunting 'scope

stuck on! You really think that no more progress will be made

in a hundred years? Instead of just pulling random ideas out

of the air, why not research a bit and study what state-of-

the-art modern (and currently projected) weapon systems

are actually like? Extrapolate from things like the FIST project

(and whatever the American and French equivalents are) and

the FN2000 and the OICW - with all their "battlefield

electronics".

Yeah, it wasn't meant to be much.

The main reason I went for the G36 look... well i'll admit is because I like that weapon, it has clouded my imagination, allow me the time to get the idea out of my head

As for the alien weapon, that came out of nowhere

I promise next time I post I will have the G36 look out of my head

That FIST thing has more to do with what the person has on them, the things to do with weapons such as the helmet mounted sight being connected to the gun, were ideas I already had in mind, I do realise that weapons will advance as electronics does, I'm looking more for weapon look

... oh huh.gif

Yes I know that was the worst shot I ever did but I say again the G36 idea was stuck in my head at the time and I wasn't thinking properly banghead.gif <--- me

EDIT: My imagination is suffering intently at the moment, mental blocks of a sort, I got the ideas in my head and just can't get them on paper or computer. This is the problem with close future settings, they can't be so differnet you can't regonise them, but they can't be so similar that it just looks the same

BTW, would it be possible or a good idea to have automatically ejecting clips, when they run out of ammo the gun gets rid of them, or have some holder on the weapon that keeps a spare clip attached, so one clip runs out it just uses the backup?

Right ImageShack ain't working for me at the mo, but when it does I'm uploading a new Idea which does not look like my old one, just on paint, and has new ideas better ideas

EDIT: Right here it is, my newer rifle. It's basically taken from the FN2000 and added and taken parts away. If you look I kept a small part of the G36 shape (barrel area)

untitled1ov3.jpg

for the part above the barrel, the rectangular dip with a smaller rectangle in it, I have no idea why I put that in or what it could be, any ideas? things that could or should be changed?

While I'm redesigning tanks, weapons etc I came up with a timeline, and advantages and disadvantages of humans and aliens, mostly based around humans at the moment

Aliens are mostly set firmly in the plasma/laser technology, and as such they haven't really encountered bullets and missiles, and this becomes a problem for them when human missiles shoot stright through their energy shields (designed to stop lasers and plasma not solid objects) and destoy what their protecting. Also, human helicopters will give humans the edge with insertion and extractions, along with strafing runs especially in URBAN zones. While humans have these small advantages, humans will lack when it comes to tanks, although their treads will make them a damn sight easier to repair then a completely fried hover system, their armour lacks shielding to protect from high frequency lasers, able to cut through the armour. For once, it is safer for humans to be in the infantry. Also, alien air forces will dominate, but they will lack sufficient VTOL systems to match the insertion/extraction capability of the human helicopters of the time.

Another thing on the humans side is radiation control. The Aliens never develop into nuclear technology and as such although they have control over basic types of radiation, do not have the items to control and utalise Alpha Gamma and Beta types, although humans will not use A-bombs (mostly due to the state of the earth already) they will try to find ways of using these against the foe in many ways as time progresses.

The humans are still, however, outnumbered, outflanked, and constantly ducking for cover as alien air forces soar overhead dropping plasma on their heads and scorching the landscape, and especially so when alien capital ships fly over with the intention of turning the battlefield into a giant crateor (spelling....)

The alien attackers common tactic will be bomb the place to hell then send in a few squads to flush out survivors

Well you know what they say, air superiocity wins

This will also cause alot of cursing from characters in planned campaign as their only armoured support is effortlessly taken down by a passing space fighter, leaving the infantry on their own against a giant force

Although the humans are allied with one alien race, their technologies don't seem to be compatable (e.g Aliens can't put their energy shields on human tanks, the two systems use completly differnet codes, languages and layouts, too different to merge until they have the time to sit down and tinker... which they don't have)

Basically, humans will have power on the ground, but their lack of air support will deliver the painful blows (if humans had the right air support the aliens wouldn't stand a chance)

This is only the idea for the first part, once humanity gets to space, the aliens will know what their up against and ajust accordingly

Now that is a rediculours ammount of writing but I had to put it down while it was fresh on my memory

A lot of stuff tbh. How would you combine this with the story?

A great thing would be to have a technology race head to head. Like- the aliens bring their preexistent weapons with them - humans find a way to counter them. Human collect alien weapons from the battlefields and change them. Aliens find a way to counter human customized tech, etc etc. Could create tension when used in a developing story.

Reminds me of one of the earliest PC Terminator titles where you had a customized battlesuit of some kind. You had to review your next mission and equip it with the weapons/systems you 'borrowed' from Skynet in prior missions. smile_o.gif

Like all great wars, thats pretty much what happens in regards to technology, but because these types are too far appart, it will take longer for them to figure out counter measures and counters to the counter measure. In case you're wondering, the fight on Earth doesn't last very long at all, in fact it's only about 2 years, the conflict however is costly to all sides, and still not over, as the conflict in space takes another 20 years to end