Sign in to follow this  
KAOSInc

I'm sick of listening to people

I'm on my knees and begging you to do something about being able to block certain peoples VOIP.

Case 1/ A guy walked away with the microphone left on and all I could hear was the TV playing and could not hear the vehicles or gunfire. He came back like 5 minutes later then turned it off.

Case 2/ An annoying novice would not shut up! I think he liked the sound of his own voice!

Case 3/ I sat there listening to a foreign conversation between 2 guys on the same microphone(most likely they were discussing the game) all the while I couldn't hear anything again. I wrote politely to him "could you please turn your microphone off". Nothing happened after 20 seconds! So I tried again 3 times and on the forth, I was writing in capital letters with frustration until I aborted the game! He/they could not read English I guess.

Please...I beg you...we need to be able to block certain people like this because it's destroying the atmosphere of the game!

find a public server, using TEAMSPEAK or ROGER WILCO.. you can do such things you are asking for there.

i know it doesnt help the "immediate" side of the game, and would be nice to have in, but most people prefer T.S./R.W. compared to in game voiP.

Thanks for that bit of information! notworthy.gif

I don't have the full Armed Assault game as yet as it is not in Australia until Feb. so honestly I'm only playing the Demo.

Maybe I should have shut up until I have the game. icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe I should have shut up until I have the game. icon_rolleyes.gif

Not really, if the in-game VOIP had a couple extra features then you wouldn't need an external program. You are not the first to suggest this either. It's easier to use the VOIP in the game than a program like TS.

It's easier to use the VOIP in the game than a program like TS.

Is it really? You can't use it to setup a game between friends before starting and you can't use it in case the game freezes on someone or they drop out. You also cannot choose which sound card you want to use.

Atleast with TS, I don't need a text-chat program nor do I need to worry if each game we play has in-game voice. It runs all the time... even if I am lagging in-game. It has certainly helped keep us informed when someone drops connection (game only) and they can tell us before we find out the hard way. Also, I use my on-board sound card strictly for Teamspeak and my 5.1 card for my 5.1 surround sound. I hear the game through surround sound but my friends through my headphones. I could not do that with in-game voice software unless I wanted to hear my friends bitchin' and complaining in full 5.1 glory biggrin_o.gif

I personally will turn off VOIP... people leave their mics on etc, low sound quality, stuff like that... i'll be using vent/ts with my clan... and sometimes i wont want to play and i can just hop on vent/ts and have a chat smile_o.gif

Maybe when i go public playing i'll turn it on and see if i can find a half decent server.. seems to lag the server loads tho...

Well if you don't like yay.gif it you don't have to listen like your players do.

find a public server, using TEAMSPEAK or ROGER WILCO.. you can do such things you are asking for there.

i know it doesnt help the "immediate" side of the game, and would be nice to have in, but most people prefer T.S./R.W. compared to in game voiP.

totaly unusefull post helping 0% to avoid the explained problem.

Quote[/b] ]totaly unusefull post helping 0% to avoid the explained problem.

Agreed. Here's my take on the original question.... How do I turn off the VOIP channel if I don't want to listen to _other_ people who have decided to use in-game VOIP rather than an TS/RW/etc ?

I had a look in the audio options and there doesn't seem to be any control over this. sad_o.gif

*Delurking*

Put the following in your arma shortcut target box after .exe

-disableVoN=1

You need a space after .exe

I read in another thread that this will work, i haven't heard anyone speak since i added it.

Edit: Doesnt seem to work after all sorry

Hi KAOSInc I agree the issue about VOIP is annoying. We have switched this facility OFF on our Australian OGN demo servers. IP for the servers 203.206.95.21

see you there smile_o.gif

yeah, the ability to block certain players's VOIP would be great. Up until this points I just give 3 warnings and then kick the dumb mf'er. I figure if he's not willing to either listen to the admin or be courteous, he's not worth my bandwidth.

yeah, the ability to block certain players's VOIP would be great. Up until this points I just give 3 warnings and then kick the dumb mf'er. I figure if he's not willing to either listen to the admin or be courteous, he's not worth my bandwidth.

That's a good enough solution. But what if you don't know who it is? There doesn't seem to be a way to tell who's talking.

That's a good enough solution. But what if you don't know who it is? There doesn't seem to be a way to tell who's talking.

This is true. I look back at who is just joining because VoIP seems to start first before connection to the server. If it just starts it's usually the person who is being announced as just connecting... so I look at the player list and keep that in mind. I ask whomever has their mic on to turn it off.. I then ask the person who just joined if he has his or her mic on... I then make another global announcement.. then I kick off the person I had in mind.

I dont run a big server so it's not a huge question. I can have man 7 people on at once so there's not a large number of players to choose from... AND I live on the west coast of Canada, so I get regulars in to my server and I have gotten to know who has VoIP, who likes to TK, and stuff like that.

@ SOS

"totaly unusefull post helping 0% to avoid the explained problem."

LOL.. at least i OFFERED SOME kind of help/ walk around.

what did you bring to the table, may i ask? other than some "WINE".

anyways, back on track,

in game voiP is easier to implement, but at the cost of many others just wanting to play around with it, or may not even realise thier mic is on. or just childish banter. "usually" an external "comms" program will aleviate that. this is mostly due to players WANTING to be on a comms channel, knowing that for the most part there is some known ettiqiutte (sp?)

but i speak mostly from combat flight sims w/comms experience, and previous OFP comms.

i dont know compatibility between the DEMO and full install, but if you REALLY want to get away from in game comms, try the external progs. if i remember correctly TEAMSPEAK is free.

hope it helps....and can find it "usefull"

nener.gif

-GAU

Skype anyone ?

Incredible sound + works well on anything + anyone knows how to use it + you can setup a private phone conference with your friends

Drawback : 4 people max in conferences in standard version but I usualy only play with 2-3 other friends at the same time.

Teamspeak and such do not count as a solution here when you are playing on public servers.

not trying to be argumentative.

but why not?

(im guessing here) is there NO "OFF" to voip on the client side...only SERVER side..?

then i could understand, because in a public server with voip "ON" whether using an exteral prog or not, you would still hear BIS in game voip anyways. is that what im looking at here?

if so, then i understand the situation. yay.gif

I turned off VOIP on our servers for that very reason. I honestly dont know why there sint a "push to talk" function on it. All of our members use TS and talking between channel commanders to get the communiction across.

As mentioned several times before, find a server with it disabled.

Quote[/b] ] because in a public server with voip "ON" whether using an exteral prog or not, you would still hear BIS in game voip anyways. is that what im looking at here?

Correct.

Quote[/b] ]As mentioned several times before, find a server with it disabled.

There are already few enough servers available without having to guess at which ones have VOIP disabled. The question remains, is there a _client_ side switch to disable playing of in-game VOIP ?

The funniest thing I heard was some guy's wife screaming in the background telling him to get the "f" off of the computer since he spends all day on it and him cussing back at her. Then the connection was lost.....

Now THAT is quality entertainment you don't get on TV smile_o.gif

Ingame VOIP is very essential for a game like ArmA because you have to talk to people to organize your play and you will never ever see enough (it should be >90% to be efficient) people join an external VOIP server like e.g. TS.

But also the ability to block single players and "push to talk only" is crucial.

All the clan players can join TS AND talk over ingame VOIP. I do this myself.

One thing that can be by BIS is to make it "push talk only". You can only talk when the caps lock key is press. Pressing it and leaving the channel open is very annoying.