Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios

Back on topic the main thing that I find odd is the actual loadouts for the ArmA Harrier (hence my original post). It would have been much more interesting had they been equipped with SNEB or CVR rockets. Is there any chance of this? Also I am assuming you have deleted the 25mm gunpacks on the Harriers as the Harrier Squadrons removed these way back in the early 90's and added lift strakes in place? Another lovely MOD cutback that resulted in a degraded CAS capability.

One last thing is there any way that the ARBS can be incorporated? The Angle Rate Bombing Set is as you probably know a small nose mounted camera that is used for Designation on the IP for a first pass bombing run. Maybe use the Cobras site picture to provide the pilot with target information?

Keep up the good work!

well aint this a bit too off topic for this topic?

I don't see why?

He is creating what are in real life very sophisticated aircraft that could be better represented in the game than the current stock AV8.

He may be able to implement some of their real-world features. If not then at least possibly simulate them?

ArmA is never going to be realistic but it's the modders / modelmakers who bring it closer to the sense of realism

Guest RKSL-Rock

Just as Hamish just said.  Anything that adds to the accuracy of the addon is fine with me.  The more accurate we can make the addon the better it will be as far as I’m concerned.

In a nutshell it's a stabilised gimbel mounted sight mounted on the nose of the Harrier. Based on the Hughes AN/ASB-19 sight ( Originally fitted on the 'Scooter' ) it employs a TV and Dual Mode Laser Spot Tracker / Rangefinder. The former is similar to the Pave Penny in that it allows the Harrier pilot to pick up a laser designation and calculate release. It however requires external terminal weapons guidance by an LTD.

For GP release in real life you cue the ARBS pre-aiming mark using your HUD to boresight the camera picture. Using your MFD's you can then using an increased sight picture (ARBS camera) lock the sight on your inital run in to provide a much more accurate weapons delivery. The ARBS calculates your release based on your speed, height etc. It pretty damn accurate and releases the pilot to keep an eye on the MAWI and RWR to see if there is any nasties on there way up.

Game mechanics may restrict this for ArmA however using the exisiting cobra sight you can use it to 'simulate' the ARBS and allow the pilot to at least use the increased magnification of the 'simulated' ARBS to provide a better IP run in?

Harrier pilots were often using the ARBS during Bosnia operations to ID T-54/55 tanks prior to making any attack. Although the OA-10 negated the need for this later in the Air War.

Just an idea?

Thanks, I’ll sit down and have a think about this.  There may be a way but it will have to be scripted.  I’d like to see an accurate bombing system but it will need to be scripted.  I think if I lay this on UNN right now he’ll have a nervous break down :P

Just as Hamish just said.  Anything that adds to the accuracy of the addon is fine with me.  The more accurate we can make the addon the better it will be as far as I’m concerned.

In a nutshell it's a stabilised gimbel mounted sight mounted on the nose of the Harrier. Based on the Hughes AN/ASB-19 sight ( Originally fitted on the 'Scooter' ) it employs a TV and Dual Mode Laser Spot Tracker / Rangefinder. The former is similar to the Pave Penny in that it allows the Harrier pilot to pick up a laser designation and calculate release. It however requires external terminal weapons guidance by an LTD.

For GP release in real life you cue the ARBS pre-aiming mark using your HUD to boresight the camera picture. Using your MFD's you can then using an increased sight picture (ARBS camera) lock the sight on your inital run in to provide a much more accurate weapons delivery. The ARBS calculates your release based on your speed, height etc. It pretty damn accurate and releases the pilot to keep an eye on the MAWI and RWR to see if there is any nasties on there way up.

Game mechanics may restrict this for ArmA however using the exisiting cobra sight you can use it to 'simulate' the ARBS and allow the pilot to at least use the increased magnification of the 'simulated' ARBS to provide a better IP run in?

Harrier pilots were often using the ARBS during Bosnia operations to ID T-54/55 tanks prior to making any attack. Although the OA-10 negated the need for this later in the Air War.

Just an idea?

Thanks, I’ll sit down and have a think about this.  There may be a way but it will have to be scripted.  I’d like to see an accurate bombing system but it will need to be scripted.  I think if I lay this on UNN right now he’ll have a nervous break down :P

Keep it as the Cobra sight then? At least that way two good things are possible:

1: Pilots can ID a target prior to run in. Very useful in large Coops and in difficulty levels with no tags.

2: Your mate doesn't need a ticket to the Priory.

Have a grand week and thanks for the discussion!

Just a side question from me.

isnt it possible to have a base harrier airframe and let the pilot choose the payload for his mission when arming, rather than having different variations of the aircraft that need to be placed on a map by a map maker ( its something thats bugged me from the flashpoint days - having to jump out of one aircraft into another of the same type for your next mission as you cant re arm it with what you need )

Guest RKSL-Rock

Keep it as the Cobra sight then? At least that way two good things are possible:

1: Pilots can ID a target prior to run in. Very useful in large Coops and in difficulty levels with no tags.

2: Your mate doesn't need a ticket to the Priory.

Have a grand week and thanks for the discussion!

It becomes an issue of control once you go into optics but I think we might be able to sort something but I think its likely to be an upgrade to the harrier rather than a feature at first release.

Just a side question from me.

isnt it possible to have a base harrier airframe and let the pilot choose the payload for his mission when arming, rather than having different variations of the aircraft that need to be placed on a map by a map maker ( its something thats bugged me from the flashpoint days - having to jump out of one aircraft into another of the same type for your next mission as you cant re arm it with what you need )

Dynamic loading is something we discussed a lot in OFP. Its possible within limits but it is something we want to see in game too! We'll see...

your work is incredible man inlove.gif i cant stop pressing the refreshbutton of my firefoxexplorer firefoxlover.gif to see if there is new news or even a release of one of those great addons biggrin_o.gif

Some questions about your projects:

1. Is the C-130 going to be released with some different versions? I would really really really look forward to see an AC-130 Gunship. They would be a great addition to the game (especially with the fixed viewdistance bug in 1.07+)

2. Can u give us some very rough release date for the C-130 or the automatic SAM turrets (shown in one of the videos from ur page but cant remember the name)? I wouldn´t even mind if u would say "not before end of the year" but just to know whistle.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Some questions about your projects:

1. Is the C-130 going to be released with some different versions? I would really really really look forward to see an AC-130 Gunship. They would be a great addition to the game (especially with the fixed viewdistance bug in 1.07+)

Like I said a few times previously re the AC130 its not in the plan but it may happen.

2. Can u give us some very rough release date for the C-130 or the automatic SAM turrets (shown in one of the videos from ur page but cant remember the name)? I wouldn´t even mind if u would say "not before end of the year" but just to know  whistle.gif
Not at all.  We just don’t give out estimated release dates.  Too many people have applied unrealistic pressure or flamed in the past.  Right now we’re just learning the engine and doing the easy stuff.  More complex stuff like the FCSS and VTOL v3 will follow when we understand the limits and possibilities better.

Hey Farles, how's the Cessna going? Sure hope it's about done... I just recently got my ArmA copy and I guess I wouldn't be able to help it if I'd try to re-enact OFP's "Status Quo" mission, since there already is an Everon island around... biggrin_o.gif

BUZZARD @ June 04 2007,13:06)]Hey Farles, how's the Cessna going? Sure hope it's about done... I just recently got my ArmA copy and I guess I wouldn't be able to help it if I'd try to re-enact OFP's "Status Quo" mission, since there already is an Everon island around...  biggrin_o.gif

I can answer that one wink_o.gif

The Cessna is going very well! Most of the work is behind us.

If youre lucky a little show can be seen in my signature wink_o.gif

Making the textures look perfect and the scripts take a little time, but it wont be months from now untill release.

Thank you for your interest!

Looks very good VXR and Farles smile_o.gif

Looking forward to fly with it over the beaches from Sahrani.

Looking at the pic: SI-VXR is your own machine then tounge2.gif

Looks very good VXR and Farles smile_o.gif

Looking at the pic: SI-VXR is your own machine then tounge2.gif

huh.gif What pic? Where? huh.gif

Edit: Will we be able to post custom serial nrs like Footmunch's roundel system?

rksl sigs are dynamic - keep pressing F5 and it'll change untill you see the cesna

Looks very good VXR and Farles  smile_o.gif

Looking at the pic: SI-VXR is your own machine then  tounge2.gif

Thank you!

I had the idea to put a serial on every different colorscheme Cessna matching the member nicknames wink_o.gif

I have chosen SI to be the serial for Sahrani.

BUZZARD @ June 04 2007,13:52)]What pic? Where?

Edit: Will we be able to post custom serial nrs like Footmunch's roundel system?

Not sure at the moment, will have to talk about that with Farles. Can't make a promise about that.

I think the Cessna will have many other nice features that will make you forget to change the serial nrs anyway... tounge2.gif

Now VXR stop posting in the forums and go finish the texture! biggrin_o.gif

Hey Farles where´s your sig mate wink_o.gif

Could you make a small statement of what features you wrote or is it a surprise? biggrin_o.gif

Also, would be nice, if it's not too much to ask for, to include one version with the textures separate, like with this Re-textured Cessna by Silesian and with exact, step-by-step instructions, on how to modify them since I know it should work somehow, I guess...

BUZZARD @ June 05 2007,17:33)]Also, would be nice, if it's not too much to ask for, to include one version with the textures separate, like with this Re-textured Cessna by Silesian and with exact, step-by-step instructions, on how to modify them since I know it should work somehow, I guess...

You mean that people can create their own colorscheme?

Hey Farles where´s your sig mate wink_o.gif

Could you make a small statement of what features you wrote or is it a surprise? biggrin_o.gif

No time for a sig! I work too much in GateBuilder!

For the features, you'll have to wait until release, which shouldn't be far from now trust me...

BUZZARD @ June 05 2007,17:33)]Also, would be nice, if it's not too much to ask for, to include one version with the textures separate, like with this Re-textured Cessna by Silesian and with exact, step-by-step instructions, on how to modify them since I know it should work somehow, I guess...

You mean that people can create their own colorscheme?

Yeah, that would be awesome! thumbs-up.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Any updates on the various projects?  smile_o.gif

General Stuff

No pictures right now Im afraid. Just some very quick updates.

- All Helicopters now have pitching blades that also flex and bow depending on loading.

- We're experimenting with a cargo system that will allow the transport of Fuel, Repair and Ammo packs in multiplayer.

Cessna 182 Is currently in the paint shop.  After that we just need to look at adding some of the features to it.

Lynx AH7 model is now 95% and is due to be passed to Farles and VXR for mapping and textures.

Merlin HC3 model is being reworked.  Ive been given some very detailed internal photos that showed up some flaws in the nose and internal models.

C-130 (UK)  Again some small model reworks due to new info but until we get the cargo system up and running we're its not a huge priority for us.

And discussions with Farles and after much whining and emphatic suggestions (please stop emailing me now {USMC}Sniper) from people in the community we've added an AC-130 to the list of planned projects.

(Lots of information)

That's sounding really fantastic. I can't wait to get my hands on some really new, high quality addOns. Looking forward to that C-130 - the cargo system sounds like a lot of fun! =D

Any updates on the various projects? smile_o.gif

General Stuff

No pictures right now Im afraid. Just some very quick updates.

- All Helicopters now have pitching blades that also flex and bow depending on loading.

- We're experimenting with a cargo system that will allow the transport of Fuel, Repair and Ammo packs in multiplayer.

Cessna 182 Is currently in the paint shop. After that we just need to look at adding some of the features to it.

Lynx AH7 model is now 95% and is due to be passed to Farles and VXR for mapping and textures.

Merlin HC3 model is being reworked. Ive been given some very detailed internal photos that showed up some flaws in the nose and internal models.

C-130 (UK) Again some small model reworks due to new info but until we get the cargo system up and running we're its not a huge priority for us.

And discussions with Farles and after much whining and emphatic suggestions (please stop emailing me now {USMC}Sniper) from people in the community we've added an AC-130 to the list of planned projects.

AC-130 sounds nice; are proper turrets possible on fixed-wing aircraft now that ArmA has improved upon the way turrets are done, or are you planning on it being scripted similarly to how other did for OFP.

Also, which AC-130 version (H or U), and armament (AFAIK AC-130U comes in 2 flavours) is it that's planned?

Obviously I know it's early days on that one, but knowing you, you have at least some idea.

Nice to hear that the Lynxes are going well, can't wait to seen them with a lick of paint.

Also, which AC-130 version (H or U), and armament (AFAIK AC-130U comes in 2 flavours) is it that's planned?

I was mainly thinking on making the AC-130 Spectre, but if you guys prefer just tell me why Spooky should be better...