Sign in to follow this  
Dynamax

a better weapon system

i was wondering if it would be possible to impliment a better system for weapons.

i was thinking along the lines of having a base weapon like (example) an M4A1 with nothing on it, just the reciver, barrel, and stock. have some attachment points (proxies) on the areas of the M4 where you would put stuff, like have a proxy on the top rail on the reciver set as an "Optics proxy". one or more "General attachments" proxies on the handgaurd or RIS for things like a laser unit, Tac-light, or something like a tactical grip. also a "GL Proxy" for a GL attachment.

i dont see why BIS have stayed with their system of weapons where you need to have a compleat and seperate PBO of the same weapons if they only have different parts on them. makes the addons folder alot larger than it needs to be.

i would have made it differently, like have a folder or a PBO in the addons folder called "weapons.pbo" with all the basic wepaons, and then have a seperate folder or PBO called "attachments.pbo" with all the parts that can be put on the different weapons. not only would that reduce the size of the addons folder it would also allow players to custumize their weapons and make the game more enjoyable.

once the mod tools are released im going to look into making such a system as a stand alone mod. i dont want to end up the same as i was with OFP where i had over 2gigs of just different set-ups for the same gun.

at least then we could have a really well done base model and have people make just the attachments for them.

That sounds like a pretty good idea, what all would you need to do this? Can it be done with just scripting or would you have to place points on the model itself and then reference those points with a config or something?

I really don't know anything about modelling (yet) so sorry if that seems like a really basic question or something.

It depends on the game engine itself. The harrier seems to be able to have proxies for weapons load outs, but no concession for more than one kinds of air to air missile, according to one of the BIS team. So, it sounds logical that you might be able to do this but there also may be some kind of engine limitation.

<s>Dont think that weapons can have proxies.</s>

lets have a closer look at this when the tools available.

Proxy now can have proxy (as hierarchical structure), so also weapons.

So if i understand correctly, proxies will be able to be changed in the cfg (by keeping a basemodel with all its proxies). If so notworthy.gif ...big time saver and data saver.

Still noob when it comes to cfg and scripts (and by the looks of it, with ArmAs newer code system help.gif ), but would ingame proxy changes be possible?

Anyway, looking forward to the Biki info.

thats great, i cant wait to get the tools needed to get something going.

But how can we control them, if at all? Like DaSquade said, to what extent can they be changed?

Problem is theres still no extended inventory system for assigning them so you still get a massive list of m4 combination 1 through 10,000. I'm hoping in the future BIS will update the gear menu so you simply chose your weapon such as an M4. Then theres a button underneath or next to it you click and it shows a picture of the weapon with areas for different attachments. That way we only need 1 weapon entry and 6 attachments instead of 18 entries of the M4. And when you are dealing with many different weapons some that use the same attachments you might only need about 10 weapons and 10 attachments instead of over 100 combinations of weapons in the list

Heres hoping we also get a laser, shotgun (that actually works like a shotgun not the dodgy OFP ones), working bipod and nightvision/IR sights

Problem is theres still no extended inventory system for assigning them so you still get a massive list of m4 combination 1 through 10,000. I'm hoping in the future BIS will update the gear menu so you simply chose your weapon such as an M4. Then theres a button underneath or next to it you click and it shows a picture of the weapon with areas for different attachments. That way we only need 1 weapon entry and 6 attachments instead of 18 entries of the M4. And when you are dealing with many different weapons some that use the same attachments you might only need about 10 weapons and 10 attachments instead of over 100 combinations of weapons in the list

Heres hoping we also get a laser, shotgun (that actually works like a shotgun not the dodgy OFP ones), working bipod and nightvision/IR sights

Well, skimming through the ArmA config.bin, I noticed the new class CfgInventory. It looks like BIS might have been working on a new inventory system (and it looked rather complex). Who knows but maybe some of it is functional, and just having the new class CfgInventory may allow us to modify the inventory a bit. I'm telling you, a lot of the improvements in ArmA go unseen until the mods/addon makers take an in-depth look.

Quote[/b] ]didnt the ffur project look into this concept

No, that was merely swapping weapons.

Well, i still wonder what the 'suprise' was/is that BI didn't wanted to mention during the Mapfact workshop. In case anybody forgot, Mapfact (and forgot other modgroup) had a workshop where one of the BI devs (forgot name confused_o.gif ) mentioned there was still a suprise regarding the inventory, but at that time they didn't want to go into it...Maybe it was (just) the new style of inventory list style. Maybe someone (BI?) could enlighting us?