Sign in to follow this  
Captain Data

Too difficult even on Easy Setting ?

Sure you guys who have the super accurate AI killing you instantly don't have Super AI on? Super AI makes the AI really hard. I've only played the demo but the AI in the coop mission don't seem to shoot that accurately.

Turn the enemy skill down in the difficulty options and turn super AI off if they shoot too accurately.

This is an interesting thread with some suggestions I didn't know about. Thanks guys!

I have to say I agree with the Captain about some of the super ai abilities. It makes no sense to me how you can shoot a tank with an AT weapon from an obscured position and the crew can bounce out and bring weapons to bear on you before you can switch to your M4. Or approaching a target with bushes hiding your approach and they still know you're there and kill you in nano seconds. Or detonating a satchel charge gives away your position or, on a lessor scale, one shot. It would make far more sense for an enemy patrol to lay down area fire than instantly know exactly where you are in those weeds. I guess after the long wait I was hoping for something a little better.

Hopefully the upcoming patch will fix some of these issues.  The biggest one I would say is the detection when the AI hits a mine or you detonate a charge.  Might as well just use an AT4.

I'm not really bothered by the superhuman AI- I can't say for sure that they couldn't have sniped me with an AK from behind 4 trees at 150 meters- but if that's how they're gonna play, the missions need to be changed. There's too many missions where you're either flying solo or leading a squad of "special" soldiers.  The solo missions just aren't very authentic and the command interface in ArmA isn't streamlined enough to justify so many "squad leader" missions (Give me a setup like Brothers in Arms where I can order my guys to move with one button).

I've only got the demo and right off the bat I noticed the'aimbot' problem. I'm no firearms expert, although I'm am certified for federal security, but these instant long-range 1 kill shots are completely unrealistic. Most bullets fired in combat situations do NOT hit their intended target.If they did, you would only need to go to war with about 50 bullets in your pocket.

I have no problem with the AI all being good shots, the problem for me is that this is one of the critical aspects that breaks immersion.Like the above mine example, part of the fun of these games is the subterfuge, but thats only possible if the AI reacts similar to humans. They should jump out panicked, maybe shooting wildly, scrambling for cover, screaming etc... They should value there life and you should 'feel' it. I believe part of this can be solved by a mod such as SLX, which does a pretty good job of forcing suppression which effects the AI's aim and endurance.

Lowering the enemy precision (.45) has definitely improved the prolonged firefight IMO, giving the AI that human sense should be next on the list.

Just thought I'd throw my tuppence in...

I don't think the AI is uber good at shooting

I do agree that hiding in the grass and having to go kneel in order to shoot and enemy soldier who is shooting me is not good...hope that gets fixed soon.

I don't see many "one shot one kill" situations...they happen, but more often than not it's 2-3 shots before I'm dead.

Running straight at the enemy or standing still IS dangerous...there's very little computing needing to be done to shoot someone standing still or moving straight towards you. Jinking from side to side, I think you will notice the AI becomes pretty innacurate. Remember...running straight towards the enemy is often what we are doing....jinking is the answer. Run towards them but moving side to side.

Just played no 2 mission in campaign and I really got frustrated with AI. Guys sittin around fire, I shoot one with Dragunov from over 300 meters, another guy shoots me straight between eyes right away. I am laying in the grass in total DARKNESS and this guy do not even have night goggles... Immersion flew out of the window and I was so pissed off, had to go to local bar to grab a beer smile_o.gif

I'll wait for the patch before continuing.

I have to admit, I have seen AI soldiers follow me through walls and buildings with their rifles when playing Coops in multiplayer, but then again it must be incredibly hard to accurately recreate what a human would do in each situation in ArmA. Sure it's not perfect, but its bloody closer than any other game is.

I share your woes about the grass aswell, the AI does seem to have an advantage, but the latest 1.5 Patch promises to fix that by including as the 505 version does grass that folds over. Just give it time with patches and playtime and you too can be like the AI and follow soldiers through walls tounge2.gif

Honestly, I believe the AI is dump as it awalys was in OFP! So far, if a bullet hit me, I goddamn deserved it! tounge2.gif What I still realy dont like, and that is one of the most important athmospheric factors, is the interaction of soldiers and troops. I sometimes feel like playing the Zombie Mod. I take a jeep, mount as gunner, shoot at a group, kill 2, wait till the rise again, kill another 2, and their learning curve is basically zero. But nevertheless, me like ArmA smile_o.gif

I was having the same problem with the "super shot" AI and was about to give this game up, until I figured out the solution. I went to options menu and changed the AI setting. Enemy AI was factory set on Normal skill at .60 out off 1.00. I cut this down to .30 and the game has become much more playable to me. They still are good shots, but it now allows for more realistic reaction time. You can change this setting to wherever you feel most comfortable. You can also change the friendly skill as well. I upped mine to .90 for a while, until I got tired of my friendlys getting all the kills and lowered it again to around .60

Captain Data makes a valid point, particularly the references to 'aimbot' and 'wallhack' in the title. Problem is, once the AI are aware of you, all the AI become aware of you, plus they then continue to track your location to the mm, no matter how stealthily you move about and how much cover you use. I'm experiencing this all the time, and it makes the missions feel very biased against the player and stupidly difficult.

Looking at a bug on the AA Community Bugtracker, this problem has been acknowledged by BIS. The bug is 0001614: AI automatically knows where you are... It uses the example that when a BMP drives over a satchel charge you laid, the next BMP automatically targets you immediately, no matter where you're hiding.

As far as I can tell this issue has now been resolved. Suma has responded "The handling of uncertainly known targets was significantly reworked to fix this". I hope that means it'll be fixed in the next patch!

Again I tried to start to play the campaign (1.04 was far too buggy). In the very first campaign mission when the team go to Corazol to investigate gun shooting, the enemy special forces man (the one who is hiding on the roof) shoots me every time - through the roof when I go to kill him. That was it. No campaign for me. Playing the campaign in 1.04 was a real chore since you did not know when the AI or bugs let you down. The main thing to fear was not the enemy, it were the bugs which will ruin the mission.

yes , the Ai seem to know where you are always , and expecting that you show your face to kill you , no matter how well you hide , it's quite frustrating , they have X ray vision mad_o.gif