Sign in to follow this  
ODDDNAME

Performance Issue

Just got my copy of the czech version of this game and i noticed it looks absolutely stunning.

But when foilage comes into the view it has a tendency to decrease fps, then suddenly increase after some time, and this repeats all the time, even if running arund with the same foilage in view.

The game is Armed Assault =)

Try to set 640x480 with no anti-aliasing and low details. You'll be then able to even move in the woods...

Sad to say that we all are experiencing the same problem. Maybe the game was intended to be published first in 2009?

crazy_o.gif

Try to set 640x480 with no anti-aliasing and low details. You'll be then able to even move in the woods...

Sad to say that we all are experiencing the same problem. Maybe the game was intended to be published first in 2009?

crazy_o.gif

Oddly enough it isnt constant =)

So it seems like the foilage might need some tweaking? =)

ODDNAME, please stick to the proper part of the forums. These parts are Czech-speaking, you'd have better chance to get a reply in English section.

Moving topic.

I guess i'm gonna make a standard post of this one:

[*] Did you upgrade all drivers in your system of the vital components? (CPU, Chipset, VGA, Sound)

[*] Did you do a check on virusses and spyware and are sure that you are 100% clean?

[*] Did you try changing the Quality Preference Slider in all different modes??? AFAIK this setting is the same as ofp's: Quality & FPS Slider... Sertting this to high/very high will decrease fps while giving a better image quality (higher lod), while medium and lower will increase fps but costs image quality (lower lod).

[*] Do you have too many background programs running that use cpu and or memory? (Don't mind those 0,0001% usage programs... but programs like norton antivirus are cpu and memory hog!!wink_o.gif

[*] Did you try fiddling with all settings, different resolutions, different quality settings? Try 1024x768

[*] Did you defragment your harddrive(s) yet?

[*] Does your system have the minimum requirements?

[*] Do you have enough available Memory and Virtual Memory (It's not increasing the size while ur playing I hope?? Try to set it high, like 2048mb)

I'm sorry, but I dont have this problem. My pc is even 2 years old, but it runs like a charm... Why? Because I carefully decide which hardware I put in and take proper hardware instead of the cheapest of the cheapest and expect that I can run everything super detail high high high.

Besides, most ppl that are having trouble, don't have their drivers up2date, should go to a PC docter and clean their pc, remove the 6000 tools they have installed to 'optimize' their pc and use some common sence smile_o.gif

Besides, this is Armed Assault, 1200meters of pretty nice countryside, towns, tanks, units, and so on and so on, just don't expect it to run on medium-high on a system that was already budget 2 years ago.. Ppl expect way too much, have no clue how such game can ask for much power etc. etc. But this is their wake up call; You can't drive 300 km/h with a standard lada, but you can with a proper BMW sports car...

Anyway...they gonna optimize the game along the way im sure of it, but don't expect to run it on your P133, 64mb ram, 8mb videocard smile_o.gif

ps; forget about anti-aliasing above 1024x768 with cards under Geforce 6800/Radeon X800  with at least 256mb smile_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

I have this problem too. ArmA runs great in 640x480 with most settings on normal (shadows disabled), but if I get too close to trees or bushed the FPS will sink like a stone.

I don't think this is possible to avoid really huh.gif

Ok i am just wondering if Morphicon are sure they can fix the issues with the hotfix, and does anyone know where i will get this hotfix from once its out. I must say i am more then disappointed that the German version has these issues.

I think you will find the hotfix on armedassault.info, here in the forums and on the morphicon forums once it's out.

wink_o.gif

crazy_o.gif

I think your right.

4600 x 2. 2 gig. X1950XTX and it runs like an Amiga 500.

it's not the hardware,

it's the games engine which "sucks" performancewise.

ArmA is looking so nice but it kinda has big problems with textures and stuff...

wish it would run like HLË›...no don't complain, I don't compare the 2 games because you can't...but HLË› graphics are very flexible and powerful. looks like BIS screwed sth up sad_o.gif

hopefully they can improve performance and all in patches.

(and hopefully the morphiconhotfix will be available very fast crazy_o.gif )

Ok i am just wondering if Morphicon are sure they can fix the issues with the hotfix, and does anyone know where i will get this hotfix from once its out. I must say i am more then disappointed that the German version has these issues.

the fix was ready last night already. However, they found another minor bug and they are adding that at the moment. I was told that the fix should be available later today. You will find it also on ArmAmods.net soon as it is ready.

the fix was ready last night already. However, they found another minor bug and they are adding that at the moment. I was told that the fix should be available later today. You will find it also on ArmAmods.net soon as it is ready.

hopefully they are fixing it, not adding a new bug tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

and hopefully we all will have more fps then!

crazy_o.gif

OK...4x 3.0GHz Xeons with 4GB Ram, 7800GS and X-FI (and TrackIR3 pro).

At first start, it was running slower than OFP when it came out...very low frames, stuttering and laggy.

I figured out quite fast, what was causing that heavy frame drops.

1.) You NEED the newest drivers for your hardware!

2.) I forgot to switch my X-FI mode to games, which produced a huge hit to frames. So assure yourself to switch the mode to "games".

3.) I MAXED all settings to the highest possible setting...BUT...and now it comes...totally switched off AA (at first it was 4xAA).

I run Arma @1280-1024 now...and it runs flawless. As I know that HDR and post-processes will switch off AA, at least on NVIDIA cards, automatically, I switched that AA option to disable. HUGE performance gain....it runs absolutely flawless now.

What I would like to see:

Of course a performance patch so i can enable AA again...I even would switch off PPE for that...dunno if the HDR will do AA on NVIDIA cards...probably not.

HDR switch "disable"

PPE switch including "disable"

ForceFeedback slider and switch to adjust strength.

AND HEY GUESS WHAT...iFEEL is implemented as well...although the effects are very weak...so I need a slider for the iFEEL effects as well   whistle.gif

Moderator,

if i cant post this, let me know and i will edit it completely.

not sure if im allowed to post this, but here is a tool i use to shut of services when playing IL2. it should work the same w/ any game.

Info on the tool:

Link to the tool: note you will need to register.

http://www.flying-legends.net/php/downloads/download.php?id=613

FSAutoStart gives the user the ability to automatically shutdown services and programs to provide as much resources to running today's most demanding games and applications. It also provides the ability to launch selected programs after the selected application is launched. Lastly, it can automatically restart those programs and services previously shutdown, thus bringing the computer back to its original state. It also adds performance enhancing options like Defragment Memory. FSAutoStart was originally written for users of Microsoft Flight Simulator, but is flexible enough to handle any game or other demanding application that needs as much computer power as possible. For help and updates visit: http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/

As I know that HDR and post-processes will switch off AA, at least on NVIDIA cards, automatically, I switched that AA option to disable. HUGE performance gain....it runs absolutely flawless now.

i did not know that... good tip - does it apply to all games or just ArmA.

FSAA and postprocessing work on some cards (ATI X1xxx cards, the very latest Nvidias). Hint: Set your drivers FSAA and Anisotrophy settings to 'application managed', then set FSAA from within ArmA. Works fine using a ATI X1600 card. Just be aware that the performance hit can be quite noticable depending on your card.

Just want to say, I have also extremly performance problems.

---

- Athlon 64 Socket 939 3800+ @2900Mhz

- NForce3 Chipset

- NVidia Geforce 6800GT 256MB

- Creative Audigy 2ZS

- 2x 1024MB DDR1 PC400 Ram "Dualchannel"

- S-ATAII Harddisk Raid 0

- Samsung 205BW widescreen 1680x1050

(compare my hardware with the "recommended hardware" printed on the back of the arma's dvd cover)

---

Running ArmA with everything at "normal" settings, 1200m viewdistance.

Vsync = off

AA and AF = "application controlled" in the nvidia control panel.

Also tried the -maxmem=xxxx command.

Latest Bios, drivers, patches, updates, directX for everything installed. PC runs perfect.

---

- The games runs slower then OFP at high settings/viewdistance.

- Extremly slow loading of textures.

- LOD changes 2meters in front of you:

CLICK! Look at the soldiers weapon. (14fps)

- Soundproblems like someone else said here. First shoot sounds like underwater.

---

What can I say. I did not expected my pc to run ArmA very fast. But seeing ArmA running like this makes me extremly disappointed.

There is something WRONG with the engine of this game.

Don't know if it's the copy protection, but it's not ok like it is now!

---

What a shame, think about all the new customers never heard about OFP, installing this game and can't even get a touch of what it is capable of...

---

Hope there will be a patch out SOON that fixes this PERFORMANCE HELL.

MfG Lee ... (no smilie available for my feelings...)

I read nowhere if you updated to version 1.01 of the game?

If you have the German Release then you will notice that v1.01 solves 99,9% of all performance problems.

Your performance problem is probably your resolution 1680x1050...

As anything over 1024x768 seems to reduce fps a lot!

(pretty shitty of coarse, since you have a widescreen tft, which doesn't like different resolution than 1680x1050 i guess sad_o.gif)

Also turn down Anisotropic and Anti aliasing INGAME (advanced settings), what happens if you turn anti aliasing off completely (ingame)

I pressed a whole day my F5 key to update the morphicon website to see if the patch is out.

The first thing I have done is to update ArmA to 1.01.

It did NOT help!

I have turned everything to ultra-low-deluxe, does not help.

---

Turning down the resolution helps, yes.

But playable is ArmA only at 640x480. Looks great...

---

Here a screenshot with the lowest settings available:

Click me, I'm running on 30fps!

---

I think, I know why it looks so bad.

You all know about OFP's feature located in the userinfo.cfg:

frameRate=25.000000;

Means: OFP try's to hold the fps stable at 25, using lower LODs and textures, etc.

If we say, there is something wrong with ArmA or the copy protection system used, so we allways have too low fps even with high end PC's.

So it looks to me, that ArmA try's to hold stable FPS, which is not possible with this bug present(if there is one hidden in the engine or the copy protection).

Result is bad lod's switching in front of you, slow texture loading, etc.

---

I can't and I will not believe that Morphicon, BIS, the Betatesters played ArmA this way and said:

"Horray, runs great, we have Gold Status!"

---

MfG Lee huh.gif

Hi all,

I have similar problems like Lee_H._Oswald,

I can't switch AA on if I do this then I get low FPS all the time.

If I switch off AA I can max out all other settings and I don't get any FPS drops.

I also have problems with sound like it was reported elsewhere on the Forum, I hear distant sounds too loud and such, doesent metter if I have Hardware Acceleration for Sound On or OFF same for EAX. sad_o.gif

I have ARMA German Version and I applied 1.01 patch, I have all latest drivers for my Hardware and system is clean and works perfectly.

My Specs:

Pentium4 3.2 GH HT,

2048 MB RAM

ATI Radeon 9800XT Graphic Card

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Soundcard

Now my opinion is that this what happens when AA is on must be some bug in the game engine same I think for the sound problems. crazy_o.gif

I wish that there should be more feedback from BIS on the Forum regarding this Problems, if they are addressed or not and about progress in fixing them, that would give me and outher customers some better feeling, but I know if they would write such things on the forum they would have less time to work on the game, some short periodic feedback would be appriciated alot.

Anyway I have experienced much problems with other games I bought in recent time, in comparission to them I must say Arma works verry well for the first release, I only hope all the problems will be solved quickly, from my experience with BIS in the past I am confident that this will be the case.

Best regards!

I wonder if anyone that has AA also has that new Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX. While its GPU is freaking fast, I am wondering about its memory too - which has 768MB of DDR3.

While my currently processor will not allow it to preform to it's fullest, I rather get it than a higher end GeForce 7 series.

Can somone tell me whats the best visibility setting to have. I read somwhere that it said the higher the setting the less fps you would get. Well i have turned mine to full and there doesnt appear to be an fps loss. But can somone just tell me what is the best setting to have it at.

Look @ my settings, works great with my GeForce 7600GS 512MB.

how many FPS?

30?

40?

how many of ram?

your processor?

what is your OS?

a 7600GS with 512MB can run correctly the game?