Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

What OS do you like best?

I have Win98, Win NT Workstation 4.0, and Win XP-Pro on my computer. I use win98 as my primary OS, and I love it. XP is all very well, very stable, very pretty, but it sucks way too many resources compared to 98. And my 98 is pretty damn stable anyway, and has much more reliable driver support than XP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In some ways it is.....games are not going to run right on linux and shit.....<span id='postcolor'>

How many hours of the day do you spend gaming? How many hours of the day do you spend behind your PC talking on ICQ/IRC, browsing the net, downloading stuff etc?

I would say I spend about 8 times longer doing the latter than the previous which is why I use Linux.

I just get so fed up of the BSOD's, random windows crazyness and constant security issues. Added to that right now it seems like it's open season on home computers with more virus's being released per day than I have hot meals in a month. Specially these bios viruses that seem to affect only Windoze based machines.

If more people used Linux, games developers would be happier to release Linux binarys as their audience would open further. But that wont happen untill people lose their preconcieved conceptions about what Linux/Unix are and what their supposid "limitations" are.

That wont happen though because people are dumb

biggrin.gifconfused.gifwow.gifmad.gif

Baaah all this "security issues" stuff is hype and scaremongering, I've been online for about 5 years now and in that time I've caught two viruses which caused a format, both times my fault because I couldn't be bothered to regularly do a virus scan.......

As for BSOD's, since installing XP I can't even remember what they look like wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Baaah all this "security issues" stuff is hype and scaremongering<span id='postcolor'>

Uhuh, so why do you feel the need to run your own personall firewall honey? smile.gif

I dont even know of a linux virus checker. I doubt there is too many purely because they're not needed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As for BSOD's, since installing XP I can't even remember what they look like<span id='postcolor'>

What? did they change the colour of the BSOD, or do you get an option for which colour/font type you want? tounge.gif

erroriface.gif

errpacie.gif

errievirus.gif

Hmm I'm a moderator, I should know better smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Jan. 31 2002,21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Uhuh, so why do you feel the need to run your own personall firewall honey? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL so I can detect when you're trying to hack my puter to steal my "educational" biology pics wink.gif

AS far as 98 being better on system resources than XP.. 98 cannot effectivley use ove 256mb of ram.. it will not allocate it correctley.. no matter how much you THINK you know and alter yer swap file settings..etc. so if you have a gaming computer that is remotley up to date (more than 256mb of ram) then 98 is holding you back.. XP may use a little more ram than 98 (I doubt it uses much more at all) but Xp actually knows how to use it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Jan. 31 2002,08:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In some ways it is.....games are not going to run right on linux and shit.....<span id='postcolor'>

How many hours of the day do you spend gaming? How many hours of the day do you spend behind your PC talking on ICQ/IRC, browsing the net, downloading stuff etc?

I would say I spend about 8 times longer doing the latter than the previous which is why I use Linux.

I just get so fed up of the BSOD's, random windows crazyness and constant security issues. Added to that right now it seems like it's open season on home computers with more virus's being released per day than I have hot meals in a month. Specially these bios viruses that seem to affect only Windoze based machines.

If more people used Linux, games developers would be happier to release Linux binarys as their audience would open further. But that wont happen untill people lose their preconcieved conceptions about what Linux/Unix are and what their supposid "limitations" are.

That wont happen though because people are dumb

biggrin.gif   confused.gif  wow.gif   mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I probably spend about 11 hours a day gaming and then about 4 doing anything else.....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Jan. 31 2002,08:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Baaah all this "security issues" stuff is hype and scaremongering, I've been online for about 5 years now and in that time I've caught two viruses which caused a format, both times my fault because I couldn't be bothered to regularly do a virus scan.......

As for BSOD's, since installing XP I can't even remember what they look like wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I have caught probably 13 viruses in the last year.....all blocked out by virus scan running....I don't have to worry about system scans when nothing gets through...

bout 5 in e-mail 1 surfing the net the rest on morpheus....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Feb. 01 2002,00:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL so I can detect when you're trying to hack my puter to steal my "educational" biology pics wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Human biology and propagation? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Feb. 01 2002,09:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Human biology and propagation?  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Home made skin softener collection wink.gif