Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

What OS do you like best?

I actually prefer XP pro.. it seems to be as stable and capable as 2000 pro and boots quicker..

maby I should have specified USEABLE OS's

yep XP pro too very stable never crashed and fantastic =]]

and winME on lappy, only cos not enough ram for xp =[[

/me HAILS BILL GATES

Is it just me or is Wobble's flag rather slow to load? Either way I know 3dflags.com don't like people linking directly to them, someone remind me and I'll upload it to my virtualave account tonight when I get home smile.gif

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>[note to Placebo: Upload Wobble's flag to your BiFF account !End note!]</span>

Win XP pro just amazes me. It's the best OS I've ever used. Very stable and reliable. The only downside on my puter is that XP takes to much of my HD. As I only got a 4gb HD, most of it goes to XP,, thereore I'm thinking about returning to win98 (which is the next best OS IMO).

If I get a better computer, I'll definetly run win XP pro on it smile.gif

I like Win98 but I still have Win ME on this computer.

WHY is this forum still so slow mad.gif ? It must be a scheme to make us post less!

LOL thanx for that Snake wink.gif

Here ya go Wobble http://obecalp.virtualave.net/wobble.gif smile.gif

I use XP and I certainly think it's a great OS smile.gif

BTW does everyone know about that XP default setting where 20% of your bandwidth is reserved for "emergencies"? I found out about it the other night and changed it to 0%, was gonna make a post about it but figured if it's common knowledge there's no point smile.gif

I'm still running on win 98 even through I have a copy of Xp pro sad.gif . XP is a toatal lump of shit ti get working with my pc even through it is less than 5 months old. None of my modme work with XP neither does my DVD rom XP does not even seem to know that it is there. But it must be me thinks for me to install it properly. sad.gif

BTW does everyone know about that XP default setting where 20% of your bandwidth is reserved for "emergencies"? I found out about it the other night and changed it to 0%, was gonna make a post about it but figured if it's common knowledge there's no point

do what? never heard of this? where is this setting?

Ahh I'm not the only one then? In that case I'll copy&paste a thread from whence I found it into here smile.gif

Well personally I think the best OS was the ROM based GUI used by the Atari ST series. It took up no space on your hard drive and used no RAM. So instead of having only 80% of your actual RAM and hard drive space taken up, your computer was its actual specs, not a taxed version.

My favorite OS is Linux: I only use Windows because I have to for games and video editing. In my last job I was developing software on Linux and the first time I rebooted after installing the OS was about six months later when the CPU fan wore out, though I had to log out every couple of months after X-windows sucked up most of the memory.

Hell, even Netscape would run for a month without crashing! Now that's what I call reliable...

My favourite OS = Red Hat w/ kernel ver 2.4.17 and WindowMaker WM.

It's a shame people are so nieve to think that Windoze is the only usable OS and that M$ products are actually "good" wow.gif but the worlds goes on and the nieve get eaten by firebreathing dragons.

I don't want to get XP because it's to kiddie.....everything is being made for dumb ass's.....just like AOL is....I mean fuck AOL is a virus and it wont be long before window's is just as bad.....

that's the main reason I don't want it but also to much of my stuff wont work with it.....and I don't want to have a hand full of games not work on it......

other wise I could download it any time I want to...or buy it....probably best to buy an OS......

though I couldn't find anything but XP pro on winMX...I wouldn't want an upgrade of window's 2000....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Jan. 29 2002,08:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My favourite OS = Red Hat w/ kernel ver 2.4.17  and WindowMaker WM.

It's a shame people are so nieve to think that Windoze is the only usable OS and that M$ products are actually "good" wow.gif but the worlds goes on and the nieve get eaten by firebreathing dragons.<span id='postcolor'>

In some ways it is.....games are not going to run right on linux and shit.....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rogue2020 @ Jan. 30 2002,07:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't want to get XP because it's to kiddie.....<span id='postcolor'>

The default skin for WinXP is a little bit like something out of teletubbies belly but if you have time to check what XP is really about then you'll see it's a lot better than any other version of Windows.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rogue2020 @ Jan. 30 2002,06:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't want to get XP because it's to kiddie.....everything is being made for dumb ass's.....just like AOL is....I mean fuck AOL is a virus and it wont be long before window's is just as bad.....

that's the main reason I don't want it but also to much of my stuff wont work with it.....and I don't want to have a hand full of games not work on it......

other wise I could download it any time I want to...or buy it....probably best to buy an OS......

though I couldn't find anything but XP pro on winMX...I wouldn't want an upgrade of window's 2000....<span id='postcolor'>

Well moonboy, if you take more than 5 seconds to look at it before ya piss and moan you will finds its very easy to run it in a "stripped" mode that looks like win2k.. with only the bare essentials running... making it really good for games, very lean on tis use of ram, and very fast.... aside from being super compatable and stable.. which it is aswell.

not that I would expect that from you....

and I don't want to have a hand full of games not work on it......

Considering it has Win98, Win95 and win2k compatability mode, there isnt much that WONT run on it..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't want to get XP because it's to kiddie.....everything is being made for dumb ass's.....just like AOL is....I mean fuck AOL is a virus and it wont be long before window's is just as bad.....

though I couldn't find anything but XP pro on winMX...I wouldn't want an upgrade of window's 2000....<span id='postcolor'>

Well moonboy, if you take more than 5 seconds to look at it before ya piss and moan you will finds its very easy to run it in a "stripped" mode that looks like win2k.. with only the bare essentials running...  making it really good for games, very lean on tis use of ram, and very fast.... aside from being super compatable and stable.. which it is aswell.

not that I would expect that from you....

and I don't want to have a hand full of games not work on it......

Considering it has Win98, Win95 and win2k compatability mode, there isnt much that WONT run on it..<span id='postcolor'>

Closed minded people like you make me sick...but fuck it we can be enemy's all you want but yeah I know it's more stable and that's why I would want it but I hear all kinds of shit about games not working and shit.....and I did look at it for more than 5 fucking minutes I have been researching it for month's and it's not worth the trouble......

You make this thing out like a big fucking deal with the moon.....I mean fuck it doesn't change anything you knowing it didn't happen..and if solid evidence came along that it did would it change anything for me?..nope....just another fucking day.......

And another thing WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THAT DAMN BUTT UGLY BABY???....I hate baby's..... mad.gifbiggrin.gif

XP may look too candy but remove the theme and voilá, not anymore. Windows 2000 was good but XP is a lot better and (at least fopr me) it's really good for gaming. Of course all the real work is done in UNIX environment but at home i'll stick with Windows XPpro.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sn1per @ Jan. 31 2002,09:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">XP may look too candy but remove the theme and voilá, not anymore.<span id='postcolor'>

I did that at first but then I realised I have been looking at the same boring theme since 1995 and now it's time for a change. Then I switched back to the metallic teletubby skin.

For Games, WinXP pro, by a long shot. For just about anything else, it's a close call between FreeBSD and Debian GNU/Linux.