Sign in to follow this  
FLYBOY4258

.50 cal rifle

going back the that convention thing saying u'r not aloud to shoot men with a .50 cal there not exactly going to lie there and go that guy is cheating he shot me with a .50 cal no ones going to no so whats the point or are there sad losers who go round after a war saying this guy was shot by an ak-47 this guy a M16 carbine and then oohh my god this guy was shot by a .50 cal someone was cheating we will find him and bang him up in cuba noooo thay dont do that do yey and why isnt there any real landing craft in flashpoint the ones like out of saving privert ryan

The 50. can penetrate armor... seen pics off but it realeases a lot of sparks when hiting a armored target.

The M1A2 i doubt can stand against The DU (depleted Uranium Slugs) cause they penetrate almost anything even concrete.

And aircraft's well they can you look staright through after a short burst.

Also know somebody that loves (literally loves) the 50 cal and the AWP.

The .50BMG( Caliber .50 Browing ) is used in both the Barret M82A1/2 and the Browing M2 Machine gun. Same thing.

The US M33 .50BMG Ball round has a muzzle energy of roughly 15,000 Joules when shot from the barrel of a Barret M82A1.

The WW2 Finish AT rifle "Lahti" fires a 20mm round with a muzzle energy of something like 50,000 joules thus making it three times more powerful as the .50BMG. And yet it could not penetrate the armor of the Russian WW2 T34 tank.

So how do you think a .50BMG could even scratch a modern tank? Well if you are so damn sure you could take out all tanks with the .50 machine gun/AA gun of your run of the mill MBT or IFV. THINK, people, THINK: The M1A1/2 does have a 120mm cannon for a reason, no?

And flyboy you really talk out of your ass as someone here put it. And that new tank you were talking about is methinks the T-95 wich will prolly be the T-100 if it enters production. It is only on a prototype stage. And the autoloader itself is nothing special, all russian tanks since the T-64 have had autoloaders. The elimination of the turret and the seating of the crew in the hull is interesting enough tough.

And concrete is a really weak "hard" material when you compare it to the chobhamm armor of the M1 tank.

excuse me, if .50's are illegal against humans, why was the Desert Eagle invented with its .50AE round (yeah I know it also fires .44 and .357)? I can't imagine the DE doing anything against APCs or something...

They were talking about the .50 BMG round, not the .50 Action Express round, that is a pistol round.

I don't even think that Desert Eagle in .50AE is even used by any military orginization. Its too big to be usefull.

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

(due to the geniva convention we are no long able to shoot at the body of an enemy solider becasue what a .50 can do to a human so we have to shoot at the gear<span id='postcolor'>

So they want them to die a slow painful death filled with little bullets instead of what would probably be quick and painless with a 50.....I guess that is more "humane"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AntiPasta @ Feb. 07 2002,21:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">excuse me, if .50's are illegal against humans, why was the Desert Eagle invented with its .50AE round (yeah I know it also fires .44 and .357)? I can't imagine the DE doing anything against APCs or something...<span id='postcolor'>

Well, it may surprise you that the market for guns (pistols inparticular) doesn't only cover military organisations. Lots of people by weapons for their own use for ranges, hunting, 'protection', etc.

If any product has a gimmic then it'll sell. The .50 Calibre Desert Eagle sure has a gimmic and gun lovers would kill for it.

Jubs - hope that explained a few things for you

well i guess a DE has its uses... probably one of the most powerful handguns around, and it's still smaller than a M16... and if there's one gun really suited to kill Bin Laden it's a DE (US-Israel joint venture...)

and it's on the NATO weapons list and it's available in silver and gold

Well if it comes in silver and/or gold then it must be worth it!

...oh and Bin Laden definately shouldn't be killed. He should be kept alive for as long as possible in the most stinking, disgusting, barely legal (preferably convention breaking), hell hole of a prision on the face of this earth! Far better a punishment than death...plus if he is killed he becomes a martyr for his cause...

Jubs

Id have to agree with Jub, I dont think the Berrett M82A1A, even when firing special .50 SABOT rounds can kill anyone in a M1A1 or any modern MBT. But oddly enough, I have a friend that just finished his tour of service as an Army Ranger and he told me stories that they did use .50 rifles with special ammo to peirce old tanks they used for target practise. Im guessing "old" as in decomissioned M60s or older.

Since tank armors are highly classified, I dont think any of us can know for sure what ammo fired from which gun will penetrate which armor, without being raided my the FBI in the next few days.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Enron Exec @ Feb. 26 2002,22:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Since tank armors are highly classified, I dont think any of us can know for sure what ammo fired from which gun will penetrate which armor, without being raided my the FBI in the next few days.<span id='postcolor'>

As an Enron exec, you might as well have fun while you can, as it's just a question of time when the FBI will raid your home anyway. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DigitalCenturion @ Feb. 12 2002,22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not if barney the dinosaur kills him.

By shooting him in the nuts with a air rifle. Several times.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL biggrin.gif

If Barney does that, then I shall forgive what trauma he caused upon millions of kids! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rogue2020 @ Feb. 08 2002,01:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

(due to the geniva convention we are no long able to shoot at the body of an enemy solider becasue what a .50 can do to a human so we have to shoot at the gear<span id='postcolor'>

So they want them to die a slow painful death filled with little bullets instead of what would probably be quick and painless with a 50.....I guess that is more "humane"<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, the .50 BMG was designed as a high-velocity armor-peircing round. When it hits something, it has a tendancy to penetrate it- at the cost of any damage outside the diameter of the bullet. It makes big, small holes in things, and thus causes minimal damage to whatever person you're shooting at yet puts them is a great deal of pain, hence why it was prohibited by the Geneva convension.

Despite the controversy, I got a comment on the original post about a .50 cal rifle being available in OFP. Has anyone used the LT1 Seals addon? It includes like 10 different units, along with some modified weaponry. M4s with sniper scopes, SAW automatic weapons, AND a .50 cal sniper rifle with exploding rounds. I know the exploding rounds is a bit out of hand, this thing can take down a building with a single shot. Still I'd thought I'd let you guys know about it. It's worth checking out even without the .50 cal.

Follow this link NAA, to my squads page for it, goto the addons section and look for the LT1 Seals addon. BTW, we didn't make this addon, so you can probably find it elsewhere too.

Biggs/[NAA]Kyuss

M903 SLAP (Saboted Light Armor Penetrating)

Caliber: .50 BMG

Projectile Mass: 23.33 g  (360 gr)

Muzzle Velocity: 1219.2 m/sec  (4000 fps), @ 23.8 m  (78 ft) from muzzle

Muzzle Energy: 17,339.6 J  (12,789 ft.lbs), @ 23.8 m  (78 ft) from muzzle

Compatible Weapons : Robar RC50, .50 Barret

Description: Developed in the late 1980's and standardized March 31, 1993, the SLAP round is the most powerful anti-armor small arms cartridge available. Pushing a saboted .30 caliber 360 gr tungsten projectile to 4000 feet per second, M903 is capable of penetrating up to 34mm of hard armor at 500 meters range - almost twice that of standard M2 ball ammunition.

Mk 211 MOD 0 AP-HEI "Raufoss"

Caliber: .50 BMG

Projectile Mass: 43.48 g (671 gr)

Muzzle Velocity: 887.0 m/sec (2910 fps), @ 23.8 m (78 ft) from muzzle

Muzzle Energy: 17,105.0 J (12,616 ft.lbs), @ 23.8 m (78 ft) from muzzle

Compatible Weapons : Robar RC50, .50 Barret

Description: Developed by the Nordic Ammunition Company in Sweden, this cartridge replaces all incendiary rounds currently in service. Also known as the Multi-Purpose NM140, the round is capable of penetrating 11mm of armor at 1000m and will give approximately 20 effective fragments after hitting 2mm of Dural. It contains both incendiary and high explosive compositions plus a tungsten core for superior penetration and lethality. The ammunition is drop-safe from 15m height and is identified by a green tip.

AFAIK these 2 ammo types are normally used for the .50 Barret. there both able to smash the armor of a old tank (T55) or APC(BMP) but not that of a MBT (T72,T80).

ive seen a video of a 50 cal sniper rifle being shot at a tank, it was either using HE, HEAT or SABOT or DU and it went through the tank and blew up in the turret, and they said that the bullet itself doesnt destroy the tank, it blows up in the turret killing the crew, but anyways, the 50 cal sniper rifle round can go through the armor of a tank

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the 50 cal sniper rifle round can go through the armor of a tank<span id='postcolor'>

No it can't. Some people just don't learn..... sad.gif

Tyler

oh so the video was just a lie ok./....., it showed them firing a 50 cdal sniper rifle and it went through the armor of the turret and into the inside

Don't beleive everything you see.

There is also a video on the net that shows a 'Javelin' missle blowing the turret off of a T-72, that video is fake. There is not enough explosive inside the Javelin to lift a 15 ton turret high into the air. I don't care what anyone says.

Just an example.

.50 BMG will NOT penetrate the armour of any modern or old Main Battle Tank. In can however penetrate an APC (eg: BMP)

Tyler

For as much as I know here in sweden we use the Berret .50 cal to destroy mines or to shoot at the crew in apc´s. Its not used to shoot at people but I believe that US shot individual important targets during Operation Desertstorm from ranges over 1000 meters.

And, I believe that even if you can penetrate the armor of a MBT its qite hard to actually hit the crew.

I dont know if what Im going to say is correct but anyway; I have heard that if you shoot 20cm from a persons arm it can get ripped of due to the pressure that the large highspeed bullet makes. Now if its true... thats nasty!

they did take out pzkpfwg 1 ,pzkpfwg 2 and pzkpfwg 38t based tanks , they also did take out sdkfz half tracks , but do you really think that they have taken out tiger tanks and panther confused.gif?? NOT , the russian at rifles weren't used in big number anymore after 1943