Sign in to follow this  
westy159

The Campaign

Im rather curious as to what type of missions the campaign will hold. So far all we know is the outline of the story and that there will be 12(?) main missions with many different extra side missions to play. We dont known what kind of missions these will be. You see I remember the original CWC campaign having a great variety of missions. The simple ones at the begginning where the charcters of the soldiers around you like Kozlowski and Berghof developed and then everything just went to hell in Montignac Must fall and After Montignac. After that you joined up with the resistance. Later you took the role of James Gastoski the Black Op. Then you moved on to tanks, planes and big assualt missions, commanding your own squad etc. There were about 50 missions i believe in CWC.

Then came the Resistance expansion pack. In comparison to the CWC campaign i thought the Resistance campaign was quite poor. It started off pretty well and was quite interesting but soon it became repeated "go there and destroy enemy base" missions.

I worried that the ArmA campaign will go the same way. So far to me it looks like the beginning will be simple "defend this place" missions and then quickly moving onto repeated missions of "take this place, kill all" till the whole island is under American control.

Placebo has already said they're going to keep the content of the missions/campaign under wraps.

We'll just have to wait until we can get hold of AmrA to know whats in it.

What are we supposed to tell you now westy ?

Keeping in mind that BIS has a nice concept about the troops and surrounding I guess we´ll see a nice campaign aswell.

goodnight.gif

Im rather curious as to what type of missions the campaign will hold. So far all we know is the outline of the story and that there will be 12(?) main missions with many different extra side missions to play. We dont known what kind of missions these will be. You see I remember the original CWC campaign having a great variety of missions. The simple ones at the begginning where the charcters of the soldiers around you like Kozlowski and Berghof developed and then everything just went to hell in Montignac Must fall and After Montignac. After that you joined up with the resistance. Later you took the role of James Gastoski the Black Op. Then you moved on to tanks, planes and big assualt missions, commanding your own squad etc. There were about 50 missions i believe in CWC.

Then came the Resistance expansion pack. In comparison to the CWC campaign i thought the Resistance campaign was quite poor. It started off pretty well and was quite interesting but soon it became repeated "go there and destroy enemy base" missions.

I worried that the ArmA campaign will go the same way. So far to me it looks like the beginning will be simple "defend this place" missions and then quickly moving onto repeated missions of "take this place, kill all" till the whole island is under American control.

Well,don't worry about it. It's an open game and even if you don't like the original campaign you will see a lot of another ones just a little later that make you happy smile_o.gif

Well,don't worry about it. It's an open game and even if you don't like the original campaign you will see a lot of another ones just a little later that make you happy smile_o.gif

I disagree. How many quality usermade campaigns for OFP did we have? Retaliation, FDF stuff and maybe CSLA2 campaign (didn't like it personally, 2 hour intro movies ftl). That's all, so let's hope BIS makes a quality product. After all, they haven't disappointed us before.

its not like u'll have to wait to long. in about a fortnight someone will post up the entire details of the campaign

I wonder how realistic will those missions be. The briefing screens are a bit bf-ish already, compared to what have our talented mission makers done with ofp. Things like map markers, and briefings are quite important when we talk about the immersion. Sure, some people simply don't want to read a detailed briefing, but well some people play with the "extra armour" or "friendly/enemy tags" visible on the screen. confused_o.gif

Next thing is the mission itself, there were situations in ofp/res that simply wouldn't ever happen in real life. I think It was caused by the balance of force between the player's side and the opfor. What I mean is that AI weren't smart enough to hold you or defeat you even when they were in advance, and to make the missions challenging, It was done by increasing the number of units rather than their skills.

It's like:

here's a infantry team...isn't it too easy?, well maybe we should throw two or three bmp's there, or a mbt...that would do the trick. Oh, the default loadout icludes two RPG's and one soldier with AT weapon. So, when this armour, we've just placed there, is destroyed, another 2 tanks will roll in from here etc.

I disagree. How many quality usermade campaigns for OFP did we have? Retaliation, FDF stuff and maybe CSLA2 campaign (didn't like it personally, 2 hour intro movies ftl). That's all, so let's hope BIS makes a quality product. After all, they haven't disappointed us before.

Than you didn't play many campaigns... ^^

Than you didn't play many campaigns... ^^

Indeed.

This thread makes me want to install OFP, Red hammer and Resistence and do the campaigns again. I had no comlaints of them when they were released I thought they were all great. I can expect Armed Assault to be worth the 3 year wait.

I don't expect much of a strong story in the campaign, it seems that with the advent of the change of character option BIS have sacrificed a bit of storytelling (that is, being able to follow just one character storywise) for good ole military anonymity.

Not that I mind, it leaves the door open for far more immersive campaigns to be made... biggrin_o.gif

I don't expect much of a strong story in the campaign, it seems that with the advent of the change of character option BIS have sacrificed a bit of storytelling (that is, being able to follow just one character storywise) for good ole military anonymity.

Not that I mind, it leaves the door open for far more immersive campaigns to be made... biggrin_o.gif

Agree

If the player can switch characters when he or she dies ( im not sure if this is the case with ArmA) then all the fear and tension created by the game is taken away, imo.

Agree

Umm we switched characters in CWC campaign and it still was really good.

In ARMA you can literally switch in real time in the same mission to a different persons perspective. Which, in my opinion kills the best part of OFP; just trying to stay alive.

If the player can switch characters when he or she dies ( im not sure if this is the case with ArmA) then all the fear and tension created by the game is taken away, imo.

Then don't switch when you die! You're like the community in Oblivion screamed about when they had fast travel. If you dont like it, just say to yourself that when you die you'll restart and all will be well. How old are you? Do you have no self control?

not to mention in some of the previews when people died it came up with the death screen, maybe theres an option to turn the switch soldier thingy off, or maybe its just for cadet level difficulty

What I hope about the campaign is that if they make different roles like in CWC (infantryman, blackop, tanker, pilot) they'll just make 4 different campaigns. I personally just hate the OFP planes (helicopters are somewhat tolerable although very unrealistic) and ended up with the endmission cheat after trying enough of 'em.

Or just leave out the piloting part, that's fine for me tounge2.gif

In ARMA you can literally switch in real time in the same mission to a different persons perspective. Which, in my opinion kills the best part of OFP; just trying to stay alive.

Yeah, I totally agree with you. It's just so stupid to change the character when you die, no reason to try to stay alive. No fun, it's all gone sad. I am going to restart the mission when my main character is dying, I just can't ruin the fun by changing characters. How on earth would the story go on if you're main character dies? It's just so sad.

Yeah, I totally agree with you. It's just so stupid to change the character when you die, no reason to try to stay alive. No fun, it's all gone sad. I am going to restart the mission when my main character is dying, I just can't ruin the fun by changing characters. How on earth would the story go on if you're main character dies? It's just so sad.

I doubt they will allow you to switch after you die, thats just not something BIS would do.

And if you don't like real-time switching...don't use it. Duh!

Well, it's as a goddamn feature, and if a mission gets really hard, you maybe just can't resist and use it 'only for this mission', which ruins the fun etc.

I don't like how BIS gets lazy and doesn't make it like in CWC; different campaigns for different characters. Now they just put all in the same, with a relatively small, fast played campaign. This just isn't right.

Well, it's as a goddamn feature, and if a mission gets really hard, you maybe just can't resist and use it 'only for this mission', which ruins the fun etc.

I don't like how BIS gets lazy and doesn't make it like in CWC; different campaigns for different characters. Now they just put all in the same, with a relatively small, fast played campaign. This just isn't right.

hey if we get this game earlier then im not complaining. it also leaves room to see what the community likes. if the community doesnt like it, or likes pieces bohmeia is gonna use that information to help creat a good campaign for Game 2

I don't think that people will complain/give feedback if the campaigns not good, they'll just stick to multiplayer and be happy. And bis won't listen to one person suggestions, even if they're good. Just hope it won't become too mainstream.

Character switching. Welcome to short attention span-based theater. It will most likely be impossible to complete the ArmA campaign without changing characters like they have designed.

Don't get me wrong, new features are always better than without and I'll probably enjoy playing the campaign through through "multiple sets of eyes."

Now about one character dying. It depends on if BIS will consider the optional characters living to be a mission critical thing. If they can die without too much penalty then I'd imagine that losing one wouldn't fail the mission. This does affect the airs of immersion negatively.

Personally the ArmA SP campaign will serve as a big "tutorial" to myself for multiplayer, mods, and beyond.