Sign in to follow this  
Jamesia

Yes! Yes!! Yesss!!!!

OFP was made in four years, OFP2 is gonna take more than four years.

Or maybe the VBS is OFP2

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (masa @ Jan. 29 2002,16:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP was made in four years, OFP2 is gonna take more than four years.<span id='postcolor'>

The fact Opf took four years could well be to do with the fact that they wrote their own engine from scratch, also the situation where they lost their publisher and had to find another one etc.

Opf2 "could" well be made with a modified version of the Opf1 engine thus it wouldn't take anywhere near the 4 years Opf1 took to make........

Anyways all speculation, fun as it is we won't know anything for sure until Bis in their infinite omnipotence tell us wink.gif

Well, OFP took four years because they had to build the engine from scratch.

I would think that they could do OFP2 in under two years if they use the VBS engine (NOT the content, just the engine) for the sequel, since a lot of the work done on the original was just for the engine itself. If VBS can do all the things people say, it sounds perfect for OFP2.

It appears to be another official MOD...umm I'm wetting myself with anticipation. I expect now that the VBS stuff is about then all the new models are available and MODs like this one and Vietnam will be out in no time. WOOHOO!

I think that boat is actually fixed to the scenery, I still can't imagine that it is an independent unit and you cna land on it and walk around on it. I mean have you tried walking in a building in OPF lately...even that is dodgy!

Jubs

If its an official mod then we will have to pay for it. Damn more money towards OFP. They should have enough money by now to let it out for free. mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (URKET @ Jan. 30 2002,08:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They should have enough money by now to let it out for free. mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Why should they give us it for free? Bis are a business, writing software is their job, we're not entitled to something for free simply because we've bought something from them in the past.....

They've already provided plenty of new units/weapons/missions for free, not many other companies would dream of doing something like that..........

Opf gives people 100s of hours of entertainment for Å30.......

Max Payne gives around 10-15 hours of entertainment for the same price, will they give an addon for free? No they won't.......

Is the new Ghost Recon addon going to be free? no it's not and that's being released about 3 months after the release of the original game........

All of those vehicles would be awesome! I hope the AV-8 will have something like a HUD and fly alot better because the A-10 and Su-25 aren't fun to fly. Does anyone know if there will be USMC amphibious vehicles like an AAV?

Hmmm....I feel the need for some corrections in this thread.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Virtual Battle-field Simulator uses the VBS engine not the OFP engine. This means that when the data disc comes out in the Spring with all these tasty addons they will have OFP characteristics...not VBS characteristics. The only likely similarity will be the models and textures (which may actually have to be simplified for Operation Flaspoint). Basically you will not be able to stand on deck or go inside the ship, it'll be like the Logistics ship in the game at the moment. Landing on it will result in the aircraft uncomfortably jumping around or mysteriously falling through the ship to the murky sea depths. Other things I've noticed from VBS pictures is working ramps and rotors that fold back...these are unlikely to be in the OFP versions.<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, the VBS engine is not the same engine as found in OFP. It is based upon the same code, hence similar looks. But it is not the same. In VBS you can walk around inside vehicles, doors open and close, ramps move, rotors can fold back, models can use far more polygons, aircraft can land on ships, etc.<span id='postcolor'>

Dear mister Jub-Jub Bird...let me put it this way:

You're full of it tounge.gif

Why on earth do you go around stating this crap is if it all is a fact? You're free to speculate about what is to be possible in VBS and/or IL, but since you dont know shit about either of them, please dont try to sell this BS as facts...ok? We dont wanna have a community where rumours and facts get mixed up to a point where everyone will be let down by the final addon because they thought you'd be able to have intergalactic wars with it.

Come on ppl..... where were u the weeks/months before Redhammer was released? To me it seems logical that they addopt the same approach if its an addon for OFP. Release the models and mb the island and put the campaign on a disc released commercially. If it turns out that it becomes a solely commercial product .... well look at the units. Do you want them badly? there all those units ppl have been asking about the last few months. Then why would u object to paying for them? If its something you really want then i dont see a problem forking over the cash. Some ppl around here think they have a contract with BiS giving them exclusive rights to all their future products well sorry but u dont! You payed for OFP version 1.0 and thats what you got. Support is a bonus and quite frankly there has been allot. Some bugfixes which were necessary (but not compulsory for BiS to do) and allot of free stuff like vehicles. BiS doesnt owe us ppl sqaut outside of those things stipulated in the EULA and we got that and more

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm....I feel the need for some corrections in this thread.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Virtual Battle-field Simulator uses the VBS engine not the OFP engine. This means that when the data disc comes out in the Spring with all these tasty addons they will have OFP characteristics...not VBS characteristics. The only likely similarity will be the models and textures (which may actually have to be simplified for Operation Flaspoint). Basically you will not be able to stand on deck or go inside the ship, it'll be like the Logistics ship in the game at the moment. Landing on it will result in the aircraft uncomfortably jumping around or mysteriously falling through the ship to the murky sea depths. Other things I've noticed from VBS pictures is working ramps and rotors that fold back...these are unlikely to be in the OFP versions.<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, the VBS engine is not the same engine as found in OFP. It is based upon the same code, hence similar looks. But it is not the same. In VBS you can walk around inside vehicles, doors open and close, ramps move, rotors can fold back, models can use far more polygons, aircraft can land on ships, etc.<span id='postcolor'>

Dear mister Jub-Jub Bird...let me put it this way:

You're full of it tounge.gif

Why on earth do you go around stating this crap is if it all is a fact? You're free to speculate about what is to be possible in VBS and/or IL, but since you dont know shit about either of them, please dont try to sell this BS as facts...ok? We dont wanna have a community where rumours and facts get mixed up to a point where everyone will be let down by the final addon because they thought you'd be able to have intergalactic wars with it.<span id='postcolor'>

Oh no Sith, stop being horrible to me!

Well I know I shouldn't state my 'facts' to be Bible, but they are fairly common knowledge. I agree that it is not benificial to any community when rumours and facts mix and lead to great disappointment. But I am definatly not guilty of that crime. The way I saw it was I in fact calming people down. When the community in this forum was going crazy over some screen shots they'd seen I stepped in an used my over analytical and sceptical mind to quash ridiculous and fantastical romours and let everybody down. When IL does come out people will not be disappointed (well I don't think we will). I know what you are saying, and I agree with you up to the point you blamed me for inciting trouble.

P8ntM98, I do believe there will be AAVs in Independence Lost. They are in VBS, as are AAAVs, and I think they'll probably be on the data disc.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (supah @ Jan. 31 2002,12:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Some ppl around here think they have a contract with BiS giving them exclusive rights to all their future products well sorry but u dont! You payed for OFP version 1.0 and thats what you got. Support is a bonus and quite frankly there has been allot. Some bugfixes which were necessary (but not compulsory for BiS to do)  and allot of free stuff like vehicles. BiS doesnt owe us ppl sqaut outside of those things stipulated in the EULA and we got that and more<span id='postcolor'>

Couldn't have put it better myself smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Jub-Jub Bird @ Jan. 27 2002,14:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hate to put a damper on the celebrations...

...but those pictures are of VBS. Virtual Battle-field Simulator uses the VBS engine not the OFP engine. This means that when the data disc comes out in the Spring with all these tasty addons they will have OFP characteristics...not VBS characteristics. The only likely similarity will be the models and textures (which may actually have to be simplified for Operation Flaspoint). Basically you will not be able to stand on deck or go inside the ship, it'll be like the Logistics ship in the game at the moment. Landing on it will result in the aircraft uncomfortably jumping around or mysteriously falling through the ship to the murky sea depths. Other things I've noticed from VBS pictures is working ramps and rotors that fold back...these are unlikely to be in the OFP versions.

I am going to get seriously flammed now I can feel it coming...

Jubs<span id='postcolor'>

I wouldn't mind that much if we couldnt have the ship but i want those USMC helos really bad!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (P8ntM98 @ Feb. 01 2002,05:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wouldn't mind that much if we couldnt have the ship but i want those USMC helos really bad!!!<span id='postcolor'>

Totally, those Sea and Super Stallions look awesome.

And doesn't it strike you as odd that they put up their websites (public information) but as soon as the community at large catches whif and gets all excited they withdraw the information...daft...oh well.

yeah, suppose it keeps us on our toes.

Also, we forget about them, then they release them and we're like really surprised and stuff.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Some ppl around here think they have a contract with BiS giving them exclusive rights to all their future products well sorry but u dont! You payed for OFP version 1.0 and thats what you got. Support is a bonus and quite frankly there has been allot. Some bugfixes which were necessary (but not compulsory for BiS to do) and allot of free stuff like vehicles. BiS doesnt owe us ppl sqaut outside of those things stipulated in the EULA and we got that and more<span id='postcolor'>

Agreed, but let me add this.

If a company releases a buggy game and does not bother to try and fix it, people will not bother buying what they release afterwards. Afterall,... why should they??

When I buy something I expect it to be free of any flaws. BIS is not under any legal rules to have to make patches for their community, but if they don't, their sales might reflect that the next time they release something. I think that BIS is releasing these patches as a self COA move (Cover Our Asses).

When they release free stuff (patches/Addons), people will like them more as a "company that cares" and will be more likely to buy their stuff a second time around.

I am glad they they choose to do this, it shows that they wan't their customers to be satisfied and generally care about the sate of their product after it is released. Most companies don't do this.

If they keep up the awesome work, they have my money in the future. I have already spent $90 (Cdn) on OFP and am pleased so far.

Tyler

Just one of my speculations...

When they released these units to us we all got excited and thought that BIS were thoroughly nice chaps (well I am sure they are anyway). The AH-64 Apache, CH-47 Chinook, SU-25 Frogfoot, M163 Vulcan, M2 Bradley, BMP-2, HMMWV Hummer, BRDM and Trabant were very greatfully recieved by the masses and added loads to the gamers enjoyment and made everyone think, 'Hey, BIS really cares for it's gamers'. But the release of all the weapons and the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior got me thinking. Far from complain, I love them, but why did they add them? They didn't fit the game, and some of them didn't even fit the time period. Then came the announcement of VBS. What I suspect is that all this addons are early models from VBS. The vehicle textures are far superior and it would seem to me that BIS might have released them with the patches to keep us sweet, but it was actually of very little cost to them.

Don;t get me wrong, I am not complaining, but this is my opinion.

The Jub-Jub Bird

interesting. However I feel that BIS care about us.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Jan. 29 2002,01:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">placebo: No I think it was a simulator first and due to lots of interest the engine was sold to Novalogic<span id='postcolor'>

Well as old as I am my memory could be failing me, I just seem to recall having played the game a while then seeing on some website somewhere that they were going to be using it for a training tool, either way I'm not particularly fussed, was being a smidge pedantic really wink.gif

Talking of DF and Novalogic, I wonder if they'll be able to do a DF4 Opf beater or if they'll not bother and just give up? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Nope, Placebo is right....to prove the point, Delta Force use's Novalogic's own Voxel engine, which is used in games as far back as Comanche - Maximum Overkill (1993)

so bleh tounge.gif