Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

Scope VIEW (improved)

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>AWSOME!</span>

From the German Video we can notice a nice and special effect of the scope view.

Link of video -> http://www.armedassaults.de/cms/content/download/gc-commov.wmv

In 1st person view and if we have scopes like the ones in the video <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>we'll be able to see trough scopes without pressing the "V" key</span>.

This feature will be so good for our Close quarters battle (CQB) or close quarters combat (CQC).

Meaning that if this feature works like i saw and expect we will not need to use the "V" key to aim in close combats!

now lets just wait and see how BIS is going to implement this feature in "V" view.

How this feature could be improve even more?

I see nothing...I'll quote myself from another thread.

Quote[/b] ]

I highly doubt this.

It looks just like an envmap to me. That's all. So it reflects the general color of the area, but nothing more.

Unless maybe I misunderstand what you are saying?

i say that we can see color changing.. but the distance is very close.. im sure we will be able to adjust scope distance and focus image!

there for we will see things trough the scope as we can see colors changing easy while moving the weapon arround.

hope i was cleared now.. huh.gif i know what i saw/see.

you mean like these ones?

dscn2992.jpgdscn2993.jpg

i believe and have fate it will be like this because from what i see

scopeview.jpgscope.jpg

It might be a reflection. It was pointed downward and I saw sky. Isn't that one of the new features? reflections?

either way... mountain != mole hill

I don't seem to be able to find that in the video, care to point out what time it is at in the video?

An env map probably couldn't make for a good scope view - it is merely a simulated, low-resolution reflection technique.

EDIT: To explain what I mean, look at this half life 2 screenshot.

<span style='color:red'>WARNING:</span> Acquired through google search. This picture is totally random.

http://img219.exs.cx/img219/2318/capture0723ar.jpg

Look at the scope on the crossbow and how it reflects the room. I think arma is using the same technique.

This is not to say however that all because the first person view scope reflects the area in arma doesn't mean it could have RO-style scopes. It would just be pointlessly resource-draining to have it in first person view like that.

That movie tells me nothing else than that bohemia still hasn't really fixed the audio loop issue, atlesat not up to that build...  confused_o.gif

It might be one of those unfixable problems, who knows?

I don't seem to be able to find that in the video, care to point out what time it is at in the video?

this video -> http://www.armedassaults.de/cms/content/download/gc-commov.wmv

at 744 secounds (12mins and 34 sec)

edit: we can also notice at near start..

It's only a very basic reflection that takes the average light and color and renders it across the lens.

It's only a very basic reflection that takes the avaerge light and color and renders it across the lens.

is it? what if what we gets is a distorced image, ie, what if the focus of the scope is pointed far, we would get a color miss as we see cause hes pointing close distance..

im not saying that we will be able to see all enviroment and soldiers from there, but if this feature works there is a huge change and there will be very good mods after arma's release about this subject

if this feature works as i expect and think we might get this technology after release:

pic 1

pic 2

EDIT:

Would be nice we were able to have there scope pics

http://bravocompany.home.sapo.pt/posts/scopeview.jpg

http://captaindan.org/photos/range/windows/scope.jpg

i would like to add this pic to inspire the criators..?

would also be nice to have these images not from pressing "V" key but geting face closer.

If we press "V" would be nicer to have bigger image.

scopeview.jpg

That would require lots of processing power, and the lens would have to become some sort of display where you window what the scope sees...

You mean something like Red Orchestra OstFront modeled Scope ?

ROOscopeSmall.jpg

ROOscopeBig.jpg

That's how it should look. In OFP the scope and your peripheral vision is zoomed, not realistic.

You mean something like Red Orchestra OstFront modeled Scope ?

http://3web.dkm.cz/myie2cz/test/ROOscopeSmall.jpg

http://3web.dkm.cz/myie2cz/test/ROOscopeBig.jpg

yes something like that.

Im sure players will need those kinda view modes for close combats since there are big citys and BIS always talk about guerrilla warfare and close/far combat.

we will need those kinda visions.

Could it be possible to model "emergency sights" like in SA-80's SUSAT have. On top of the opticsight is ironsight which is used in close range firefights. Many sights have this option in real world.

Those red orchestra shots were accomplished with a render-to-texture effect on the poligons of the lens of the rifle. This requires the scene to be rendered twice (at least). It is quite possible, but I would not fault BIS for choosing not to. This game is about gigantic, complex engagements. It would really suck to have all kinds of video lag everytime you brought the sniper rifle to bear.

plaintiff1 : you're right, this method needs a render-to-texture

but you're not right: this not requires double rendering of scene. There is something like occlusion culling and BIS had it implemented in OFP. It eliminates polygons (geometry) which is behind visible objects, like soldiers behind a house or anything behind a smoke (not a good example in OFP smile_o.gif ).

Then if you are rendering your scope view to texture and map it on fron of scope, whole geometry of weapon is eliminating much more geometry than you're rendering to texture.

well, that's optimistic view, but I'm pretty sure that can be done real nice.

So you're saying that the graphics engine doesn't render the bodies of soldiers behind a tank? I'm not quite sure I believe that. It most certainly does render the soldier's heads behind their helmets. You can see this when there is a zbuffer error.

ok, the perfect occlusion culling is a myth, impossible to implement, but most of OCC implementations is good enough to cut some of invisible geometry. In OFP you can see it, just use any program which gives you wireframe view and see how objects dissapear behind a house ...

OCC is real nasty to implement, the easiest solution is to use big, boxy objects like houses, walls etc. Smaller objects can be harder to implement. The trick is to use a simple geometry mask translated into orthogonal view and occlude with it.

more about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_surface_determination

As a friend of mine points out, the amount of clipping that seems to happen in ofp suggests that there is quite limited object culling in ofp. Quite limited, indeed.

edit: He goes on to say that that kind of culling is more effective for games that have compiled levels (quake, unreal tournament etc) for culling level geometry.

I want a scope on my rifle or the choice to have one,rather than downloading modded weapons.  smile_o.gif