Sign in to follow this  
denoir

Best looking game

I'm hoping to get a few suggestions on the best looking games on the market today. I've just bought a new PC and it would be interesting to see what today's games have to offer at max settings.

I haven't been gaming for a while now, but I've played two games - Hitman Blood Money (great game, but I've played it a few too many times) and F.E.A.R (good looking but terribly boring levels).

Now the games don't have to be good per se, just look good as I'm at this point more interested in taking the system for a drive rather than comitting to serious gaming.

The system has a Core 2 Extreme X6800 CPU, 7900GTX and 4 GB of RAM, so it should be able to put up a fight.

Guest Ti0n3r

Doom 3. I know, it's not new. But it looks good.

Also, it's one of the best PC games ever (afaik)

Prey has nice gfx and somewhat different gameplay.

Flight Simulator X looks pretty killer too, also Ghost Recon:Advanced Warfighter and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion are very demanding.

Thanks, that Ghost Recon thingie sounds interesting. From the reviews I quickly browsed through it seems that it has absurd system requirements, so it will be a good test smile_o.gif

Dont bother with GRAW, Ubisoft doesnt deserve any money for throwing an unfinished piece of crap out the door for the PC when they took great care about the xbox360 version icon_rolleyes.gif .

Doom3 is a little dated already, the FX dont compensate the low polycounts and small environments. I dont know if COJ (call of juarez) is out already but the demo was very demanding (in full settings and SM3.0, it can scale down nicely).

The new Hitman game was well done and very well optimised, some flaws here and there but i liked it almost as much as i liked Hitman2 wink_o.gif .

OFP:R at 5000m view distance and very high terrian detail!!

It will destroy any computer!!! rofl.gif

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion I'd say as well. Even though it runs reasonable well on my 'old' machine (Athlon 3500+, 1GB, GF6600GT) at medium settings.

You can always take Americas Army for a ride, though it currently still based on UT2 engine, iirc - also good to test you download speed and for free anyway  wink_o.gif

Prey,Fear,Quake IV,CoD2,BiA:EiB,Condemned,HL2:E1..and u can try SC:Chaos Theory at max settings or Silent Hunter III+latest addons......    wink_o.gif

@denoir: as i can see your temporary Celeron 2,53 Ghz is replaced  with X6800  smile_o.gif

But didnt u want to buy E6700?

....oh yes and E6700 is twice cheaper then X6800 and the best thing is u can overclock it far beyond the X6800 stock performance    wink_o.gif

But your new rig is killing machine 4 sure    smile_o.gif

Sry for OT

OFP:R at 5000m view distance and very high terrian detail!!

It will destroy any computer!!!  rofl.gif

That's a great idea, unfortunately I can'¨t seem to find my OFP CD:s sad_o.gif

@denoir: as i can see your temporary Celeron 2,53 Ghz is replaced  with X6800  smile_o.gif

But didnt u want to buy E6700?

....oh yes and E6700 is twice cheaper then X6800 and the best thing is u can overclock it far beyond the X6800 stock performance    wink_o.gif

Yeah, but the E6700 was completely sold out everywhere, so I ended up buying the X6800. See last post on page:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;st=240

Anyway, I bought Ghost Recon AW today and while I haven't had time to play it much, I am partially impressed by what I've seen. The physics are just amazing and the graphics are good as well (impressive view distance in some city views).

Performance-wise, it is a resource hog. With everything maxed out at 1600x1200 I get an average of ~80 FPS and a measured minimum of 58 fps. In F.E.A.R for instance, also maxed out, the fps (both min and average) were almost twice that.

Anyway, I bought Ghost Recon AW today and while I haven't had time to play it much, I am partially impressed by what I've seen. The physics are just amazing and the graphics are good as well (impressive view distance in some city views).

Performance-wise, it is a resource hog. With everything maxed out at 1600x1200 I get an average of ~80 FPS and a measured minimum of 58 fps. In F.E.A.R for instance, also maxed out, the fps (both min and average) were almost twice that.

Definatley a resource hog, I get around 45 FPS with my current config. Also, I suggest patching the game to the latest patch if you haven't done so already, fixes some annoying bugs.

The Elder Scrolls - Oblivion, which is probably well known.

And the space sim X3 smile_o.gif

Maybe you like shadow´s HUD mod too: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;st=135

do you have any paticular games you like? or do you like a little bit of everything?

what i'd reconmend thats currently out:

Elder Scrolls IV

even if you don't like RPGs this is a game still worth a try at least

Prey

same w/ Elder Scrolls still worth a try

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay - Developer's Cut

stay away from Doom 3 if you looking for a FPS this game is one of the few games thats based off of a movie that doesn't totaly suck. its a old game but still has some nice graphics that are just as good as Doom 3's. the fire fights are fun and but you'll find the melee system they got in this game to be the best on any FPS

Games or Expansions to look out for that haven't been released yet.

Dawn of War Dark Crusade expansion for War Hammer 40K

War Hammer Mark of Chaos

this isn't your typical base building stradegy, this game focuses strickly on the battle's kinda like what Total War Series did. Theres some pretty cool trailers floating around on the web

Neverwinter Nights 2

If you like the first NWN than definitly put money aside for this game.

instead of buying games for the sake of testing your rig, why not download a benchmark utility that will run your machine to oblivion for you, and tell you how good it is... i did that with my machine when i first bought it... really need to reinstall to make the most of it again icon_rolleyes.gif

Starcraft is the best looking game I think.

crazy_o.gif , you really think so? confused_o.gif , i think games like oblivion look much better than that!

Armed Assault is the only game worth buying new computer parts for inlove.gif .

Ok..maybe not the only one but perhaps the true worthy, the new significant virtual experience, the revolution that will contribute to our evolution, the end of the world as we know it!!

goodnight.gif .

The system has a Core 2 Extreme X6800 CPU, 7900GTX and 4 GB of RAM, so it should be able to put up a fight.

I envy you.

Starcraft is the best looking game I think.

crazy_o.gif , you really think so? confused_o.gif , i think games like oblivion look much better than that!

Of course I think it has the best graphics, ever since 1995 Starcraft has had the best graphics ever. I always wish that OFP's graphics were as good as Starcrafts. When I saw crysis I thought, "That stuff sucks compared to Starcraft, how could they make so crappy graphics." I compare every new game's graphics to Starcraft now. Nothing has replaced Starcrafts graphics yet.