Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Flags of Our Fathers

Trailer (August 17) - http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/iwojima-movies/trailer/large.html

Flags of Our Fathers - out October 29

Follows the stories of the six brave men from that famous photograph taken atop Mt. Surabachi.

Japanese Version - out December 9

Story as seen from the Japanese side...

---------------------------------------------

This is going to be a great movie.. it was directed by Clint Eastwood and Steven Spielberg......

From what I'm hearing it could almost double as a documentary...

Anyone read the book? I'm reading it right now...

I'm looking forward to this one, I just hope they don't make it too "hollywood" if you know what I mean.

I haven't read Flags of Our Fathers, but I do have "The Battle for Iwo Jima" by Derrick Wright. I'm interested to see how the landings and the congestion on the landing zones will look in the movie .

Hi, I know a person who drove one of the LVT's and he said that the directors had boats and other LVT's occasionally running into eachother on purpose to simulate the confusion during the beach landing.

I'm looking very much forward to this movie.

By the way, did you guys know that the island of Iwo Jima stinked like hell? It's because of sulphur deposits. I don't know if it still does, though.

I like this movie because it shows the japanese point of view also. I'm going to see it.

I'm all for it if it is done correctly and from the trailer it looks top notch.

I hope it also is historically accurate focusing on the original Marines who placed the flag atop the hill along with those Marines and Corpsmen who placed the flag in it's dipiction(sp?) in all of the famous photos.

Quote[/b] ]The famous picture taken by Rosenthal actually captured the second flag-raising event of the day. A U.S. flag was first raised atop Suribachi soon after it was captured early in the morning of February 23, 1945. Captain Dave E. Severance, the commander of Easy Company (2nd Battalion, 28th Regiment, U.S. 5th Marine Division), ordered Lieutenant Harold G. Schrier to take a patrol to raise an American flag at the summit to signal to others that it had fallen. After a fire-fight, a 54-by-28 inch (137-by-71 cm) flag was raised, and photographed by Staff Sergeant Louis R. Lowery, a photographer with Leatherneck magazine. However, the first flag raised by the Marines was too small to be seen easily from the nearby landing beaches.

[im]http://www.iwojima.com/raising/lflagi.gif[/img]

sorry to nitpick, I have a Marine in the family who pounds the facts in smile_o.gif

Hi, the book goes into detail about the families and the histories of each of the flag raisers and details leading up to the invasion and eventual flag raising, so I could only assume that the movie will too.

seems like just another cheezy unhistoric 'american soldiers are real heroes' war movie  huh.gif , maybe, and hopefully, ill be proved wrong.

seems like just another cheezy unhistoric 'american soldiers are real heroes' war movie huh.gif , maybe, and hopefully, ill be proved wrong.

trolling I see..

Ironic I read this just after dropping my brother off at the airport for his second tour/MEU to Iraq.

seems like just another cheezy unhistoric 'american soldiers are real heroes' war movie huh.gif , maybe, and hopefully, ill be proved wrong.

See my post. ^

seems like just another cheezy unhistoric 'american soldiers are real heroes' war movie  huh.gif , maybe, and hopefully, ill be proved wrong.

See my post. ^

well we were soldiers 'tried' to deal with the north vietnamise view , but the viewer was left with a distinct image that vietnamise soldiers were scum bags.  Hollywood makes money out of making those sort of cheezy movies.  like BHD, in which the pakistani element was completly left out and they themsleves were made to look like scumbags when they wouldnt let the americans board the personel carriers.

Quote[/b] ]Ironic I read this just after dropping my brother off at the airport for his second tour/MEU to Iraq.

im sorry whats ironic?  dont pretend your the only person here that has friends/family serving in afganistan/iraq.  I do but i dont go around using it as a argumant or to justify a  point of view.

im sorry whats ironic? dont pretend your the only person here that has friends/family serving in afganistan/iraq. I do but i dont go around using it as a argumant or to justify a point of view.

It was ironic because he is in the Marines. I came straight home, plopped into the chair and that was the first post I read.

I never tried to use it to justify a view, only as a example that maybe you shouldn't bash on anyone in the armed forces with your "cheezy unhistoric 'american soldiers are real heroes' war movie" comment. I took it as a cheap shot towards those Marines that served and the movie is based on.

im sorry whats ironic?  dont pretend your the only person here that has friends/family serving in afganistan/iraq.  I do but i dont go around using it as a argumant or to justify a  point of view.

It was ironic because he is in the Marines. I came straight home, plopped into the chair and that was the first post I read.

I never tried to use it to justify a view, only as a example that maybe you shouldn't bash on anyone in the armed forces with your "cheezy unhistoric 'american soldiers are real heroes' war movie" comment. I took it as a cheap shot towards those Marines that served and the movie is based on.

i dont think it is at all.  im not critising there role at all.  But surly it would be farer to show what it was really like there than to show a cheese fest where the americans kill everything in sight without taking a casulty.  I think most veterens would agree with me.  Ask a vietnam veterans view on vietnam movies, and he would say movies like Platoon and Apocoplipse now are better than Rambo as it shows what it was like to be there.  but im really not bashing american soldiers, im bashing hollywood  wink_o.gif  , please try to understand that, in a way im on your side, i want to see a true portrayel of what brave veterins went through.

i dont think it is at all. im not critising there role at all. But surly it would be farer to show what it was really like there than to show a cheese fest where the americans kill everything in sight without taking a casulty. I think most veterens would agree with me. Ask a vietnam veterans view on vietnam movies, and he would say movies like Platoon and Apocoplipse now are better than Rambo as it shows what it was like to be there. but im really not bashing american soldiers, im bashing hollywood wink_o.gif , please try to understand that, in a way im on your side, i want to see a true portrayel of what brave veterins went through.

Roger roger biggrin_o.gif

Sorry to have misinterpreted your post. And I would agree with you that I prefer accurate protrayals in the movies.

Great trailer, just one thing bothers me.

I know that not every Japanese gun on Suribachi opened up as the marines landed (they opened up as soon as the beaches became congested), but I'm almost certain the landings were opposed from the get go (with the marines pinned on the first few sand walls until holes were cut for the tanks). I'll have to refer to my books again.

I've been reading the book and I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and I cannot begin to say how well written and researched this book is.... particularly liked this passage:

Quote[/b] ]My father did not want to be called a hero. In that misunderstood and corrupted woord, I think, lay the final reason for John Bradley's silence. Today the word hero has been diminished, confused with celebrity. Celebrities seek fame. They take actions to get attention. But heroes are heroes because they have risked something to help others

And I see this played out at school all the time, in every "who's your hero" essay I've ever done.

I highly recommend the book...