Sign in to follow this  
franze

F/A-18E Super Hornet & More

Since the last edit for the progress was dated around august I would like to ask how much is the current model progress and when do you forsee a release date for this awesome model ?

Since the last edit for the progress was dated around august I would like to ask how much is the current model progress and when do you forsee a release date for this awesome model ?

See the bottom of page 3 in this thread.

Hey guys, small update - no time to type, so here's a screen of the GUI arming system.

f18_guiarming2.jpg

YESSS!!! OH GOD YEAAH!! biggrin_o.gif

Finally a graphical loading interface!

Another small update:

Getting closer and closer to having the basic F/A-18E/F done. I changed the F/A-18E skin to represent the VFA-14 "Tophatters" CAG bird, so both the E and the F will go hand in hand if you want to use Hawk's Nimitz.

GUI loading system is still being optimized, but it's getting there. The core files for the loading will be within the addon itself, but you'll have to include or graft together the description.ext file to take advantage of it. If you don't want the trouble, the original - albeit limited - action menu loading system is still available.

F/A-18F still needs WSO implementation, but I should be getting to that soon.

I think I should give a fair warning about the Super Hornet: It is a very complex addon, and I give no guarentees on performance. I've been pushing as hard as I can on the limits of FP's engine, but there will no doubt be some performance issues in certain instances. Nonetheless, if you're into fixed wing aircraft in FP, the Super Hornet should keep you reasonably occupied.

Hope to follow later with some screens of F/A-18E's VFA-14 skin.

As promised earlier, some screenshots:

missionready_f18.jpg

fivewet_f18.jpg

carpetbombing_f18.jpg

checksix_mig.jpg

And what you'll see when using the GUI loadout menu, here.

When Hellfire told me about the arming menu I was curious as to how it would be done,now that I see it I'm baffled,wondering how did you do it...regardless,two thumbs and two big toes up man!

It really is terrific,I just hope things go well with it in MP.

Will the E/A-18G feature in the release? smile_o.gif just wondering, would be nice to see, though im not sure a electronic warfare bird would be really useful in-game smile_o.gif

E/A-18G will not be part of the initial release, although maybe in a future release.

It would be possible to make electronic jamming useful, but that's beyond the scope (initially) of this addon.

Franze, can drop a word about the AI? My biggest problem with the last F/A-18 Hornet in OFP, (2003 Release,don't remember the Authors) was that it was crushing repeatedly into the ground, while making a bombing/strafing run.

Thanks

They don't do that, near as I can tell, but they're bad about which weapons to use on ground targets. They like to sling AAMs at ground units and ignore air units. But other than that... The AI doesn't seem to have much issue using the aircraft.

The only other F/A-18 released (to my knowledge) was a F/A-18C by Hudson and Pennywise.

There is also an F/A-18C by FDF mod

Wasn't that one also based upon the one done by Hudson & Pennywise?

I see you haven't tried it out because you'd definately notice the difference.

The F-18C was entirely modeled and coded by the FDF team. It doesn't handle as good as Hudson&Pennywise:s though.

i hope this one brings all the current tech, to ofp- hudson and pennywise didnt have after burners( the engine was way to fast for ofp, you fly at like 800kmh) i dont know, i just hope it has all the feature as ikar's f-14's. so far this looks like the best one for ofp yet.

@Wonder

Will have to try FDF's F-18C then.

@Wenker

It has afterburning, dynamic arming, missile warning, systems damage, working cockpits... There's more, but that's the basics.

Some information that you probably know anyway: ACES comes with a few map textures for the cockpit.

Some information that you probably know anyway: ACES comes with a few map textures for the cockpit.

Aff, but I've chosen to only have some basic maps and then one position for a custom, user defined map. 64x64 might be a pain in the butt, but the tradeoff is worth it.