Sign in to follow this  
franze

F/A-18E Super Hornet & More

In light of some real life events coming up, I thought I'd bite the bullet and let some information out on the comings and goings of my projects.

Nodunit remains at work with AH-64A/D upgrades - he's getting it prepared for ArmA to the best of his abilities; meanwhile, I've been doing what I can on the scripting and modeling front to attempt another release for FP in time. OH-58D will only make use of a small amount of these changes (most of the improvements were transplants from the OH-58.)

HIMARS, MLRS, and UH-60 are otherwise on hold at this time, and it's unlikely they'll be done before ArmA. Their lack of priority is also hinged on the fact that their roles have already been filled (which goes double for the UH-60.)

The active projects include: AH-64A/D 1.4, OH-58D 1.1, F/A-18E, and OPFOR-BLUFOR adversarial vehicle pack.

Not much to be said about OH-58 or AH-64 at this point; OPFOR-BLUFOR, as described, is a simple set of vehicles with average performance characteristics, but limited detail models and textures for enhanced performance as targets or friendly AI vehicles.

F/A-18E has been the most active result of my effort over the past 3 weeks - primarily in weapon systems and textures. It currently stands at about 80% complete, with the last work to be done primarily on the cockpit and a few external pieces, plus polishing and bug hunting.

F/A-18E was a big project for me, primarily because it's the first project that I've put a great deal of effort into texturing - most of it by myself. The result is an average fighter in appearance, with strong offensive capabilities. I won't go into that sales pitch right now (one of the screenshots might, if you look hard enough! ) because of the current status.

Now, the bad news is that I won't have as much time to work on addons as I have been. A week from now, I'm starting some classes and they'll last over the next four months; this doesn't mean I won't get any work done with our projects, only that some things will be stalled - as noted with HIMARS, MLRS and UH-60.

So, here's a few screenshots of the F/A-18E:

sh_empty.jpg

sh_load1.jpg

sh_gearup.jpg

Loadout 2

Loadout 3

Loadout 4

Loadout 5

On The Runway

Waiting

Carrier

Weapons

looks good

just add some more shadowing and highlite

you got some pimp 3d prog like maya?

if so you could bake the shadows directly onto the textures

usually looks good.

also

if youre making a navy version of the rhino be sure you make all markings ins dark navy grey.

its not common anymore that they use colored markings and squad signs (cept the squad leader maybe)

@Nephilim

No, the best I can muster up is Milkshape 3D, so any additional texturing will be done by hand. I see what you're saying, and I think I can get a pretty good result with dodge and burn.

Also, this is Super Hornet; the Marines don't use the Super Hornet - thus far it's been a Navy only bird. They generally retain a light grey color from the photos I've seen.

In this instance, the texture depicts VFA-22's CAG, or "boss bird" which is the reason the tail art is in color.

@Sgt_Eversmann

I've got some weathering, but I didn't want to get too excessive. A lot of these aircraft are still pretty new, so I opted for a slightly weathered - but not too rough - appearance.

Ditto on the shadows and highlights - I'll try a few experiments with that.

Will you use ACES? It would be nice if some othe addonmaker than the Mapfactguys would use it.

Yes, there's an Aces compatible variant already availible. It only needs some refining of code and some semi-fixed weapons brought in.

it might be that you have the wings with colored codes

but ALL planes cept the squad leader have grey tones and no colored markings. Got something to do with standarts.

anyways if you want to i can give those shadows a spin if you want to just pm me if you like

cheers

keep it up

it might be that you have the wings with colored codes

but ALL planes cept the squad leader have grey tones and no colored markings. Got something to do with standarts.

Nephilim, as I said the texture currently depicts the VFA-22 CAG. The CAG refers to the senior officer responsible for aerial operations aboard a carrier, and the CAG's aircraft is often painted up in color markings, as opposed to the rest of the squadron.

Examples:

e35-20-05.jpg

c22-653-9.jpg

(from Boeing website)

That's not to say I won't have any regular grey versions, only that's the reason why it's got color tail art at this time. Color is more fun, y'know?

Ditto on the shadows, maybe we can work something out.

@tankieboy

Yes, WAH-64 will recieve the same upgrades as AH-64A/D.

damn you guys, this topic is about F/A-18E mad_o.gif

P.S. looks really cool Franze and damn, how much different loadouts to make, i think twice more than on apache...

Keep it up MAS! thumbs-up.gif

Great news, but what with RAH-66?

RAH-66? What RAH-66?

@Gedis

It's more than twice. Six or seven would be closer.

Quote[/b] ]RAH-66? What RAH-66?

This from your avatar smile_o.gif

About F/A-18E, little bit more work and your plane will be excellent. Great news about ACES notworthy.gif

Oh, that one; it's a side project that is uncertain at this point. Maybe after Super Hornet is finished.

I don't normally post real WIP images like this, but I didn't want to come in empty handed without something to show for it:

Cockpit

Many parts still to be textured and functions to be added, but it's getting there.

Also, the biggest glitch I've had thus far is getting the gun to work right. I've got a strange issue with the gun where it refuses to use the kulomet/kulas point for firing. It always seems to come from the center (zamerny) no matter what I try. It's never been an issue with my other aircraft, so I thought maybe I missed something. Any ideas?

Guest RKSL-Rock
Also, the biggest glitch I've had thus far is getting the gun to work right. I've got a strange issue with the gun where it refuses to use the kulomet/kulas point for firing. It always seems to come from the center (zamerny) no matter what I try. It's never been an issue with my other aircraft, so I thought maybe I missed something. Any ideas?

The only time ive had that happen was when i had 2 points in the Kulomet selection.  On the plane class you dont need anything but the kulomet point as the gun cant swivel as it can in a helo class.

edit - somedays no matter how hard you try, you just cant type.

Like Rock said, there should be only one kulomet point. The gun axis in planes is set along a constant-Y line.

Another thing to check is whether the vertex in the memory LOD is set to 'shining': if it is, set it back to normal.

Looking good, btw.

very impressive cockpit... will all the insrumentation be working or eye candy?

@Sgt_Eversmann & RockofSL

I've checked kulomet several times to make sure theres only one vertex bound to it; I've even tried making a new point and copying kulomet from another model. No budge.

@Footmunch

All the points in memory lod are set to normal so I don't think that's the problem. I'll try changing the setting so all my bases will be covered.

@Messiah

Major instrumentation will be functional - currently active is the HUD, left MFD, right MFD, and the HSD.

Don't forget to include ACES into the weapons used on your Super Hornet.  A lot of the weapon models and the configs for them has already been done.  Using ACES would simplify the process regarding weapon deployment on your addon.

By the way, the Marines in the near future are going to get their STOVL F/A-35's near 2010 and thus will replace their C hornets (F/A-18 C).  USMC not getting fixed wing second hand aircraft from the Navy will be good progressive change for them.