Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Ipod

I have a Sony HD5, which owns. 20gb.

Ok, so sonicstage sucks, but i only use it whilst transferring music, not as my main music library!

I got a 2gb black nano as a christmas present and havent had any problems with it, the only thing that anoys me about it is that its hard to pick 200 or so songs from around 8000 songs. tounge2.gif

I'm looking into getting a 30gb ipod after I get a new camera.

No IPod, I went with a LG mp3/video player, and 8gigs is all i need.

Hi all

I bought myself something cheep and cheerfull that does the job; a Logik LCD 1GB MP3 Player. It cost me just 45 UK Pounds. Sleak, slim and simple to use.

0095229599227945346167010460928355378165.jpg

http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/122701/14216995.html

I spent an extra 18 UK pounds on a pair of comfortable good quality Sony MDRQ66 Over Ear Type headphones.

I do not have any Spyware/Adware from Sony or Apple on my computer.

I did not get ripped off by being fooled into the hype of buying an Ipod.

The the LCD screen wont crack if I breath at it funny or heaven forbid put it in my pocket.

I do not have to use propritary formats to hear my own music.

I can down load from any site that serves up standard MP3 (Is it not odd how so many players call themselves MP3 players but can not in reality Download and Play MP3?)

Best of all I can rip my own tunes from my CD collection and listen to them at any quality.

I can organise my own record collections in to play lists and folders on my PC using standard windows drag and drop same as any other file or folder; easy as pie. I can then just drag and drop them on the MP3 player which plugs in to my USB socket same as memory stck without a loosable extra cable.

The controls are are as simple as it gets [<<] [ > ||] [>>] To Fast Rewind, Play and Pause, Fast Forward

[+] [-] Volume

[M] with [<<] [>>] for menu selection

[] to record on the dictaphone.

And a selector to lock out the menu or turn it on off.

LCD and menu gives EQ and other functions

Choose a folder or Sub folder or choose a track (However you want to organise your albums by mood or Artist and album) Choose a playlist that dips into any folder.

8hrs battery life with bog standard AAA bateries (Wish they had chosen AA my only quible)

300 plus songs or about 24 hours of music or 26 albums; more than enough for any long distance flight.

I can also use it as a dictaphone and as a 1 GB memory stick for transfering any type of file between computers.

Ipod and Sony just goes to show some people rate style over substance.

Kind Regards Walker

Quote[/b] ]Ipod and Sony just goes to show some people rate style over substance.

Uhm no..I find that to be an absurd generalisation.

You`ve just praised an mp3 player which is identical in features with 99% of it`s Chinese counterparts(albeit cheaper) and viertually every mp3 player that came out from the 1998 Rio Karma.

As in viertually every market where there is an overwhelming leader and popular product,there will be persons who buy such a product just because of that with little regard of the features.

Others such as myself simply love music,want enough space to ecompass their entire library without having to choose a ridiculously small amount of tracks recorder in birtrates that make me cringe and can be arsed to gather enough information to use the said product at it`s fullest.

Quote[/b] ]Ipod and Sony just goes to show some people rate style over substance.

for Å26.45 you could have had style and substance and 1gb and sony headphones wink_o.gif.

source

Well I kinda notice many people find memory space around 1 Gb is enough for them. Others say they have trouble with their 30Gb iPods to get all their stuff on it... I think this shows a fundamental difference in the needs of people. If you are happy with 1GB then of course an iPod isn't what you need. For me however 1 Gb is not nearly enough. I have a 20GB ipod and 11 GB are taken by music alone. About 7 GB is misc data I carry on it. ANd I don0t want to miss all that space wink_o.gif

for Å26.45 you could have had style and substance and 1gb and sony headphones wink_o.gif.

source

Hi deanosbeano

Good find but it was not available when I got my MP3 player

The included headphones are crap so add 18 Pounds for a decent pair. As general rule if it goes in your ear it is bad for your hearing as well as being uncomfortable. Over the ears headphones feel no worse than sunglasses to wear.

It requires a seperate USB cable that you break or loose.

No Dictaphone.

It requires Sony SonicStage need I say more.

In Reply to quicKsanD

I have my entire library on CD and ripped it to my PC hard drive years back and have been maintaining it and adding to it ever since. I have copied whole artist catalogues to MP3 CD that I used to play on my CD MP3 Walkman.

Now it is backed up on three removable drives and recently on a small external USB drive. As well as by artist on MP3 CDs at some point I will put it all on DVD RW. I do not want to spend hours converting it the special IPOD and Sony Spyware formats which reduce quality anyway.

If I want the whole catalogue it is on my USB drive with my laptop which I can link to a proper set of speakers. If I am going on a trip and need sounds I just download a selection for the trip to the mp3 player it has more capacity than any trip will last. If I am in the hotel I can link the laptop CD MP3s and USB up to better speakers.

At home the PC output of my 16 track output/input HD recorder can be linked to my home recording studio via a Torque Amp and a pair of nice scorpion speakers, Bose Micro Mixer Desk or my full 16 track desk for EQ and room reverb.

Or as normal just played out of the PCs speaker woofer combo for background sounds.

But in all honnesty I will probably just listen to the CDs on the CD player or I will sing some of my own material and play my guitar.

Kind Regards Walker

got a 2G nano here, very happy with it, dont go anywhere without it. have a beef with apple headphones though, they just love to break for no reason.

I bought an IPOD Nano, and I am very satisfied with it for the most part. I don't really need thousands of songs, I don't listen to that much music so the nano is very suitable. My only gripe is it seems the headphones start to crackle if you play them full blast too much...which is an unfortuantely bad habit of mine biggrin_o.gif

Also, some of my sister's ipods have had batteries die after over-use. I hope that doesn't happen to mine...

Thank Gawd for the ipod...the radio SUCKS!!!!! here in Connecticut. I mean it SUCKS! All "pop" radio is ALL no-talent hip-hop crap with maybe an american idol thrown in here and there. I have never really liked pop music, but at least they could have some of the good popular bands that stand out like Muse, etc.

I like my Nokia 6280, with 2 gig MiniSD card, with drop and drag functionality, and a radio.

I like to keep my gadgets to a minimum. smile_o.gif

I have an Ipod mini Ive had for a year, its easy to use, and does what it says so Im ok with it. The only thing I hate about it is that if you buy off itunes you can only play it on the ipod or in Itunes, This is really really lame crazy_o.gif

There is a way to convert Itunes music into mp3 files but its a pain in the arse envolving Dos work. I ended up doing it to the first and last album I ever bought off Itunes.

I have MuVo by Creative, it has 512MB memory and FM radio... and when you wanna connect player to computer, you don't need cables smile_o.gif Design is poor, anyway I have it mostly in pocket tounge2.gif

I have an Ipod mini Ive had for a year, its easy to use, and does what it says so Im ok with it. The only thing I hate about it is that if you buy off itunes you can only play it on the ipod or in Itunes, This is really really lame crazy_o.gif

There is a way to convert Itunes music into mp3 files but its a pain in the arse envolving Dos work. I ended up doing it to the first and last album I ever bought off Itunes.

I was so pissed off with that. I bought an album off there, but I couldn't play the music off my Ipod on my xbox-360 mad_o.gif It would of only cost me 2 quid more to buy it on a CD.

I bought an IPOD Nano, and I am very satisfied with it for the most part. I don't really need thousands of songs, I don't listen to that much music so the nano is very suitable. My only gripe is it seems the headphones start to crackle if you play them full blast too much...which is an unfortuantely bad habit of mine biggrin_o.gif

That happened to mine and they were proper fooked up. So I bought some Sennheiser ear phones from the apple shop and they are withstanding anything i throw at them :P

That happened to mine and they were proper fooked up. So I bought some Sennheiser ear phones from the apple shop and they are withstanding anything i throw at them :P

Which ones?

To repeat myself, anyone attempted to hack his Ipod?

To answer the original question, I don't want one and I don't need one. Have a Sony CD Walkman that I haven't used in maybe 10 years and out "in the bush", I prefer radios. Also, I'm allergic to all devices which begin with a lower-case "i".

More than happy with my 3 year-old Creative Nomad Jukebox 20Gb. If it broke and wanted a replacement I'd get a Creative Zen, no hessitation.

Remember potential muggers, always go for the kid with the white earphones.

have an Ipod mini... worked great till the year warranty ran out... and suprise suprise the battery fucked up... 40mins life now... great confused_o.gif

would probably buy a new one... once they've fixed the incredibly shit batteries

Quote[/b] ]To repeat myself, anyone attempted to hack his Ipod?

Guilty over here.

Software hacks:

Installed Ipodlinux(3G iPod) and Rockbox(5G Ipod) to get some Game Boy Colour action and some other nifty features.

Hardware hacks:

Not much of a hack but when the 3G ipod first craped on me I cracked it open,removed the failed hard drive and changed with a compatible higher capacity one,also replaced the battery for it was juiced out.

It`s tedious work and I don`t recomand it to no one but it has it`s satisfaction.

Had 2 ipods one mine and one the missus's. Mine went funny after a year (keeps freezing up) thrown to the floor and works again now. Missus ipod sound went after a year. Will never buy one again as they are a rip off. To anyone who wants to buy one, goto ipod forums and check the constant supply of people coming in daily complaining of ipods messing up after a year... It will shock you at how unsupportive apple are. Terrible company pistols.gif

I've got a Shuffle, although as a Progg-rocker I don't use the shuffle option... wink_o.gif

Had 2 ipods one mine and one the missus's.  Mine went funny after a year (keeps freezing up) thrown to the floor and works again now.  Missus ipod sound went after a year.  Will never buy one again as they are a rip off.  To anyone who wants to buy one, goto ipod forums and check the constant supply of people coming in daily complaining of ipods messing up after a year... It will shock you at how unsupportive apple are.  Terrible company  pistols.gif

No, they've got a timer on the warranty-year + 2 hours, and then it goes. So ppl will have to buy a new Ipod, wich makes Apple make more money.

You, on the other hand has found the secret out. Throw them in the floor and the timer is reset tounge2.gif

*Warning! Do not throw your Ipod into the floor. Or, sure, go ahead, but don't blame me when it's in pieces*

I had an Ipod mini for about two years I think, then it got stolen. I quite liked it, except that the shitty battery life was somewhat annoying. At -3 it went flat in just 3-4 hours, until it warmed up, which usually gave me another three hours.

Im planning on buying 'something' that plays music tomorrow, im looking for as much MB/GB as possible, and it needs be able to survive quite alot falls/bouncing/slamming into stuff etc. All my old MP3 players usually died within 3 months because im not really able to be careful with such things... tounge2.gif

(Right now i got a discman that survived everything for +-2 years, the thing is mostly made of aluminium instead of plactic. but its capacity is too small confused_o.gif )

Anyone got some recommendations? smile_o.gif

EDIT: Oh, and im planning to spend about 150€, with a limit of 200€ wink_o.gif

EDIT2: Size doesnt really matter, but not too small or ill lose it. tounge2.gif (But its nice if it fits in my pocket (which fits quiet alot and ive never seen any mp3 player bigger then an envelope)

Ive been looking at this, its supposed to be made out of metal and re reviews say its pretty robust. Anyone wants to stop me because of very bad experiences with this brand? biggrin_o.gif