Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

It happens on several games. Doesn't matter, I'm going to formate my computer. It's been a while since anyway. smile_o.gif

Always a good move biggrin_o.gif Let us know if that fixes it. smile_o.gif

im using a 23in 4/9 multisync flatscreen crt. now, i have been extremely satisfied with it. it was a downgrade from my monivision 34inch 211lbs multimedia crt... yes, 34IN CRT!

i bought this 23in monitor 2 years ago, and LOVE IT. i know its a crt but i have read (at the time i bought it) that crt's are better for graphics them lcd's. note, that was 2 years ago... thing may be different now. either way, im stoked.

im using a nvidia 7950 GT 512 overclocked. i can get 1920 / 1440 resolution on this monitor for surfing etc, on arma im using 1024/768.

BigFart,

The comp config:

<span style='color:olive'>cpu: Intel E6750 Core 2 DUO

ram: 2048 MB DDR2

motherboard: MSI P35 Sound + LAN = (1050€)1400 $

harddrive:320 GB 7200 rpm SATA

grafic: nVidia 8600GTS 512MB

CD/DVD: 18x DVD- burner</span>

Would run ArmA really well. I would go with the eVGA 680i honestly thought. Costs more, but the chipset performance and quality in the board is awesome. Buffalo Firestix sometimes goes on sale for cheap. DDR2-1000 for under $200. Use a 5/4 divider and overclock that C2D and whalla.

I`m using an 32" 16/9 LCD Flatscreen TV since today, in 1360x768 native resolution.

Arma looks and works fantastic in widescrenn mode, without errors. smile_o.gif

I got that TV as an freebee from my Mom, because my old TV died and i needed an new one. notworthy.gif Mom notworthy.gif

sorry if this has been asked but how does ArmA perform on the new Radeon X2000 series cards?

Not sure about arma, but I checked tomshardware.com and they performs about half as good as 8800GTS, but keep in mind, they're half the price.

Wondering though if they outperform the 8800GTS if you buy two of them and go Crossfire?

Of course, that would cost more than an 8800GTX which would be better still. smile_o.gif

i was really wondering not about performance but how it works with arma, after all the problems that people have had with the X19** GPUs and the 8800s.

also, alienware are now selling these with PCs but i never heard of it before its a physics processing unit

http://www.ageia.com/

was wondering if anyone has got one and if its any good.

<s>Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB Cache

Windows Vista

2048MB RAM Memory

256MB NVidia GeForce 8300 GS

Any good?

The only problems I see are Vista and the 256MB 8300.

But I might buy a Superclocked 640MB 8800 just for fun biggrin_o.gif</s>

Just went over my financial situation... (AKA Rich grandparents)

Maybe this will work out just a lil better. whistle.gif

Processor: AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Processor with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology

Operating System: Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium - English

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard

Graphics Processor : 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX

Memory: High Performance 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2GB - 2 x 1024MB

If money isnt an issue and you want to buy instead of build, shop around. Alienware arent known for their great value for money.

I have been shopping around... Theres several limited offers on on most of the shit I chose.

Hopfully I buy it before the offers expire.

Gotta admit... Thats a bit of a beast PC, right?

Beast is perhaps too strong a word. How much are you paying for it? Graphics is top of the range but everything else is average. If I built that myself, it would cost less than €1500 ( ~ 1,000 Pounds Sterling or ~$2,000) Allowing for the fact that brand name PCs always cost more a good price for that machine would be about €2,000 - above that price you would be wanting faster components; Core 2 Quad CPU, maybe 4GB RAM and SLI and so on.

EDIT: Removed pound sign, because when I type it in, its gives me this - £

Yes its 1000 Pounds.

What would be better... That or:

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB Cache

2GB RAM

All that crap (It actualy doesnt mention that mutch else Im kinda wary of it)

19" TFT Monitor (I got a 15")

for 699 Pounds

Then buy a 640MB Superclocked GeForce 8800GTS for 230 Pounds (Damn the Price went up... Anywhere sell 'em cheap?)

The Alienware might be better. If you get a premade PC that doesnt have a high power graphics card, theres a good chance that it wont be able to manage it, you might end up having to upgrade the PSU and the Case. The quad core is better than the Athlon, but the GTX is better than the GTS, and Graphics cards are more important that CPUs for gaming purposes. 1,000 Pounds would be a good price for the Alienware spec.

Righty well I've finally gotten my new computer up and running and its working very well.

However I bought a second hard drive as I was low on space on my other one, installed XP on it as I planned on running it as primary. So I do all that and then I've plugged in my old hard drive so I can copy some files over however some files seem to be non accesible.

I get an error saying that the path the file is in is not accessible and it doesn't copy the files. Not all folders are like this but many of them are. Or atleast the most important folders such as my Documents and settings and my main files.

Is there a reason this may be happening? I've done this before and never had any problems.

Only thing different this time is that my new HDD is a SATA and my previous is an IDE?

Also my new HDD is also set as default as drive H and not C. However after recently plugging in my old HDD that has the letter C... I can change the letter via disk management of the old HDD but not my new one? Is there a reason why this may be happening?

Cheers.

The C: drive should be whichever disk has the Windows installation that you are currently using, are you sure youre booting from your new disk? There should be a setting in your BIOS that tells your motherboard to boot from SATA before IDE, make sure that is enabled.

The other problem sounds odd, the only thing I can think of is that if your My Documents folder is protected, it wont let other users access it. Try booting into your old Windows installation and copying to your new disk from there.

Thanks the info shall take a look in the BIOS in a bit.

Well I didn't have any protections on my other computer apart from a password to log on but that shouldnt be it. I'll give booting up the old HDD and copying files that way when I take a look in the BIOS.

Thanks for the help shall report back if it works.

If I remember correctly, putting a password on an XP account also protects your Documents and Settings folder. It will give an error to the effect of "Access denied" or "You lack the permission to access this folder" If youre in Vista and logged on as an Admin you can over-write these permissions, Im not sure if you can do it in XP though. Good luck with it anyway.

If I remember correctly, putting a password on an XP account also protects your Documents and Settings folder. It will give an error to the effect of "Access denied" or "You lack the permission to access this folder" If youre in Vista and logged on as an Admin you can over-write these permissions, Im not sure if you can do it in XP though. Good luck with it anyway.

Same in XP.

Also make sure you have set the small thingies on the pins where the connector is, sometimes you must change the setting to use the HDD as master/slave.

No, read 456820's original message. One disk is on IDE and the other on SATA. Thats only a problem if youre using more than one IDE disk. SATA disks do away with it because each port only connects to one disk. This is more than likely the motherboard defaulting to booting from IDE instead of SATA, like most motherboards do.

Well thanks for the help but so far no luck. I have tried millions of BIOS and cable combinations but that hasnt helped so far. So I hooked up my HDD into my old computer to remove the password but when connecting back into my new one it still didnt work.

So sometime today I plan on re-hooking up the old HDD into my old computer and then copy my files over the network onto my new computer and then reformat the old HDD and connect it back to my new computer to use it for more space.

Oh also with my Geforce 8800 GTS 640mb gfx card it says I will be able to support resolutions at over 2560x1600 but im still limited to the 1280x1024 like i was with my Geforce 6600 GT. Any clue why?

Edit - woops forgot to edit my previous post

How big your monitor? The monitor is the limiting factor. General rule of thumb - 15" supports up to 1024x768, 17" & 19" support up to 1280x1024, 20" & 22" usually support either 1680x1050 or 1600x1200