Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Well sorted 2/3 of my problems linked my other hard drive over the network and copied my files that way and my monitor is 17" I think so that would explain the resoltuion. But my primary hard drive is still drive H but thats no real problem and I can live with it.

So thanks alot for the help.

Is it still H when no other hard disk is connected? Didnt think that was possible. And you cant change it via the Drive Settings in Admin tools? Thats wierd.

Yeah even with all other hard drives not connected it reamins H and Ive tried changing it, it says Windows can not change the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume.

I suppose I could boot my other hard drive as primary and then change it that way but I really cant be bothered for the past few days all I have seen in the inside of computer whilst Ive been building it biggrin_o.gif

Hi All again, Should I change my Processor and the mother board, I have BIG lag when go inside the city or grass in ArmA, and have small lagging in other Games.

My Processor and the mother board atm:

1- Processor Pentium® 4 CBU 3.40GHz.

2- Mother board Intel inside.

with this one:

1- Processor Intel Core 2 Duo.

2- Mother board GIGABYTE 945.

Please guys can you Give me more idea what should i pay for my mother board and Processor, I don't wanna pay very VERY VERY expensive.

Thanks All

Your CPU should be good, I dont think there is much need to replace it. How much RAM do you have? And what graphics card do you have?

Your CPU should be good, I dont think there is much need to replace it. How much RAM do you have? And what graphics card do you have?

Well:

1- 2GB DDR2 RAM.

2- Geforce 8600GT 512MB PCI EXPRESS.

Thoughts?

Will cost £746.01 to purchase.

System Configuration

Motherboard

Asus M2N4-SLI AM2, SLI, SATA2, GBLan, 5.1Snd, ATX

Processor

AMD Athlon64 6000 Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor - Retail

Memory Slot 1

OCZ Platinum XTC v2 2048MB PC2-6400 DDR2 Dual Kit

Graphics Slot SLi 1

640MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS PCI-Express VGA Card

Modem

PCI Full Rate ADSL MODEM CARD £16.95

TV Card

Optical Device 1

NEC AD5170A-0B 18X+/-DVD-R Dual Layer Dvd Writer- Black

SATA Device 1

250Gb Maxtor DiamondMax21 SATAI/II 8Mb Cache Hard Drive

Floppy Drive Bay 1

3.5 1.44Mb Floppy Disk Drive -Black Facia-

Floppy Drive Bay 2

33-in-1 USB2.0 Card Reader 3.5 Internal/External -Black

Case

CoolerMaster Centurion 532 Black ATX Case, No PSU

Power Supply Unit

CoolerMaster Silent Real Power 550W ATX PSU w/ Power Disp.

Operating System

MicroSoft Windows XP Home Edition -OEM-

Regards HH smile_o.gif

Ditch the internal DSL modem, its better to use an external one that your ISP provided. Even though the Athlon 64 6000+ is a decent CPU, it would be better to get a Core 2 Duo system of some sort, how much would it cost to get an E6750 CPU and an appropriate motherboard? Otherwise its a good machine for the price?

CH_123. Managed to get a quad core system for the same price as the AMD system. Don't ask me how wink_o.gif.

Intel Core2 Quad 6600 instead of the AMD dual.

Other stuff mostly the same. got rid of the modem etc and floppy drive. All told it will cost me 736.90 GBP.

>><a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Q6600-CORE-2-QUAD-CORE-19-LCD-2GB-ATI-512MB-HD-1080p_W0QQitemZ200146384266QQihZ010QQcatego

ryZ179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">THIS</a><< bundle

(Q6600,19"TFT,2gb,250gb,Lightscribe,ATi x1250 512)

went for GBP 480 earlier this week.

I kid you not.

I seriously recommend looking around on eBay. I got my decent system from there in February, and within 3 days it was all up and running. Total satisfaction.

Could be. Never heard of it before. System should be here in a week or two ordering it today AFAIK.

>><a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Q6600-CORE-2-QUAD-CORE-19-LCD-2GB-ATI-512MB-HD-1080p_W0QQitemZ200146384266QQihZ010QQcatego

ryZ179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">THIS</a><< bundle

(Q6600,19"TFT,2gb,250gb,Lightscribe,ATi x1250 512)

went for GBP 480 earlier this week.

I kid you not.

I seriously recommend looking around on eBay. I got my decent system from there in February, and within 3 days it was all up and running. Total satisfaction.

No wonder its so cheap - it has integrated graphics confused_o.gif

So what?

I have a decent graphics card (7800GTX 512) which I'd replace that one with

Hey lads.

ArmA does not run too great on this old comp. of mine. Last year I upgraded it to 1GB RAM from 256MB and to a Nvidia 7600 512MB graphics card from a Radeon 9200. So I could run ArmA.

I have done a little tweaking on the comp with msconfig and hard drive defrag.

So I was thinking about upgrading my processor. Currently it is a Intel Pentium 4 2.66 GHz one. What kind of a performance boost would I expect to get if I get it upgraded? Any suggestions to which I should upgrade to? I'm just looking for a small upgrade, since my processor is rather old and my system is AGP I'm guessing it would not be a lot to upgrade to?

If ArmA runs, I think you should wait for ArmA2 to come.

That's what I'll be doing.

Otherwise, Core 2 Duo all the way, but that would need to upgrade motherboard, and most modern MBs doesn't support newer CPUs and still have AGP.

So a fine balance is hard to find.

Otherwise, save the money, buy a comp for ArmA2 when it arrives and you can give the other comp to someone in the family? tounge2.gif

Hey lads.

ArmA does not run too great on this old comp. of mine. Last year I upgraded it to 1GB RAM from 256MB and to a Nvidia 7600 512MB graphics card from a Radeon 9200. So I could run ArmA.

I have done a little tweaking on the comp with msconfig and hard drive defrag.

So I was thinking about upgrading my processor. Currently it is a Intel Pentium 4 2.66 GHz one. What kind of a performance boost would I expect to get if I get it upgraded? Any suggestions to which I should upgrade to? I'm just looking for a small upgrade, since my processor is rather old and my system is AGP I'm guessing it would not be a lot to upgrade to?

The 7600 (either in GS or GT forms) is kinda outdated, as is your old Socket 478 motherboard/processor. I'd recommend an upgrade, but you'd just end throwing the new parts you god. I'd wait a while and get a complete upgrade.

Question for any of you 7900 GS overclockers:

As of the last 6 months all of the latest drivers have severely limited my ability to OC using coolbits. I used to get a stable 750/1.3 OC with older drivers now I can barely get it above default speeds and the options to OC don't even allow you to attempt at those speeds?

Anyone know why?

No idea, but try RivaTuner at Guru3D, and see if you can't reproduce the problem.

Ok. Well I got a better OC with RivaTuner :607 Core Clock;781 Memory Clock compared to 550;640 with Coolbits.

Definitely better but I'm still baffled why I can't get my previous OC - guess my 7900 just ain't a stud no more  sad_o.gif

would I be aible to play Arma with this PC:

Asus P5K SE P35 + Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2,4GHz

Kingston DDR2 2GB (2*1024MB)

HD: WD S-ATA 2 320GB 16MB 7200U/MIN

DVD- LG 16*/52*

ATI RADEON 2600XT 512MB DDR3

is that possible?