Sign in to follow this  
t80

New materials penetration??

Hi....

if this is true, the use off different materials in AA, it will be possible to simulate real and realistic armor values, like ERA protection on tanks. and how about Arena missile defence?? any one know of this, like it is now in OFP the Shtora missile defence is allready possible to simulate, god example of this is RHS MBT Addon, i know they have Arena on those, but its not 100% realistic, like  it must have Look on target to recognice the incomming missile, in reality it dont. so what i can figure of the new materials is

AA ERA= YES        OFP ERA= NO

AA Shtora= YES     OFP Shtora= YES

AA Arena= huh.gif        OFP Arena= NO

This is just the ability to recognise flying missile that is not locked on Like RPG Launcher, Question is have this changed on AA from OFP

Yes and ofcourse it will be possible to simulate

things like

vest,helmet,buildings in a more realistic way..

smile_o.gif

I dont see the link between material penetration and the detection of incoming missiles? huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]ofpforum Posted on June 13 2006,19:32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont see the link between material penetration and the detection of incoming missiles?

smile_o.gif yes i had a little rush with this post, but i hope you se the link between new materials in the game and ERA,(other protection Vest, helmet) and from there its another link to Arena, the new materials is a big step to realistic protection values, and just imagine what skilled addon makers could do with that, the missile detection( not locked on) was a OFP engine limitation that was impossible to get around in any way, so if that also was fixed, it would open up like a new demension, level, off possiblilities to addon makers. but still i think the new material, is more than half the way to perfection inlove.gif

BTW. sorry for my english

Im with ofpforum, missile detection is not at all linked to possible diffrent material penetration at all, tho I see what your trying to say. But just becuase there might be diffrent material penetration.... is not a sign at ALL that missile detection will be there. Tho it would be cool...

Quote[/b] ]stakex Posted on June 14 2006,03:23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im with ofpforum, missile detection is not at all linked to possible diffrent material penetration at all,

Yeah youre right.. the topic was New materials, like Wood and sutch thing. cant remember where i read it..

Quote[/b] ]tho I see what your trying to say.

thats the most important smile_o.gif

Say that in a city fight, you sneak up on a T-80/70, fire a RPG on the side some brics (ERA) explode some fell off, hurry to re load, to do some real damage you have to hit the same area again, not just 3 shots on the wheel, and the whole tank explodes, that together with kenetic energy will be really interesting. hide behind a wooden wall won´t be so smart(that was the good thing) and who knows about the ""missile detection"", this was a modern time game, 2008 or somthing but probobly with old soviet weapons, so im not sure at all.. and i dont think it could be patched later either (that was the bad thing and nothing to do with the topic, but still kind of armor and protection, even if you cant see and touch it) and its not going to do any difference in the game when it is relised, but a big difference how moddable it will be in the future (one month)

I think that by materials they do mean

err don't how to say that..

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> class Terrain

{

ambient[]={1,1,1,1};

diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};

forcedDiffuse[]={0,0,0,0};

specular[]={0.03,0.03,0.03,0};

specularPower=3;

emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};

};

class SpecularGlass

{

ambient[]={1,1,1,1};

diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};

specular[]={0.8,0.8,0.8,0};

specularPower=5;

emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};

};

class Metal

{

ambient[]={1,1,1,1};

diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};

specular[]={0.2,0.2,0.2,0};

specularPower=5;

emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};

};

that kind of stuff.. ? huh.gif

Am i wrong ? confused_o.gif

I think that by materials they do mean

err don't how to say that..

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> class Terrain

{

ambient[]={1,1,1,1};

diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};

specular[]={0.03,0.03,0.03,0};

specularPower=3;

emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};

};

class SpecularGlass

{

ambient[]={1,1,1,1};

diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};

specular[]={0.8,0.8,0.8,0};

specularPower=5;

emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};

};

class Metal

{

ambient[]={1,1,1,1};

diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};

specular[]={0.2,0.2,0.2,0};

specularPower=5;

emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};

};

that kind of stuff.. ? huh.gif

Am i wrong ? confused_o.gif

http://www.mapfact.net/include.php?path=content/content.php&contentid=523

Quote[/b] ]Materials can be configured (wood, steel, etc).

Apparently its for penetration. I dont know if we will be able to define new 'materials', otherwise you can just mod it in (as long as vehicles support it)

Material penetration also has little to do with the feasibility of personal armor, vests, helmets and the like are a simple matter of hit-boxes and location damage.

mad_o.gif so there is no real changes on the OFP engine?!

i thought it was uppgraded.... confused_o.gif

mad_o.gif  so there is no real changes on the OFP engine?!

i thought it was uppgraded.... confused_o.gif

AFAIK this part of the engine hast been upgraded, but who knows, BIS probably has some supsrises for us wink_o.gif

Well there's supposedly better AI, better collision detection, higher view distance, bump mapping, self shadowing, JIP, ricochet and so on. I'd qualify those improvements as real changes to the engine.

I would really think it would be kick ass with all the above stuff mentioned but one important thing for me is sound! tounge2.gif

good sounds in games can make the experience really happy xmas_o.gif sometimes i got annoyed that the sounds fo bullets hitting buildings or objects was always the same, even if it was a stone object or a wood or metal object the hit sound was always the same. biggrin_o.gif so i hope they can make those areas good too.

Quote[/b] ]ofpforum Posted on June 14 2006,15:55

Quote (t80 @ June 14 2006,15:47)

so there is no real changes on the OFP engine?!

i thought it was uppgraded....

AFAIK this part of the engine hast been upgraded, but who knows, BIS probably has some supsrises for us

Yeah lets hope the surprises are "GOOD" ones

Quote[/b] ]Metal Heart Posted on June 14 2006,15:57

Well there's supposedly better AI, better collision detection, higher view distance, bump mapping, self shadowing, JIP, ricochet and so on. I'd qualify those improvements as real changes to the engine.

probobly yes, but the higher view distance, as i think its just incresed in default. OFP was 900 meters and AA i guess somthing like 1500-2000 meters, still the max view is the same 5000 meters if im not wrong, and the interesting would be to see if AA run smother (on the same comp) on view set on 3500-4000 meters than OFP..

still the max view is the same 5000 meters if im not wrong,

You are wrong. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Suma Posted on June 14 2006,16:27

Quote (t80 @ June 14 2006,16:23)

You are wrong.

inlove.gifinlove.gifinlove.gif

still the max view is the same 5000 meters if im  not wrong,

Our poor, poor PCs, you really want to kill them do you? wink_o.gif

At least 5000m was unplayable for 99.999954% of the PCs out there, i wonder if 2000m in ArmA is as heavy as 2000m in OFP, or that thanks to engine changes its easier, or that because of the nice graphics its heavier (or that it balances itself out because of the changes/graphics wink_o.gif )

EDIT: Wow, thats a really crappy sentece i made there, oh well... crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]ofpforum Posted on June 14 2006,16:51

Quote (Suma @ June 14 2006,16:27)

Quote (t80 @ June 14 2006,16:23)

You are wrong.

Our poor, poor PCs, you really want to kill them do you?

At least 5000m was unplayable for 99.999954% of the PCs out there, i wonder if 2000m in ArmA is as heavy as 2000m in OFP, or that thanks to engine changes its easier, or that because of the nice graphics its heavier (or that it balances itself out because of the changes/graphics )

Thats the question..

think the fate slowly comming back to me smile_o.gif

Another thing. Hope BIS dont rush with the game to mutch, (dont talking about the demo) i want it bug free..

Quote[/b] ]i want it bug free..

Yea right... Just about every game today isnt released bug free. Theres only so much beta testing that can be done by the developers before they have to release it. With the release the most you can expect is no game stoping bugs. But there will undoubtly be a few little bugs here and there. Buts thats what after release patches are for. And knowing BIS they might also add new content with some of there patches like before for OFP.

Thats my take on things any way whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ]D.murphy man Posted on June 14 2006,18:03

i want it bug free..

Yea right... Just about every game today isnt released bug free. Theres only so much beta testing that can be done by the developers before they have to release it. With the release the most you can expect is no game stoping bugs. But there will undoubtly be a few little bugs here and there. Buts thats what after release patches are for. And knowing BIS they might also add new content with some of there patches like before for OFP.

Thats my take on things any way

The demo could bee a good bug report tool, it´s not the whole game, but big, ugly bugs can be reported to BIS from it.

Games without demo is lot more bugy..

well you better have a word with the writer of the press PDF cause it says 2-5 km viewdistance wink_o.gif author Pavel Mazl

untitled7ab.jpg

of course you are the official voice smile_o.gif.i will accept your answer but there is sooooooooooooooooooooo much confusion ,without official up to date information.

Quote[/b] ]Our poor, poor PCs, you really want to kill them do you? wink_o.gif

At least 5000m was unplayable for 99.999954% of the PCs out there,

5000m VD is very playable if you make an island without objects or with just a few smile_o.gif Runs really smooth even on my old comp (2000+,512mb,gf4200).

Guest Ti0n3r

We've already seen the viewdistance slider. I think it went up to at least 10km's.

well you better have a word with the writer of the press PDF cause it says 2-5 km viewdistance wink_o.gif author Pavel Mazl

[im]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8948/untitled7ab.jpg[/img]

of course you are the official voice smile_o.gif.i will accept your answer but there is sooooooooooooooooooooo much confusion ,without official up to date information.

http://www.idea-games.com/index_main.php?id=project_arma

wink_o.gif

"upto 10km and beyond?"

Isn't that two opposit things in one sentence?

btw. Wasn't one of them who tried the beta saying that view distance changed if you flew? It would be cool if the view distance changed accordingly to height and speed (if its a clear night).

Just like in GTA1 biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]View distance up to 10km and beyond

Well, yeah... like OFPR view distance was up to 5k but you could only use it on the desert island of the default islands. Judging by the screen shots and videos, I think you forgot the "(but only if you got Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 4GB of ram and 2xGF7900GTX or better)" whistle.gif

Or maybe it's in binary, like "There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" smile_o.gif