Sign in to follow this  
meyamoti

Rank system,good idea or bad idea?

The rank system with role/weapon "unlockable" is not a good idea in my opinion, for several reasons stated in this thread.

What i would like to see in missions is that only a tanker can use a tank, only a helicopter pilot can use a helicopter or only a plane pilot can use a plane.

But that is already possible in OFP, as it is up to the mission maker, OFP mission editing and scripting offer powerfull tools to a mission maker in order to achieve such a goal.

So overall on that point nothing needs to change, as long as it is under the control of a mission maker like it is already in OFP.

I didn't know you could lock certain vehicles away from certain characters,thanks for the info Sanctuary smile_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]What i would like to see in missions is that only a tanker can use a tank, only a helicopter pilot can use a helicopter or only a plane pilot can use a plane.

agreed ,i would love to see that as default too.

Guest Ti0n3r

Yeah, that would be great for CTI, as long as someone just spent time enough on it to make it work without any flaws. It would have to be 100% optional though.

Quote[/b] ]What i would like to see in missions is that only a tanker can use a tank, only a helicopter pilot can use a helicopter or only a plane pilot can use a plane.

Why make it default when so many players don't want this? Better to leave it as an option or moddable then to force it on to people.

Not everyone is into rarr rarr realism. I dont care if the Cobra has 136 bolts instead of 145 bolts or whatever crap you guys come up with to complain about.

Well, i dont know how hard it is to drive a tank, but i think that just to get it moving cant be that hard, and i would like to see that for example soldiers have a hard to to properly drive a tank, can barely fly etc, but IMO you should be able (although not wise) to get in what you want  smile_o.gif

The current OFP system is a bit weird as everyone is equally good at doing things, but i am able get in a tank/whatever if its empty/unlocked, so i should be able to get in the thing, even though it should give me very serious 'handicaps'  smile_o.gif

EDIT: But it shouldnt have anything to do with a rank/scorebased system, just the unitclass wink_o.gif

There are OFP missions where pilots fly only...same for tankers. This is for mission editing department.

Not everyone is into rarr rarr realism. I dont care if the Cobra has 136 bolts instead of 145 bolts or whatever crap you guys come up with to complain about.

I'm getting real sick of your lack of respect for others opinions and immature attitude.

One more stunt like that and you get a vacation away from these forums mad_o.gif

You didn't know that? I'm amazed. huh.gif

Yup,I'm ftoopeed. I knew you could lock vehicles but not lock them to certain characters,I'm still a newbie when it comes to learning about the deeper aspects I suppose you could say.

@ ofpforum

The thing about the tank,yes it is very easy to drive at the moment,but I'm not sure how they could make it harder,shifting? Vehicle sinking due to weak ground? I don't know much about tank driving,and as my friend used to say,ify ou do't know about something ask,be it asking a manual or person. A manual could explain,yes,but in terms of making it harder to drive for the game it wouldn't..(or would it?) So I'm curious to see what ideas you might have smile_o.gif

As per optional..what if say..there were two types of settings you could have,normal and realistic,you could also make servers defined by these,thus there wouldn't be much trouble in terms of finding the right servers or anything of that sort.

The thing about the tank,yes it is very easy to drive at the moment,but I'm not sure how they could make it harder

Try driving around in this: http://www.battlefront.com/products/t72/demo.html

You have to shift, it does matter which gear you use, tank turret moves realistically slow, aiming while the tank is moving is hard (aiming at all is hard), etc. I'd like these things included into arma but i know that won't happen 100%...

EDIT: Me personally, i don't want stat tracking, the losers come out of the woodwork to commence "ownage".

The thing about the tank,yes it is very easy to drive at the moment,but I'm not sure how they could make it harder,shifting? Vehicle sinking due to weak ground?

Yup, thats why i didnt post any ideas, i know any. You could make the things turn slower/wait longer before its turning, make it accelerate slower etc, but that all sounds very arcady.. confused_o.gif

(IIRC WGL had a nice thing for choppers on a certain mission; if a non-pilot tried to fly a chopper the engine would turn off/you would fall down everytime you released the "go upwards button", so you were more or less able to fly that way(was harder though), but landing was near to impossible wink_o.gif )

Rank systems are not really all that good if you think about it,they cause people to cheat more just so they can be on the top,on another note ranks are useless because its the same thing,the difference of being a private or corporal or sergeant,it would be the same thing,now if you were unable to enter or atleast drive/gun certain vehicles until you achieve a certain rank then it could be helpful,possibly realistic,for one it gives you time to get familiar with the game,two if you really want to be in the vehicle you would have to practice offline and three it would make the rank system not just a useless option. Opinions?

And yes I figure this thread has a 50/50 chance of being closed but I think this might be an important question,course I could be wrong.

meyamoti the rank system you talk about could work in a {AMERICAS ARMY} stlye were you gain rank only in offline mode. i dont really want to see it but maybe for people who play in single player

biggrin_o.gif

I already hate my friends bragging to me about the fucking medal they got in bf2 or they are a higher rank than me. blah blah. I don't want it in Armed Assault.

I'm getting real sick of your lack of respect for others opinions and immature attitude.

One more stunt like that and you get a vacation away from these forums mad_o.gif

Lack of respect isn't against the rules, I am not swearing nor am I flaming. I don't need to respect opinions that are completely and utterly stupid.

Heh, 7h47 wus kewl!!!11  It roxxors N pwn's *GAG*

Help! I spoke 'L33t'!!!11

*puke*

*HAck*

goodnight.gif

(really, AUS_Twisted,  Good stuff!wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

As per the above post: *Puts on sunglasses to avoid the searing Modbolt from AdminLand*

Edit: I was so taken back by Twisted's slideshow and UB's unabashed statement, I forgot the reason for my post  icon_rolleyes.gif   If this feature was to be put in, I too would appreciate it being an option.

smile_o.gif

You've been around more than long enough to know the 100kb ruling, at almost 1mb I'm very tempted to give you a warning level, please refrain from deliberately breaking the rules again.

Lack of respect isn't against the rules, I am not swearing nor am I flaming. I don't need to respect opinions that are completely and utterly stupid.

Lack of respect = flamebaiting.

Being excessively negative and rude = flamebaiting.

Treating people and their opinion as "utterly stupid" = flamebaiting.

So yes in fact you are outside the rules on a number of occasions, you must converse in a civil manner, that's the required standard of behaviour on these forums, if you cannot learn to do so you won't be able to post on these forums, it's that simple.

Quote[/b] ] I don't need to respect opinions that are completely and utterly stupid.

They are only as stupid as you think they are. From a different perspective your posts may look much more stupid as you´re just telling everyone that you think their opinions are stupid and do nothing else then flamebaiting.

Go out on the street and do the same, you´ll end up with some missing teeth.

I guess everyone here is already fed of your rampant behaviour. You don´t contribute, you just try to play big boy.

If the mods decide to get rid of you (which hopefully will happen) they have my full support and I guess there will only be few who will cry a tear.

Sorry for OT, but it´s really getting on my nerves.

Let's all just drop it. If Ukraineboy can't improve his attitude, he will quickly learn that people can and will be banned regardless of whether they break the letter of the law or the spirit of the law.

The number one rule here, written or not, is DO NOT make the forum an unpleasant experience for others. Period.

Now please, lets just resume discussing the topic at hand... wink_o.gif

You've been around more than long enough to know the 100kb ruling, at almost 1mb I'm very tempted to give you a warning level, please refrain from deliberately breaking the rules again.

lol sorry, I totally forgot about the file size of that .gif file, sometimes it's easy to forget about image file sizes when posting on different forums over the years. I didn't make it but did edit it awhile back to remove one bad word, thought it suited the topic well.

The thing about the tank,yes it is very easy to drive at the moment,but I'm not sure how they could make it harder

Try driving around in this: http://www.battlefront.com/products/t72/demo.html

You have to shift, it does matter which gear you use, tank turret moves realistically slow, aiming while the tank is moving is hard (aiming at all is hard), etc. I'd like these things included into arma but i know that won't happen 100%...

EDIT: Me personally, i don't want stat tracking, the losers come out of the woodwork to commence "ownage".

@ martinovic

Thanks,I'll make sure to try it out,though I'm not sure that tank turrets turn soslow these days,I'v seen a few videos of some modern tanks,and granted they don't turn as fast as in OFP,they do turn almost as fast.

@ Chipper

Heh..yeah..my friends tried to do the same with me,I told em its just a game and if they want to really impress me then go get a medal in real life,playing for 100 hours just to get a medal is EA's way of making you stay tied to the game and it seems effective but not generally good in the ways of teamwork.

@ AUS_Twisted

ROFL,thats good man,real good.

A rank system ist the best Way to kill the ArmA and OFP Community seems like Battlefield 2. No Communtiy, No Teamplay, only public ranked noobs

True,my point mostly being,if there is going to be any kind of system like that then it should actually be used for something,and I dont mean weapon unlocks,who the hell advances in rank and 'unlocks' weapons?

As developers said there won't be any ranking system so don't worry.

Although stat count tools would be useful.