Sign in to follow this  
deady

Voices

One of the good things about OFP1, is that theres a whole bunch of player voices to choose from, which can also be customised (maybe too extremely) with the pitch control.

Personally, I like to use Paul with his thick southern accent calling out "Faaaave O'clock, SNAPPER" (Sniper).

Will we get the same choices in AA?

Guest Ti0n3r

I wouldn't get my hopes up when it comes to anything related to voice acting (after playing BIS latest release) whistle.gif

*cough*text-to-speech*cough* crazy_o.gif

The pitch control also allows cheating in MP, by manually entering a ridiculously high pitch in the config file you can order the AI around much faster, this should be fixed. You can also choose Resistance voices this way.

More recent programs (like the newer versions of Windows Media Player) allow you to change the pitch without changing the speed.

The voice actors for OFP were provided by Codemasters wink_o.gif .

With codemasters gone, Bis has to look for new voices... knowing the "default" detail of the units they provide compared to some addons... their voices probably will be very basic wink_o.gif .

I hope the put the OFP: Elite's version of Sgt. Bergoff's voice in Armed Assault. He sound HILARIOUS!! rofl.gif

Guest Ti0n3r
I hope the put the OFP: Elite's version of Sgt. Bergoff's voice in Armed Assault. He sound HILARIOUS!! rofl.gif

Haha, I hope they use professionals this time (They said so, but I don't know if I should trust them after hearing the OFP:E voices) icon_rolleyes.gifwink_o.gif

The only way to explain Bergoff's accent would be that he's from New Orleans, Texas and England - all at the same time.

They can't remove the pitch control, it was one of the coolest features of ofp! well it was cool.

Apart from the missions that would overwrite voices, you could use it to identify players really easily, which is good. If you don't have to read the name of those who are speaking it cannot be a bad feature.

we all heard the new voice engine in the arma e3 footage, it's not that bad

but IMHO the THAT added in every sentence isn't very convincing

2, target THAT ... sniper, 5 o'clock

2, target THAT ... soldier, 5 o'clock

I find the shorter version ("target sniper") much more command-like, more brisk and firm and less time-consuming

I agree, that has gotta go unless it's just thrown in every once in a while for a little randomness. I guess you could replace "that"-samples of all voice characters with an empty sample if they don't fix it.

no. just because something is new doesn't mean it's bad. if they can reduce the timing inbetween timings (or sort out whatever makes them sound like robots) then, 'that' is a welcome edition imho.

'Two, engage that soldier' sounds a lot more authentic than '2...target...soldier'. now thinking about it, it would be really cool if the squadleader could point at things when he gives orders. (since animations with animations is now possible...i read somewhere...like run and reload) something simple like in 'brothers in arms'.

The problem is, each sentence is made up of individual sections. So 2, is one file, engage is the next file, that is the next file, soldier is the next file and so on. If you de-pbo the ofp voice files (under sound.pbo) you'll see what i mean.

Guest Ti0n3r

I think that "Target that soldier at 100 meters" sounds much better than the old "Target soldier 100", it's just that the 'smoothness' needs some work. yay.gif

The pitch control also allows cheating in MP, by manually entering a ridiculously high pitch in the config file you can order the AI around much faster, this should be fixed. You can also choose Resistance voices this way.

errm Metal Heart - how far you can proove that one.

AI doesn't react on your voice but on the command

by the engine itself.

If you disable radio sound anyway there isn't even a sound

and AI will do everything without hearing voices. wink_o.gif

call that cheating makes me rofl.gif

~S~ CD

Of course the AI doesn't listen to the voices, I'm perfectly aware of that and I never said it did. You could replace all the voices with samples of farts and the AI would still understand the commands.

But... before the next command takes effect, the samples that form the previous command and all the other radio messages that were in queue are played to the very last sample. This is quite evident when you are a tank commander and have an AI driver and at the same time try to command some AI elsewhere and have them clogging the channel by reporting some meaningless stuff all the time, thus making effective commanding quite impossible (that's why I usually take the gunner seat instead of commander).

Therefore, reducing the time that your character takes to say the commands makes commanding faster, especially when you're giving multiple commands in rapid succession.

Well OK, this makes more sense - but don't call this cheating

please.

Ya know how ppl get in panic about cheating - this would them just give food. smile_o.gif

And btw - i'd rather prefer one sec or so delay in ai reaction

than listen all time to Mickey Mouse in Tanks - that's why

i play ofp and not kiddy contest CS or similar. wink_o.gif

~S~ CD

Personally I think adding "That" to radio commands is quite silly.

Radio communications in wartime should be able to get the correct message across in the shortest amount of time.

Target Sniper 100 gets the message across quickly, Target that sniper, 100 just adds a redundant word. And to me, it makes the thing sound unprofessional.

I disagree Deadie. I wouldn't have thought soldiers in the field talk like robots unless there is an established protocol such as a fire mission or target identification. When it comes to giving orders surely using clear, concise language is preferable. I'm not multi-linguistic but certainly in english structuring sentences makes them easier to understand and missing, unheard or mis-understood words can be guessed using the remaining words.

In authentic war films you never hear the searge barking out 3..engage..officer..9 o clock. He's shouting Turner take out that machine gun nest at the top of the hill, Roberts you go with him.

I know names and geography are out of the qustion but my point is they talk as they would outside of combat albeit with more emotion and urgency.

I, in turn, disagree with you Znashin wink_o.gif

You are quite right in saying that real soldiers on a real battlefield won't shout '3, target MACHINE GUN!, 5 o' clock' but communicate like normal human beings. Still, implementing this in a game is only possible with pre-recorded conversations. The comms system in OFP and ArmA is a dynamic, modular system. It is not suited for recreating life-like conversations, and thus sounds fairly robotic. It did bother me somewhat when playing OFP, but I always said to myself that the soldiers are trying to make their statements as concise as possible to avoid cluttering the comms (kind of like in fire missions). Adding THAT to such a system is certainly not going to make it sound less artificial and robotic, it only makes it seem unprofessional.

I don't even like the voices, they are slow and annoying. I got a mod for OFP that turns them off and makes my orders instant. There's a difference between realism and being pedantic.

I don't even like the voices, they are slow and annoying. I got a mod for OFP that turns them off and makes my orders instant. There's a difference between realism and being pedantic.

that negative post brought to you by Ukrainboy. Remember with Ukrainboy you can always get your dose of negativity for free! rofl.gif Ukrainboy you make my day...

Heh i like the different voices, they give me a sense of different personalities throughout the squad.

It helps the immersion for me, although they are indeed way too slow sometimes... tounge2.gif