Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

Best of First-Person Tactical/Wargaming

Thanks Dyslexic.

Actually for a mis - spelt name to a dyslexic it's perfectly readable So I guess being one pays off sometimes for me!

I thought your article was brilliant. Infact I think it should be stickied because of the 'realism' arguments that go on. I thought it quite comprehensive.

Watching the Okinawa tape and hearing the .50 cal go off compared to the other m/g's was quite pronounced. Personally when viewing the Operation flashpoint video, I don't consider myself a good shooter in the least and I guess being a professional soldier and having better arm muscles would be able to keep a target within reasonable scope after physical duress. Personally I find it extremely hard to shoulder a rifle after finding balance and squeezing off a shot at all accurately. I Always where possible except for close range prefer a support. Ideally I prefer Prone with a support, with as little holding of the weapon as possible.

I really agree on the 6 DOF.

Enjoyed the Cobra track but HATED the disturbed inclusion lol.

Very nice work Dslyecxi.

BUT ... You've managed to depress me by reminding me of all the great things which we probably won't see in Arma. I was content to forget the 'fluid stance' of something like Raven Shield for example but now I'm going to be painfully aware that it's missing from Arma.

OFP:E did have fluid leaning, so maybe there is hope on that aspect. After all the fluid stance isn't actually that hard to do, you just allow the player to move through the various animations frame-by-frame.

There are lot of other things mentioned which I would love to see in Arma. Take the raising of the weapon when too close to an object in Vietcong, it would make maneuvering inside much better.

I'm suprised you didn't mention Trespasser (1998) though. Though itself not a mil-sim game, for it's time it had some of the most realistic elements of any game. In regards to your article, Trespasser was the first game I saw with the abilility to use objects for support and it was not a scripted event where an icon tells you that you are now resting on that surface, but an incredible physics engine. Your mouse sensitivity didn't decrease but the physics and full arm control made such imitatation effects irrelevant.

I'd be interested to have known how many of your rounds were on target during that AR-15 fast-walk.

I thought your article was brilliant. Infact I think it should be stickied because of the 'realism' arguments that go on. I thought it quite comprehensive.

Stickied? That would be extremely cool, here's hoping.

Very nice work Dslyecxi.

Thanks. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'm suprised you didn't mention Trespasser (1998) though. Though itself not a mil-sim game, for it's time it had some of the most realistic elements of any game. In regards to your article, Trespasser was the first game I saw with the abilility to use objects for support and it was not a scripted event where an icon tells you that you are now resting on that surface, but an incredible physics engine. Your mouse sensitivity didn't decrease but the physics and full arm control made such imitatation effects irrelevant.

I didn't spend enough time with Trespasser to notice that, and really, I didn't want to include games that did something "first" but not best. Red Orchestra currently does the "resting weapons on the environment" thing better than anything else, so even if I had considered Trespasser, RO would've still "won" so to speak.

Quote[/b] ]I'd be interested to have known how many of your rounds were on target during that AR-15 fast-walk.

All of them. That really isn't hard to do at ranges below say 75 meters shooting at a man-sized target. EOtech sights are a breeze to aim with, and when you combine that with the AR-15's low recoil you can get impressive results beyond what you would expect to acheive via ironsights. I was shooting at a bucket, maybe 1 foot on each side, and probably started off about 25-30 yards away from it. It was extremely easy to hit, even on the move. I would've been farther away, but the camera I was recording that with was pretty crappy and thus I had to be close to get it on film. There's another clip I have where I'm shooting with my Glock 19 at the same target while moving both front/back and side to side, at ranges from 7-25 meters. Same basic story there, 95% of my shots hit the target, two of them landed just short but aside from that everything was a hit.

Since this article is aimed at FPS games in general I'm moving it to OT.

Since this article is aimed at FPS games in general I'm moving it to OT.

...why?

Of all the places to have this, the Armed Assault forum is by far the most appropriate. As Chunder said, this is the kind of thing that should be stickied in it - it deals with all kinds of stuff that is CONSTANTLY rehashed in the forum, except it's done in a comprehensive and in-depth fashion.

I posted it in the ArmA forum for a very good reason, and the fact that you've moved it to off-topic, when it really isn't off-topic, is a bit disheartening. Please move it back.

i also think this should go back to ARMA topics,

This idea/thread was created to improve ARMA and not talk about other games like shadow says.

arf

This is a great informative read. Very well done. notworthy.gif I think anyone that wants a realistic experience is in pretty much complete agreement with your suggestions. Mixing the best aspects from different games into one to truly amazing game.

Now, since ArmA is basically very close to being "done", these suggestions might not be looked seriously right now by the devs. Where this topic should be, is.................

******STICKIED****** in the Game2 suggestion forum.

BIS want to revolutionize gaming with their "true" sequel and these suggestions/ideas are a great way toward that. Incase they don't read though the forums, whoever does see this article, please give the link to any of the devs or whoever. This is a "must" read for BIS. thumbs-up.gif

When you're reading an article about "all" tactical games and then discuss it here it will be about "all" tactical games and not ArmA exclusively.

So I moved it to O-T. If you disagree then PM me.

back on topic:

Quote[/b] ]Many games that model 3D ironsights have this "bobbing/misaligning" ironsight effect when moving or quickly turning (with CoD2 visually pulling it off the best), but it's questionable if any of them have extensively modeled the POI shifts that result from it.

As far as I know, GR:AW is the only game that truely models POI calculated from front and rear sight alignment.

This is as far as I've read about the article so far. Looking forward to get the time to read the rest. So far I agree on everything except I have no opinion on Red Orchestra (never tried it).

I've only had time to glance through the article so far, but it looks very interesting and well presented. I've found that each game that I've played has had its different pros and cons. If only it was possible to take only the good aspects of each game and put them into one (ArmA?) it would by cool!  wink_o.gif

It's MP5A4... not MP-5... tounge2.gif

Well, to the point. I'm currently at part IV, reading through the article carefully. Outstanding job so far, some very good points there, and also interesting "reference material". And some new things (atleast for me) concerning ArmA. As propably pointed out, there are some points that might've been worthy of mentioning, but then again the article already covers nearly every aspect thinkable.

Interesting to read, but "heavy" as the case usually is. thumbs-up.gif Back to reading now. I'll post the link to it at some forums. wink_o.gif

I read this article almost to the end... That's just magnificent. GOOD JOB!

Wow, tnx Dslyecxi!

One thing about flashlight on weapons: SWAT4 has it, and it works quite well. Too bad you haven't tried it wink_o.gif

Once again, great job!

Excelent article, just one thing I noted: I believe it is possible to hold your breath in OFP using Alt key

Alt key isn't for "holding breath". It enables "free look", but doesn't toggle it, for that you use star (*) key. It does ease up the aiming a bit, though, if you have the enemy in sight, as it locks the view when using sights/scope.

Excelent article, just one thing I noted: I believe it is possible to hold your breath in OFP using Alt key

I left that out due to it being an unintentional feature. It's not a "hold breath" key, it's just a side effect of how the freelook works. Some might consider it to be an exploit, even.

Quote[/b] ]It's MP5A4... not MP-5... tounge2.gif

Where appropriate I listed it as an MP-5A4. When I was talking about magazines, I listed it as an MP-5 due to the fact that the entire family of weapons (MP-5A4, MP5SD5, MP-5K PDW, etc etc) share the same kind of magazine.

Quote[/b] ]One thing about flashlight on weapons: SWAT4 has it, and it works quite well. Too bad you haven't tried it

Yeah. Too bad. sad_o.gif

Lol, well actually my point was MP5 vs MP-5, "There is no hyphen". biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

Finished reading it some time after I posted (took me propably 1.5 hours crazy_o.gif), nice ending too.

I just updated the ending.. quoting it here.

Quote[/b] ]I'd like to point out a few things here that I neglected to mention in the article. There are a few games missing from the lineup that probably deserve notice in some respects, so here are the names and why they weren't included.

# SWAT 3 & 4 - I never played either of these games extensively, and thus didn't feel comfortable citing things from them that I wasn't familiar with. SWAT 4 had a mouse bug that prevented me from playing it, and I just missed the boat on SWAT 3.

# Infiltration for UT99 - Same basic story. Never played it extensively, and while I know it had some innovative features, I'm not familiar enough with them to talk authoratively about them. I'm reinstalling UT today and downloading the mod to see what all the fuss was/is about.

# True Combat: Elite. Thought it was dead, but apparently not. I'm downloading the latest version as we speak to see how it is. If you want to check this out yourself, it's a free mod for the free Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory MP game.

Quote[/b] ]One thing about flashlight on weapons: SWAT4 has it, and it works quite well. Too bad you haven't tried it

Yeah. Too bad. sad_o.gif

You can always order SWAT 4 Gold, it's 20$. wink_o.gif I ordered it today myself biggrin_o.gif

Yeah. Too bad. sad_o.gif

You can always order SWAT 4 Gold, it's 20$. wink_o.gif I ordered it today myself biggrin_o.gif

A mouse bug prevents me from being able to play the demo, so I'm not planning to buy the game. That's the only reason I don't have it already. confused_o.gif

Ok, very nice article. All we need now is more people like yourself to saturate the FPS community with these concepts.

The only thing I disagreed with - Binoculars.

In reality they are quite unsteady and moving with them as portayed in RO .... I don't feel it is realistic.

Damn I just wasted an hour reading this and watching the vids xmas_o.gif

Great Article!, makes ppl aware of what is possible already

Great article, made me discover Brigade E5 too.

Does anybody know when it will be released in good old Europe ? that inventory and encumbrance system and the fact that it's a real time/turn based hybrid really got me interested.

OT :

Omg ran wow_o.gif

That was a while ago, welcome back mate wink_o.gif

I always keep an eye on these forums wink_o.gif

Waiting quietly for armed assault so I can alone unleash the furia francese aboard an armed jeep once again like in the good ol' time hehehehehe.