Sign in to follow this  
ricnunes

Fabulous flying & firing machines in ArmA?

Guest Ti0n3r

Heh, I'm still waiting for footage of the new T80. Maybe they'll throw in a T90 too. Could be used to guard the DRS dictators personal mansion inlove.gif

ok , i have missed something somewhere, people keep mentioning the drs and drsa , i have obviously missed out when they put , the names of the two sides, except for one, in the screen shot of the brief screen its says , a group of special forces are going to clean out a group of "SLA" troops, which i thought meant sahrani liberation army ?. but it continue to say player would be a member of the special forces , therefore sla is from north,

jesus , i am confused agai, can someone explain the sides and where we found out who is who ,lol.

Guest Ti0n3r

Hehe, DRS is just an acronym I came up with, I thought it sounded 'cool'.

Democratic Republic of Sahrani.

Oh, they HAVE to have a Hind in ArmA (I know, they do), what else will scare the sh*t out of you from the air?  That and the the T-72 & 80, are synonomous with BIS's franchise.  It'd be like the US without the Abrams.  inlove.gif

You know, i was playing "Monigniac must fall" the other day.  Knowing that an Mi24 was on it's way I managed to pick up an RPG with one rocket.

I used an old trick (aparently used in Afganistan to shoot down Russian choppers): stand with your back to chopper and allow the chopper to fly over your head, fire at the nose of the chopper and the rocket will hit the tail.  I did this and it worked!!!....but the mighty Hind didn't go down!

They are like flying tanks!  And they do scare the hell out of me and should be in ArmA.

One thing though...could an AH1z stand up to a Hind in arial combat? (speed manouverability etc)

Guest Ti0n3r
One thing though...could an AH1z stand up to a Hind in arial combat? (speed manouverability etc)

Speed, maneuverability, weaponry; Yes.

Armour; Nope.

PS: The Cobra in ArmA seems to be an AH-1W Super Cobra though.

Sure it can! The AH-1Z is a much better helicopter gunship than the Hind even because it's much more modern.

The AH-1Z is much more agile than a Hind and it's perhaps the helicopter gunship with higher thrust to weight ratio in the world so it should also have the advantage in terms of acceleration.

The AH-1Z has far more advanced targeting systems/avionics (and not only) and it usually comes armed with 2 sidewinder air-to-air missiles (mounted on wigtips) which gives it big advantage over the Hind (and many other helo gunships for that matter). Also in terms of weaponry, the AH-1Z have a better cannon system than most Hind versions.

The only advantages that the Hind has over the AH-1Z is better armour and a higher top speed (which isn't that important in terms of Helicopter "warfare").

And more expensive and can hold less weapons..by that I mean carry,yes 8 hellfires and rockets can do alot of damage but its kinda like in OFp..iirc anyway..the hind could hold more weapons and had more armor but the apache had better maneuverability..sorta..after playing with the Franze's apache the original seemed way less maneuverable..ah well. If the forces are not Russian then why not give them a more modern helicopter such as the Mi-28 I wonder?

PS: The Cobra in ArmA seems to be an AH-1W Super Cobra though.

Negative.

This was pointed out by meyamoti;

Click here and check my post post (4th up from the bottom.)  BIS have named it incorectly.  Go look.

Guest Ti0n3r

Oh yes you're right. Well thanks for the enlightenment.

Btw, I hope they get the names right this time. No more Mi17's etc wink_o.gif

And more expensive and can hold less weapons..by that I mean carry,yes 8 hellfires and rockets can do alot of damage but its kinda like in OFp..iirc anyway..the hind could hold more weapons and had more armor but the apache had better maneuverability..sorta..after playing with the Franze's apache the original seemed way less maneuverable..ah well. If the forces are not Russian then why not give them a more modern helicopter such as the Mi-28 I wonder?

No troop transport then though.

So what is the current Russian AH?

the MI-24 is still the main Russian Attack Helo, but the Mi-28 was recently accepted in place of the Ka-52 iirc from the other thread.

Oh yes you're right. Well thanks for the enlightenment.

Btw, I hope they get the names right this time. No more Mi17's etc wink_o.gif

...I had fun digging thos images up. biggrin_o.gif

Yeah, lets hope so.  They seem to have the size about right smile_o.gif

Also; apparently the Mi17 and the Mi8 are the same chopper.  The Mi17 was built for export while the Mi8 was used by Russia.  Basicaly the same exept for the tail rotor possioning. wink_o.gif

@Warden

Quote[/b] ]the MI-24 is still the main Russian Attack Helo, but the Mi-28 was recently accepted in place of the Ka-52 iirc from the other thread.

I see.  Thank you.

The AH1-Z seems to equipped with Sidewinders, i thought US Helicopters where equipped with Stinger missiles in wingtip Pods? or is that just the AH64-D?

Also th Last Army AH1-F was retired in 1999, so why not put in the AH64-D? or is it already in?

Nvm only the British use the Stinger on thier Apaches it seems.

im pretty sure manoverability wouldnt matter so much since well the helecoper would just rotate and face it, maybee at point blank range but then how do u close to that range with out copping it.

Ive got another question: Will you be able to walk inside HIND and other transport vehicles like in VBS ? That would friggin rule! pistols.gifgoodnight.gif

Quote[/b] ]

The AH1-Z seems to equipped with Sidewinders, i thought US Helicopters where equipped with Stinger missiles in wingtip Pods? or is that just the AH64-D?

Also th Last Army AH1-F was retired in 1999, so why not put in the AH64-D? or is it already in?

Actually, the AH-1s in Marine service can be equipped with Sidewinder because that's their primary short range ATAM. The Army chose Stinger, so as a result their birds carry Stinger for defense (or can, anyways - ATAS isn't admired.)

The British plan to use Starstreak on their WAH-64s.

I think we can be pretty sure that there's an AH-64 in the game, we just haven't seen it yet.

Quote[/b] ]

im pretty sure manoverability wouldnt matter so much since well the helecoper would just rotate and face it, maybee at point blank range but then how do u close to that range with out copping it.

Maneuverability does matter in a helicopter fight, much the same that maneuverability matters in a WVR jet fight. For a helicopter like Hind, it doesn't have much capability to slow down enough to make a quick rotating turn, and I sincerely doubt it has a good rate of yaw.

As to whether or not the Hind will be in ArmA... I figure it's a given. Really, who doesn't have a few Hinds?

Quote[/b] ]The AH1-Z seems to equipped with Sidewinders, i thought US Helicopters where equipped with Stinger missiles in wingtip Pods? or is that just the AH64-D?

Well, normally the Stinger is seen in US Army Helicopters such as the Apache or the Kiowa.

Since the AH-1Z belongs to the US Marines Corp it could be that the Marines prefer the Sidewinder to the Stinger probably due to the more offensive nature of the Marines (The Sidewinder is a quite better missile than the Stinger since it has more range a perhaps better seeker) while the Stinger seems to be more of self defence missile. It could also happen that the Sidewinder "fits better" in the Cobras.

Well my 2 cents but anyway the Sidewinder has been deployed in Marine Corps Cobras since the 80's.

Quote[/b] ]Also th Last Army AH1-F was retired in 1999, so why not put in the AH64-D? or is it already in?

Like I said before the AH-1Z is used be the US Marines and not the Army and it has nothing to do with the AH-1F. Well I don't know if the Apache will be modeled in Armed Assault but anyway I'm glad that the devs decided to put AH-1Z even if it means that there will be no Apache since first the AH-1Z is my favourite gunship and secondly I'm kinda tired of seeing the Apache as the "only" important (or major) western attack helicopter.

Quote[/b] ]Nvm only the British use the Stinger on thier Apaches it seems.

If I'm not mistaken the British don't use the Stingers in they Apaches but instead they use the Starstreak missile which is British made and like the Stinger it was originally designed as a sholder-launched Surface to Air missile.

Finally I wanted to say that the AH-1Z despite being a "Cobra" family attack helicopter, it's in fact a completly new helicopter (even when compared with the AH-1W Super Cobra) and to correct what someone said before the AH-1Z can carry 16 Hellfires (and not only 8).

Well here are some very detailed and interesting info on the AH-1Z:

http://www.bellhelicopter.textron.com/en....-1Z.cfm

http://www.bellhelicopter.textron.com/en....web.pdf

I think the AH-1Z looks like franken-chopper. I much prefer the lines of the AH-1W over AH-1Z.

I'm glad that the devs decided to put AH-1Z even if it means that there will be no Apache since first the AH-1Z is my favourite gunship and secondly I'm kinda tired of seeing the Apache as the "only" important  (or major) western attack helicopter.

band.gif

Apaches are the finest and best. Period.

I would think there would be an apache since we saw one in the earlier screenshots.

Everyone else has kindly answered all of your questions, but I'd like to add a few things. In 1987, two AIM-9 Sidewinders were test fired from the wingtips of an AH-64. This test was carried out because the USMC was interested in acquiring the AH-64, but (as we can see today) they lacked the funds. It was the Sidewinder/SideARM trials that encouraged the US Army to test ATAS on the Apache. The US Army prefered the use of ATAS over the AIM-9 even though it had a shorter range because the AH-64 could carry twice the number of missiles (2 round pods as opposed to an LAU-7 rail needed for the Sidewinder), and the AIM-9 produces excessive smoke and flame when fired, which would reveal the chopper's position (especially bad for the AH-64, which was supposed to be a stealthy helicopter).

Both ATAS launchers and LAU-7's (AIM-9 launcher) can also be mounted on the hardpoints under the wings of both helicopters (in place of hellfire racks or rocket pods), giving both choppers the capacity to carry a maximun of 12 ATAS or 6 Sidewinders.

ATAS is also better suited for other US Army helicopters, such as the OH-58.

@Shadow

Quote[/b] ]

Here here!!!

@Jakerod

Quote[/b] ]

I would think there would be an apache since we saw one in the earlier screenshots.

I hope your right.  I always felt safer with one of those in the sky.  I think the cobra looks skinny, flimsy and week  while the Apache looks bulky, fearsome and strong!

Look at them head on;

ah1-018_Small_Web_view.jpg

skinny, flimsy + week

apache-036.jpg

Bulky, fearsome + strong

I'm glad that the devs decided to put AH-1Z even if it means that there will be no Apache since first the AH-1Z is my favourite gunship and secondly I'm kinda tired of seeing the Apache as the "only" important  (or major) western attack helicopter.

band.gif

Well, that's only an oppinion  wink_o.gif

There are things where the Apache does better and there are things that the Cobra (Specially the AH-1Z) does better. Period.   smile_o.gif

Anyway, I'm glad that the dev decided to put an another western attack helicopter diferent from the Apache...