Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

Why do you see OFP as the best military game?

Personaly I like OFP becuase it allows me to play war without toys. Remember when you were a kid (without a PC) and you used to setup those plastic army men? That's what I love about OFP. With a little effort, you can makeup virtualy any situation and play it out. I remember watching the movie "Red Dawn" and being awe struck. I wanted to re-create that situation soooo bad. With OFP, I was able to. Creating a mission for yourself isn't that stimulating. Creating a coop mission for you and your LAN buddies to conquer is another thing. My favorite coop mission was on Malden. I placed enemy armored units and infantry in nearly every town, placed several A-10's, helos, tanks, humvees, ammo stores, etc at the malden air base and cleared the entire island with 3 of my friends. It took us about 5 hours to complete. The second time I added someone's Javelin addon and it took us about 2 hours. I remember one that one of my friends made the mistake of ejecting out of his A-10 instead of just dying and respawning. He just happened to eject into a town that hadn't been cleared and he needed to be rescued. It turned a "liberation" mission into a "evac" mission. We all agreed that there is no other game that is as imersive and OFP.

To make a long story short, I am very excited about the release of ArmA. I hope you find a publisher soon and also hope you guys end up making kazillions of dollars. Thanks for picking up and finishing the OFP project and continuing the legacy. notworthy.gif

P.S. I also read in a interview with your PR guy that your going to include a BIS Javelin launcher!!! Thanks for answering my prayers!!1!

It's a sandbox wargame, nothing else like it in the gaming world.

I guess it is the ability to customise the missions and game play to what you like and not be stuck with what "The Publishers" like. I see this product as simulation not a FPS.

Plus I found this video of the BIS modellers testing a Javelin for the introduction into AA....TIC rofl.gif

http://video.google.com/videopl....javelin

The movie "Red Dawn" is old but it's still one of my favorites.

Yeah, I love OFP for the unparallelled freedom it give us to just screw around...

The movie "Red Dawn" is old but it's still one of my favorites.

knowingly going offtopic?

Creating a mission for yourself not being stimulating? The hell it ain't! I spent weeks back in my 1.46 days making sure missions were photo-perfect! Timing cars to drive in the right direction at the right time, etc etc ad infinitum! I love making missions for meself, even the prohibitive amount of addons they have make release to the community unrealistic. inlove.gif

Plus I found this video of the BIS modellers testing a Javelin for the introduction into AA....TIC rofl.gif

http://video.google.com/videopl....javelin

You're joking right? Ive seen that infamous video before...ugh, people seem to forget that the tank was filled with explosives in that video.

anyways back ontopic. OFP is the best military game because of its potential, not default OFP. It has a great base, but the campaign was horrible. Mods are amazing and even without JIP, multiplayer kicked ass

Must tanks are filled with explosives. Ammuntion and Fuel and thats pretty close to what I've seen in real life. The best feature of the Abrams to add is that fact that all the ammunition is stored away from the crew and sealed behind blast wall.

Anyways to stay on topic. OFP is the only PC game I have ever liked due to the fact that its not only great engine but is enhanced in its real world qualities by mod and add on makers. You have so many nations militarys represented. Units and varitions. Just an amazing game. I cant wait for ARMA. smile_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

There is no other game engine like it. ofplover.jpg

One of the main prooving arguments that OFP is so good is that it is the only game in the history of ever to last 5 YEARS (excepting Tetris. But I hate Tetris). Most other games are lucky to last even a few months, but OFP has really set the bar high.

We love you BIS!!! inlove.gif

And the Mod Makers! The world wouldn't be the same without you! biggrin_o.gif

Like you said, OFP reminds me the old times when i was a kid.

Playing with those plastic toys and vehicles, but now with OFP i can be one of those plastic toys with the ability to use large amount of vehicles.

I also can make my own mission like i used to do when beeing a kid. smile_o.gif

Old memories rule! thumbs-up.gif

You're joking right?

TIC... Tongue In Cheek...

Creating a mission for yourself not being stimulating? The hell it ain't! I spent weeks back in my 1.46 days making sure missions were photo-perfect! Timing cars to drive in the right direction at the right time, etc etc ad infinitum! I love making missions for meself.

Absolutly. I used to try and make at least one mission a week but i'd get so many ideas that the one mission turned into ten seperate missions. I would spend literally hours getting the settings of the soldiers and vehicles just right. My time spent in the mission editor outways my time actually playing missions by about 100-1. I have often put in over three days of editing for just a 5 minute intro. I've also spent many hours just setting up a base camp which the player might not even see. I'm hopeing for a more CPU friendly engine so that i can put in even more detail in my missions. To sum up, i basically love this game as there is nothing else that compares.... notworthy.gif

My answer to topic: The GUARD waypoint (in OFP:E)

(aka strong AI not to be found in any other game)

One of the main prooving arguments that OFP is so good is that it is the only game in the history of ever to last 5 YEARS (excepting Tetris. But I hate Tetris). Most other games are lucky to last even a few months, but OFP has really set the bar high.

We love you BIS!!! inlove.gif

And the Mod Makers! The world wouldn't be the same without you! biggrin_o.gif

There are others. I still go back and play Starcraft once in a while. I'm always pleased to find that it's still just as fun as it was years ago; the mark of a great game.

I can't say too much about Flashpoint's multiplayer experience since I hate gamespy arcade, I don't own Resistance, and there are few public servers open during my waking hours with no join in progress.

But anyway:

I like OFP because the worlds are really immersive. In other games it is obvious that the worlds were designed to be played in. BIS seems to have done it the other way around. They created a world that could be anybody's neighborhood and then threw the game into it. Somehow, a war found its way onto a peaceful tropical island.

totally have to agree with nr 1 there , and the addons make me smile alot too notworthy.gifsmile_o.gif

My answer to the question---

In the world of OFP, I feel I am a real soldier.

In other FPS games, I know I am just another bloody gamer.

There's nothing quite like OFP even it's been five years since its release.

My answer to the question---

In the world of OFP, I feel I am a real soldier.

exhausting drills, digging foxholes, running in waist deep snow... that's when I felt like a soldier

EDIT: forgot to add, before that OFP made me feel like a soldier as well tounge2.gif during my service I thought many times "oh man I wish this was just OFP"

OFP has made me very critical of other shooters, I dont like alot of other FPS after becoming acustomed to it. On the plus, I dont buy as much games anymore now that Ive found my 'ultimate' game smile_o.gif

OFP has made me very critical of other shooters, I dont like alot of other FPS after becoming acustomed to it. On the plus, I dont buy as much games anymore now that Ive found my 'ultimate' game smile_o.gif

In fact I'd like it if they could just leave the name of next generation game to "Game 2", you know, kind of prideful and arrogant that this is THE game. yay.gif

Only reason I see OFP as best military game is because of Mods. Thats it. I dont even look at Default OFP without cringing.

No other game allows me to drive around in MT-LBs or make a race with them! Yarrr! Race around Nogova in a BMPs, T-72s and other nice things. It's kind of like wacky races, the dastardly double 0 is Guba on a bike.

Only reason I see OFP as best military game is because of Mods. Thats it. I dont even look at Default OFP without cringing.

Isn't a mod using an engine?

If yes than it is the ENGINE not the mod which deserves the credit (and yes, then you could say that ofp campaign is just a tech demo of the engine)