Sign in to follow this  
Snots

Aircraft Controls

Does anyone know if the choppers, aircraft will be able to be flown with pedals etc. in AA. A bit more like a sim than just left, right, up, down.

Ive got a Cougar HOTAS and Simped pedals.

ta

<s>You could use them all in OFP right now, you just need to assign the axes in control settings. I don't know for sure of course but I'd be quite surprised if this wasn't possible in ArmA too.</s>

(edit. I thought I once used a joystick and some buttons from another controller at the same time but it must've been some other game I guess)

Just keep praying that they will completely redo the flight physics smile_o.gif

Actually, you can only use one gaming device in OFP. If your joystick and pedals are separate devices, then you can only map the first device.

Axek.

if you have gameport pedals you can slave them through the back of your Cougar to make a single logical device.

hope this hasnt been asked before.. doing multiple searches didnt come up with any of the keywords i was asking. (sorry, mods if so!wink_o.gif

operation flashpoint was set for only a single joystick.

I.E. flying helicopters, you had to use your joystick for ALL pitch, roll , and yaw movement.

being an avid flight simulator fan, im hoping multiple inputs for ARMA could/will be used. stick can be used for pitch and roll, while rudder pedals control yaw.

in flashpoint, i have to unplug the rudder pedals because it is always first input on computer..which means all flight direction goes thru them. after unplugging, i can use the joystick. but it feels odd using a twisty stick for yaw.

any word out?

Searching for "controller OR joystick" finds the active (ie not older than 3 months) thread "Aircraft controls" I don't see any need at all to start a new thread for the same topic/theme.

I'll merge the two together.

dunno if the Force Feedback have also to do with the game creators but if they have..

..i hope they put more "Force Feedback" in the game while flying vehicles.

thanks placebo! ..lol i guess i did the flight simulators word usage as in "muliple input" " muliple controllers" "flight sitcks" .. i made it too hard on myself

so i take it so far nobody knows if several controller can be used at once.. for ARMA?

No idea, but I would say BIS didnt spend much time on that. Why? I have good old MS Sidewinder FF joystick, and I have never used it in OFP. Flying with a mouse and keyboard is so easy once you get used to it, that it makes little point putting joystick on and off your table while entering/disembarking the vehicle. It might be fun to use the joystick, but in a MP environment (and I only play MP for past few years), efficiency is more important than fun.

Anyway, BIS have stated somewhere that ArmA flight controls will be even easier to manage, so unfortunetly I don't think they will care about pedals and throtles much.

If you ask me, I'd like to have choppers limited to joystick only, this way you create a realistic feeling in the MP game, where only those with sufficient skill (or hardware for that matter) can fly different things :P

No idea, but I would say BIS didnt spend much time on that. Why? I have good old MS Sidewinder FF joystick, and I have never used it in OFP. Flying with a mouse and keyboard is so easy once you get used to it, that it makes little point putting joystick on and off your table while entering/disembarking the vehicle. It might be fun to use the joystick, but in a MP environment (and I only play MP for past few years), efficiency is more important than fun.

Anyway, BIS have stated somewhere that ArmA flight controls will be even easier to manage, so unfortunetly I don't think they will care about pedals and throtles much.

If you ask me, I'd like to have choppers limited to joystick only, this way you create a realistic feeling in the MP game, where only those with sufficient skill (or hardware for that matter) can fly different things :P

There are manoeuvers you can't perform if flying with keyboard and mouse, such as rolls and loops in fixed wing aircraft, and pivoting in rotary winged aircraft.

If your joystick has a coolie hat, you can look around while still manoeuvering, which you can't do if using keyboard and mouse (well you can, but chances are you'll end up scattered across a field while trying)

Most, if not all respectable joysticks, have more than 2 buttons, which saves you having to scroll through your action menu or reaching over to press space, while evading a missile for example.

In my OFP squad, I am a designated pilot, and in all our serious games, I fly, therefore having my joystick on the table is not a problem, seeing as the keys I need to press on my keyboard are for less important tasks. In any case, it takes a lean to the right and a slight arching of my back to put my joystick away under the table. Hardly impractical...

I have to admit that I prefer flying rotary winged aircraft with mouse and keyboard rather than with my joystick, simply because I'm so used to it, although I don't have a problem using the joystick.

I have a need for pedals especially in choppers as its just an extra axis but i can understand from experience that the game engine might be limited in this area. I dont think full on sim aircraft are needed but any improvement in flight dynamics would be a big plus for game immersion and that includes passengers.

If its one stick only, cool, ill use it.

Ta for the replys.

Support for pedals would be great for choppers - far easier to handle that way.

I hope for a big improvement in aircraft dynamics. Though i doubt they will leave it untouched.

I've got a HOTAS Cougar as well so I'm lucky that I can use my rudder pedals and also play around with it's axis curves, though it would be nice to change the curves in game so I don't have to alt tab to load my helicopter or aircraft axis profiles separately.

Plus being a IL-2 Sturmovik + AEP + PF + Pe-2 and Lockon fanboy who play's on "full real" settings I hope that the flight models get a huge overhaul for Armed Assault.

Don't hold your breath guys remember Joystick support in OFP only came with patch 1.11 or 1.20 and after lots of requests.

Yeah but I'd like to think that 5 years on this support would come as standard. It would make the game appeal to a wider audience and while far off the scale we now have to compete with other titles such as BF2.

Id doubt it will be much different from OFP. I can only hope they'd have controls like in BF2.

Id doubt it will be much different from OFP. I can only hope they'd have controls like in BF2.

Same here. smile_o.gif

Aircraft controls in BF2 are simple, fun and faster than in OFP because the center point view(you can looks around by holding the CTRL).

Im not expecting a lot better flight dynamics until game2 now.

They better not make it like BF2, do you want everyone standing around waiting for choppers and TK'ing each other for them.

It should be close to realistic controls like a helo sim. Maybe something like the game gunship. The harder the better, only flyable with a joystick would be good.

Reading the demo reviews from the sources that received them, I think what was said so far was that the controls would be even simpler than OFP...

A lot of things have been said about the controls, even that they are too hard so we'll have to wait for the public demo ourselves.

The harder the better, only flyable with a joystick would be good.

I don't have a joystick, so it wouldn't be good. tounge2.gif

I'm in the HOTAS cougar camp myself.

I really hope they do support multi-axis sticks like the cougar, and make a flight and avionics model closer to longbow 2 than say the BF series.

I could never control the helos in BF with my cougar, but using a saitek p2500 did the trick, so I wouldn't want them using BF as an example. The planes, I felt, were particularly horrible. Anyway, I don't wanna step on any BF fans toes, so I'll leave it at that.

But, yeah, I really hope they implement a system that's HOTAS friendly and lets us fling these birds around with a control system that's as close to the real things as we can get with a sim.

Collective, cyclic, and rudder yaw controls on the HOTAS, ftw!

i believe some of you are thinking that added controls means you MUST have all the accessories for flight "simulation". and that you have to go out and get all sorts of stuff.

you dont have to. adding in multiple controllers allows you to use more input thru different devices at once, if you like, but is not needed. bare bones mouse/keyboard can still work .