Sign in to follow this  
majorsuomi

seagull mode

true but its different - I feel they spent too much tim eon silly things like and not enough on stopping bugs where I can run though walls and fences LOL

Seagull mode doesn't even work, I've never seen a Seagull capable of blasting up 1,000 feet in one second or exceeding mach2 without even trying.

More to the point the bloody thing doesn't know how to hover or turn. OFP is a collosal game and as such this mode is ridiculous, you can be waiting for hours for the other players to finish.

Maps are so big, why not allow dead people to be transported to some sort of shooting range where they can score points or race cars? In essense.. a game within a game until all are dead and you restart?

MArk, if u update to 1.10 ur seagull will know how to behave like a seagull and not like a gummy-ball.

Mark99 has a point, sometimes you have to wait so long. Even a chase-cam would be nice just to see what your teammates are doing.

When you die you should have a penalty of 10 to 15 sec. Then respawn 300 meters above the ground on a parachute with steering ability and land back in to action (or same minefield you leg was just blown off 30 sec ago).

if enemy is waiting for your parachute to land. just steer away from them. at 300 meters you can land 400 meters away from your last place of death. THats a long distance to cross in 30 sec. Lots of options.

"beam me up me scotty. I landed behind enemy lines"

Only in Mplayer games of course.. If penalty is too low for abuse make it 1 minute

"No i dont have a dad. I was born in Cyberspace"

No keep it at at least 5 minutes. Else the dead will come back early enough to have a very significant impact on battle.

OR

Perhaps have them respawned in a vehicle coming in from the edge of the map (or at least from the sea) to put them ashore before going back out? This would be away from the battle, and so the dead wouldn't affect it unless it dragged on and the sides would have had reinforcements anyway.

OR

Perhaps send them in a transport plane coming in from the mapedge, so they could chute down near the area? They would have arrived just like reinforcements would have. (except they know a bit more what's going on)

One little thing... If a person is in a very bad situation, gets killed and will be dumped back into the same situation? I hope the opponent team cannot win by killing this guy a lot of times then... That's why respawning back near a base or something is better.

Oh, and make respawning OPTIONAL.

I must say I enjoy the idea of the "eternal hunting grounds" - tank races, shooting contests, etc...

If there is a too low penalty for dying, there will be a lot of endless kamikaze-style attacks. This is what ruined my Delta Force Multiplayer Experience. I beg BIS not to let the same happen to OFP. People who ran gunning into enemy camps. Before they got shot, they usually disrupted a lot... But the worst problem was that it was constant. You killed one, but not before the next had arrived at the scene.

Oh and, if you couldn't wait until the match was over, quit it, and have someone message you by icq, aim, <your program here> when the match was over and you could rejoin.

Mark99 wrote something about a game in the game.

I got the idea myself when waiting in the lobby for a game to finish.

Why not add a SPACE INVADERS, PAC MAN, SCRAMBLE or royalty free clone to the lobby to play while doing all the waiting. In the early 80's this were advanced games, now its written in a day or two using C++. I'm sure source code can be downloaded or used for a small fee.

Another alternative feature for the lobby would be a sound effect and/or that the game window maximize when the current game completes (in case you are AFK or surfing).

Certa

@ MaHuJa:

resolutions for this cases can be published by the map-makers.

how about a respawn-limit? after 5 kills, there are no more lives for the player and he will not longer be able to fight in this round.

how about a base-protection-killzone? players are not able to came closer than 500 meters to the enemy start-base.

this must be done by the map-designers, this is not something you can blame on B.I.

dosent the onplayerrespawnassegull.sqs work ?

or some werid name like that

cant you write a script and throw that in your mission so people who die in you mission can have a chase cam or something.. /

just a thought.

Digging up kinda old threads eh, Certa? Just below 1 year of silence between MaHuIa's and Certas posts tounge.gif

Unlike your people, I enjoy seagull mode, mainly because I only play mulitplayer though a Lan with 1 or 2 people. Although I agree it is very annoying sometimes.

My choice would be a Designer based option. If the mission builder wanted to they could put in a "Second Wave" vehicle and wait for the dead to fill it before it heads to a pre determined reinforcement point. It is possible to do this now as the Sector Control missions show but it is very differcult and I would like to see new code put in to make it easy.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Azz @ Aug. 24 2002,15:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">dosent the onplayerrespawnassegull.sqs work ?

or some werid name like that

cant you write a script and throw that in your mission so people who die in you mission can have a chase cam or something.. /

just a thought.<span id='postcolor'>

There is a chase mode for OFP... check the spectator mode thread in the mission editing forum. It has to be implemented by the mission designer - so bad luck for old maps who aren't updated anymore.

Well I design a lot of missions for the server I admin. I am interested by the idea of having a "playground" of sorts for the dead players. I am pretty sure they are still "technically" in the game when as seagulls, the player vehicle is just changed from the soldier to the useless seagull. What I will do for all forthcoming coops is remove respawn, which I've always wanted to do. And have respawn set to an island. With guns and ammo and maybe some vehicles. Also a trigger that sets the rating of every player on that "playground island" to -100000 so they can have a deathmatch until the coop is finished.

I will also go back and edit most of my other coops I think. I've always hated respawn and this is a really good way for me to get rid of it.

biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lt_Damage @ Aug. 29 2002,23:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I will do for all forthcoming coops is remove respawn, which I've always wanted to do. And have respawn set to an island. With guns and ammo and maybe some vehicles. Also a trigger that sets the rating of every player on that "playground island" to -100000 so they can have a deathmatch until the coop is finished.<span id='postcolor'>

We got a mission like that on our server... basically (while the mission itself is fun) the respawn to the island sucks. The mission designer had to do it this as only one side was meant to respawn, but I usually just hit escape and wait in the lobby for the mission to finish (unfortunately not possible if you're the admin). It was fun for 1-2 times, but after that it was purely annoying. I had rather prefered to follow the original mission in some ways - either as bird or any other form as a spectator.

Make a go-kart track on one of the islands and I'll be a happy seagull. smile.gif

-=Die Alive=-