Sign in to follow this  
deanosbeano

character switching

''Gotta love that name Sniper Pilot, clearly a realism freak tounge2.gif''

Anyway, don't worry, ArmA will kick the arses of everything else on the market. With or without character switching. Or what ever other features they might copy from Super Mario Bros and Sonic the Hedgehog games.

Heh i put what i like together one day, and it turned out ive really havnt seen people use this name.....even searched google....so i put Sniper and Pilot together.....it used to be Pilot Sniper, but that was all obviously wrong!

I know this game is gonna be awsome, hell Ofp is the only game i am like...."hmmm WTF am i going to do today". And if we can port over the addons, that will make things all the better. I tell you this game is the only game that i know of with 5000+ Mods, addons, Islands, etc.

Add revive as an option. I have found this helps promote team work.

That is a.. game bug.. Theres no way to script bringing someone from being killed to alive again.. While techialy realistic, it made some stuff inpossible (The more-realistic-medical system was made pretty had by corpses being infedinftly dead), and some things hard (invicible units, say)

I hope there isn't just a "revive" option, the "heal at medic" was a good solotion, and stoped run-in-the-front-and-shoot-till-you-die-then-get-healed gameplay, which is good.. Buuut, being able to setdamage units that are dead would make adding such an option simple smile_o.gif (this addeventhandler ["killed",{[this] addoption ["revive","revive.sqs"]}] or something)

- Ben

I hope they dont put any type of revive in the game as it is just unrealistic. when you dead you dead i think this is the most realistic and it makes you a lot more cautious in your game play which in turn is more realistic. with regards to switching all they have to do is put in the option to disable that will please all concerned.

My comments about reviving weren't from a gameplay point, it was from an addon making/scripting point of view, it's a "bug" or "feature" that makes some things hard/impossible..

- Ben

When you think of it, 'heal at medic' is just as unrealistic. It's like all the medics have Goa'uld healing device or something that can almost instantly heal multiple gun shot wounds as if they were never there. Or grow a guy his legs back. I wish there were more physical effects simulated, like going blind and losing hearing.

Exactly.. I made a very similar point in one of the (around 5) ArmA feature discussion threads.. Thre are lots of things in OFP that are totaly unrealistic, but they make the game fun by making it.. more game like.. Things like the character switching, while not realstic, might add something good to the game, and isn't that far more important than adding another unrealistic feature to the game? wink_o.gif

- Ben

Quote[/b] ]might add something good to the game

But 'good' is a matter of taste, I think it would be good to have realistic medics (apply bandage, give cpr, take care of the wounded). Then the mission maker could add medics with magic healing powers through scripting if he sees it would fit the mission.

Quote[/b] ]might add something good to the game

But 'good' is a matter of taste, I think it would be good to have realistic medics (apply bandage, give cpr, take care of the wounded). Then the mission maker could add medics with magic healing powers through scripting if he sees it would fit the mission.

Exactly, it's a matter of taste.. But (sadly?), most people don't like completely realstic games, and games tend to be based around that.. I think OFP done the realsism/fun balance perfectly, and it's medics were verying on God-like (Just missed the power to revive the dead tounge2.gif)

Aslong as the ArmA medics dont just run around lobbing medipacks at people, I'll be happy...

- Ben

It would be pretty close to RL if the medic in ArmA would just apply the bandage on your wound so you dont bleed to death, but your aiming would still be affected by your wound (your iron sights would sway a little, if you were wounded in your arm, or you couldn't run if you were wounded in your leg etc.) Dont know if it would be a good thing regarding gameplay, though...

Quote[/b] ]Dont know if it would be a good thing regarding gameplay, though...

I think it would make players pay attention more and not try anything stupid so easily, thus making the game more realistic.

a lot of nice talk about realism...but then i look up and see the poll. character switching still popular. *sigh*

where have all the real ofp players gone? the ones that bought the game when it came out?

As long as it's better than Quake IV's let-me-stick-a-hose-kinda-thing-in-you-for-a-little-bit health regen thing, I'm sure it'll be fine. That was never much of an issue for me in original OFP, in any case.

@ Thrush - you've found one. I'm vehemently opposed, but hey, if it's disable-able...

I still voted for complete removal though.

Really, if its an option, its just that. You won't have to use it. You could just ignore it. Like how I've only ever used smoke shells once (Marking out an area for strafing) I just dont use them when I have them. Why not just ignore the option if its in the game?

So now that we know more about this feature... it seems that when you die you respawn into your squadmates. Now that really makes things appear in a new light.

This feature is really bad if you can't turn it off.

Maybe it's just at lower difficulty levels...

Where's the option for completely in?

Anyways I dont know why people complain about it so much. I guess you guys dont play a lot of COOP on multiplayer because this ISNT a new idea. Almost all COOP missions I played, or atleast GOOD ones had in game respawn. I think it's perfectly fine.

Oh and hey, if you guys dont like it, do it PERSONALLY. Tell yourself, if you die, just restart the mission. There...problems? No.

Quote[/b] ]Oh and hey, if you guys dont like it, do it PERSONALLY. Tell yourself, if you die, just restart the mission. There...problems? No.

I mightaswell just watch a few warmovies and dream about being there instead of buying the game.

Guest Ti0n3r

If it's included in the campaign it proves one thing; There will be no playable main characters, just nameless soldiers. That would be pretty bad in my opinion.

Quote[/b] ]Oh and hey, if you guys dont like it, do it PERSONALLY. Tell yourself, if you die, just restart the mission. There...problems? No.

I mightaswell just watch a few warmovies and dream about being there instead of buying the game.

Well then go ahead. This feature has already been in place since early Alpha builds of the game. Im sorry but the "die hard" community is not enough to sustain a company, so they need to expand the game so the learning curve isnt so big. They want other people to play it. Its called a business, and they need the money for Game 2 development.

So if you dont like it, don't buy the game. This little feature will bring in atleast 3-4 people for each "die hard" fan that quits.

If it's included in the campaign it proves one thing; There will be no playable main characters, just nameless soldiers. That would be pretty bad in my opinion.

I like the idea. I hated OFP main campaign. Your guy is some sort of superhero saving the island, thats retarded. Especially the Red Hammer campaign: "Oh, okay go attack a base by yourself, steal the helicopter, then drive back to same base, steal fuel truck, then fly the helo. Oh pick up some guys, oh and if its no trouble please destroy an entire convoy on the way there"

Please. I like the nameless soldier idea much better because in war, that's all you are.

Well then go ahead. This feature has already been in place since early Alpha builds of the game. Im sorry but the "die hard" community is not enough to sustain a company, so they need to expand the game so the learning curve isnt so big. They want other people to play it. Its called a business, and they need the money for Game 2 development.

So if you dont like it, don't buy the game. This little feature will bring in atleast 3-4 people for each "die hard" fan that quits.

I can probably accept this feature if mission makers can toggle an option that allows character switching off.

I guess I don't really mind about the campaign using this system as long as it can teach new players about the basics of Flashpoint.

I just don't want to jump into the mission editor, create a squad, and be forced to "respawn" as a teamate.

there's a reason why games dont make themselfs 100% realistic.

war isnt fun.

war isnt fun.

Pretty much. Look, sometimes I like the idea of dying and end of the mission. I.E. it was my fault I died. But other times, you simply die because of bad luck. You were doing everything right, perfect position, perfect ambush perfect everything. But you were the one unlucky casualty so you had to restart. That sucked. I like this new feature.

war isnt fun.

Pretty much. Look, sometimes I like the idea of dying and end of the mission. I.E. it was my fault I died. But other times, you simply die because of bad luck. You were doing everything right, perfect position, perfect ambush perfect everything. But you were the one unlucky casualty so you had to restart. That sucked. I like this new feature.

Point noted.

But I view training for war to be fun.

As long as AA has the features of VBS1 that I can try to simulate various tactical problems, then I'm happy with the engine. It's just that I hope mission makers will be able to force this feature off, which should be likely.

I'm optimistic that BIS took into account that some users will want to create linked missions with continuous characters that need to be preserved.

I'm not so happy about this "group respawn" thing in campaign, but i'll survive. We can allways load or restart the game, i guess. Now that i've mentioned that, will there be more than one save per mission?