Sign in to follow this  
b_ringer25

Iraqi Freedom Formations

Got a question for the war gurus. What formations would the USMC or the US Army would use in the desert. I am talking about Tank and APC wise. Honestly I would not know and I have found no information on this, maybe I am googling wrong. I would really like to know this?

I believe armor takes a line formation when in battles with other tanks and generally moves in a column (supported by mechanised infantry)

However, I'm no war guru so I could be very wrong.

I believe armor takes a line formation when in battles with other tanks and generally moves in a column (supported by mechanised infantry)

However, I'm no war guru so I could be very wrong.

yeah, but I don't like how OFP does the line, it is unrealistic, they all line up evenly...

Mission - Like desert storm see it kill it

Enemy - Infantry, Tanks/APC's

Terrain - Desert

Troops available - Whole division

Time - Nite (2003-2006)

Civilian considerations - No civ's should be present.

I'm guessing a wedge sorta.

Thats a company wedge with infantry (from the light armor ops FM). Should suit most sitatuons well, especially if you don't have a good idea of where the enemy is.

We just did these yesterday at field training. They are very effective and used the most. Line formations are usually perfect lines even in tactical mode.

When advancing, you attack in a line formation. But you dont just run towards the enemy. You run in pairs with your "buddy-partner". When you run, your body gets on his knee and secure area and shoot. You run about 5-10 metres infront of him, get on your knee... Then he advance. That way half your squad is allways shooting, and it keeps the enemy busy changing their aim all the time.

This tactic was first used by the british during the falklands war. I dont know what its called in english, but in danish its called "IBM".

When advancing, you attack in a line formation. But you dont just run towards the enemy. You run in pairs with your "buddy-partner". When you run, your body gets on his knee and secure area and shoot. You run about 5-10 metres infront of him, get on your knee... Then he advance. That way half your squad is allways shooting, and it keeps the enemy busy changing their aim all the time.

This tactic was first used by the british during the falklands war. I dont know what its called in english, but in danish its called "IBM".

From what I have been taught at Virtual USMC bootcamp it's called Fire Team rush using RTFA (Ready-Team-Fire-Assist) line formation.

Well, I don't know about armor since I'm infantry, not tanks. but a wedge or line would be an obvious formation to attack in.

Espectro in the Marines we call what you are describing as simply "Buddy rushes" or "fire team" rushes.

In such a maneuver all Marines get on line in staggered formation. Whether we hit the dirt "literally" and go prone or just take a knee depends on the situation or the choice of the squad leader.  When we decide to "rush" or assault the target; generally the rearmost line of marines get up and sprint forward of the advance line, then hits the dirt and continues to fire while now the former forward line but now rear line gets up to rush.

A tank battalion is right down the street from my unit, maybe I could ask about it for ya. My unit is heading to VA soon for some squad tactics training so I may not be able to find out for a while.

it's called pepperpotting

any body who dont get down gets shot.simple.Not to mention each unit has an SOP(standard op procedure)usaully rehersed at Ft Wherever on the Company street.Not to mention "actions on the Objective".many factors go into it.Like the trooper said METT-T.And whether or not enemy contact is expected.In the US Army you pair off in your FireTeams into "combat buddie" 2 man teams.you use Individual Movement Techniques, something akin to "bounding and overwatch" you fire and manuever on the objective(where ever the enemy happens to be at the moment).

I wish i could get the AI to do it to me in OFP.

Well, I don't know about armor since I'm infantry, not tanks. but a wedge or line would be an obvious formation to attack in.

Espectro in the Marines we call what you are describing as simply "Buddy rushes" or "fire team" rushes.

In such a maneuver all Marines get on line in staggered formation. Whether we hit the dirt "literally" and go prone or just take a knee depends on the situation or the choice of the squad leader.  When we decide to "rush" or assault the target; generally the rearmost line of marines get up and sprint forward of the advance line, then hits the dirt and continues to fire while now the former forward line but now rear line gets up to rush.

A tank battalion is right down the street from my unit, maybe I could ask about it for ya. My unit is heading to VA soon for some squad tactics training so I may not be able to find out for a while.

Samething in the Army, we call them by the same names and same tactics. We mostly prone whenever we train and of course take cover after every chance we get while firing.

Hi b_ringer25, I just got back after 2 weeks of training up in the hills of Virginia so I didn't get back to check til now.

I asked some of the senior guys in my unit about tank formations and the response was they're pretty much moved as big infantry. They'd most likely move in a column until just before contact and move into a large line or wedge formation.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Like I said, I'm a grunt, not tanks.

Isn't it called "bounding overwatch". Or does that not apply to large formations?

I know that doing the whole one fire team runs and the other covers is called bounding overwatch maybe its different for a pair of guys.

An armor on advance in a combat zone ussually takes a wedge formation. Wedge is a good compromise because all of the tanks can shoot in front of them relativley well and at least half of them can engage the enemy on the right and the other half can return fire to their left. Line formation is only taken when you know for sure that the enemy is right in front of you and you are about to assault it as it is the best formation for head on head charges as all the tanks can shoot anywhere in front of them, but it leaves the flanks very exposed as only one tank has unobstructed view of the left/right side. Echelon right/left formation is taken when passing a position to your right/left that you sucpect the enemy could prepeare an ambush in as it allows all of the tanks a clear view to their right/left. A column formation is only taken when the terrain does not allow any other formations or outside the combat zone.