Sign in to follow this  
brataccas

ofp.info Interviews BIS (many unseen pics!)

This interview actually made me worried. First of all, they didn't answer this question:

Onto physics, In OFP, objects, vehicles and aircraft tend to jump around when rammed by a vehicle or hit by a heavy weapon, soldiers are thrown high up in the air by explosions etc. Has this been fixed in ArmA? Will pulling, pushing or shooting objects affect them in a more physically realistic way? What about destroyed buildings and vehicles models?

Does this mean that collision detection still hasn't been fixed?

Then this question:

Q: Let's talk a bit about the AI, we know it is maybe one of the hardest thing to develop, but do you know yet if soldiers will be affected by suppression fire, will they try to find cover? Enter buildings? Will the loss of the squad leader make them behave differently for a while for example?

A (V.B): We are working hard on improving "individual" AI and some of these things are currently in testing. To tell the truth, some of these elements were already implemented in OFP, so now we just took them, cleaned them up and balanced them a bit to take into account the much more detailed environment we have in ArmA.

I don't know about you, but to me this sounds as though they've improved the AI in ArmA about as much as they've improved the AI in Elite, which isn't an awful lot.

And on top of that comes these two screens:

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/OFPInfoShot03.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/ArmA_Progress_11.jpg

Just look at the first one, see that background? What kind of countryside looks like that?

Let's just hope this is all work in progress. But they only got like what? Two or three, maybe four months before it goes gold. This doesn't really cut the cake for me. I mean, I'll still stand at the computer store doors before opening, freezing my balls of, just so I can be the first one to pick up a copy of ArmA. And I'll love it to death, and play it every day but this just isn't what I hoped for.

Sorry to kill the mood. sad_o.gif

Seeing all that, I hope the ARMA will not be the game as shown on the pics. It looks very unimpressive, especially the crappy lighting, totally unconvincing landscapes and object placement, no multpile guns, etc. We've been repeating this over and over and they still feed us with the same kind of bullshit. crazy_o.gif

that game looks rdy 2 me smile_o.gif

why have we seen no trailor ?

m8 if u like lights go b&q

this game is a milatry combat simulation

not 1 for paint and roofs that look nice u get us?

maybe not heheh

We have seen a trailer, but it looked pretty shit. sad_o.gif

looks like some kind of tank fire in its flashy bit lol

rofl.gif

LAWs aren't really used anymore. They have some new versions that were created for knocking holes in walls in Iraq, but as anti-armor weapons they're largely useless. If it's a modern day game I hope they change the LAW to an M136/AT4.

Maybe, but don't forget they need the LAW for the CWC campaign that we've been told was included... whistle.gif

Seriously guys, all the hopes for cool features and fixes that come from the fanboyish community ("oh they have plenty of time, this game will roxor", "wooo 1337, BIS know what they´re doing") sound pretty sad to me after reading this interview. BIS don´t manage to come up with anything really promising, in fact they don´t even try to.

We shouldn´t fly too high about this game.

Could the tank not be in the area of an explosion? Looking at the two different light effects on the turrent, a 2nd more powerful/closer light source than the sun is possibly present. There are a number of positive things in the article so stop picking on the bad ones or lack of info. I hope they get the new hit point system into the final release though. I was always told never judge a book by its cover, and in this day and age, never judge a game by the screenshots! Its still WIP so there is still hope! If these were pics of a game that had just gone Gold then panic would be warrented, but not yet.

just my 2cents smile_o.gif

We have seen a trailer, but it looked pretty shit. sad_o.gif

I wouln't call it a trailer, more like a unoficcial teaser (made by some magazine, not focussing on the storyline)

I really really hope bodys fly up in the air just like OFP (BIS pleasse! dont take away this bug/feature rofl.gif) its 1 reason what makes ofp so unique and fun tounge2.gif it would be a shame if it was taken away, and btw the soldiers face is VBS1 face (thx to delta-force for spotting wink_o.gif )

Could the tank not be in the area of an explosion? Looking at the two different light effects on the turrent, a 2nd more powerful/closer light source than the sun is possibly present. There are a number of positive things in the article so stop picking on the bad ones or lack of info. I hope they get the new hit point system into the final release though. I was always told never judge a book by its cover, and in this day and age, never judge a game by the screenshots! Its still WIP so there is still hope! If these were pics of a game that had just gone Gold then panic would be warrented, but not yet.

just my 2cents smile_o.gif

Could be. Possibly. Maybe. rofl.gif

Come on, every time someone dares to post some criticism, it will be less than a minute until someone else drops in to put lipstick on the pig. You don´t really think it is an explosion tossing that white glimmer on the tank, do you?

i wonder: how does for example insurgency mod look and sound so awesome and promising, with all developers creating it in their freetime, while ArmA "apparently" turns more and more into a lukewarm re-release?

[/bashing]

Come on, every time someone dares to post some criticism, it will be less than a minute until someone else drops in to put lipstick on the pig. You don´t really think it is an explosion tossing that white glimmer on the tank, do you?[/bashing]

Basicly OFP that goes Mach 3 on high-end hardware? also, don't forget most of the improvements are under the hood.

I dont see your problem smile_o.gif .

However, what I don't get is...

Image1

"Omfg that looks amazing! please have my ana<span style='color:red'>(...)</span>ginity"

Image2

"Omfg look how unrealistic the T72's behind the oil pump move! this sucks!"

Seriously, am I the only one that can't stand this? sad_o.gif

juice who cares i want the game as bad as the next man

but if the hairy armed men at aa say we respect that its not lipstick its life gl bis

its coded in stonned but basicaly

armed assault will be out when its

rdy

I think it looks fairly good, althought i´m a bit disappointed that swimming won´t be implemented.

i´m reading your post again and again but i have no clue what you are talking about. Sorry.

Come on, every time someone dares to post some criticism, it will be less than a minute until someone else drops in to put lipstick on the pig. You don´t really think it is an explosion tossing that white glimmer on the tank, do you?[/bashing]

Basicly OFP that goes Mach 3 on high-end hardware? also, don't forget most of the improvements are under the hood.

I dont see your problem.

/\ That was the part ment for you, the stuff below that was simply a general comment.

In short: You're getting OFP that will run like it's chased by the devil himself, with improved multiplayer, and you're not happy? I don't get your point wink_o.gif .

Arma Blackhawk

Looks like there co-pilots now. wink_o.gif That'll make some people happy

Never seen the Gunner position on the OFP UH60 w FFAR's? wink_o.gif

shit i forgot that. I havnt play with helis in OFP in a while and I forgot wink_o.gif

Looks like there co-pilots now. wink_o.gif That'll make some people happy

There always was on that version(FFAR), the MG version didnt have the co-pilot smile_o.gif

@orange juice all i was doing was making a suggestion. I wasnt trying to how you put it, put lipstick on the pig. Im not going to get into an argument over a screenshot as it is pointless but looking at it yeah I think there is a second light source causing that smile_o.gif

And if i am totally mistaken then, shit something should be done(probably doing/done so already) rofl.gif

The main thing about ArmA isnt graphical update, thats a bonus, its how it runs on modern machines and the engine improvements it offers!

@ Mar. 04 2006,02:33)]I think it looks fairly good, althought i´m a bit disappointed that swimming won´t be implemented.

No swimming or jumping... Guess Itweas will have to create or port his ninja over to ArmA... rofl.gifyay.gif

It looks very nice to me, of course the overdone light reflection on the tank just need a bit of tweaking, but that should fixed before release, i have complete confidence in BIS coders and testers for this, as it is just some fine tuning to do.

From what is displayed, it is already way better than what i can see on my PC monitor when running OFP and that's all i ask.

As long as the engine improvements are as good as advertised, as long as the new mission editing commands and features are allowing even more creativity to be expressed, as long as the AI and the animations are better than what we have seen so far, all is so far so good for me.

I hope the sounds will be as nice as what i heard on a video from someone (maxqubit i think) captured from a mass scale mission on his xbox, somewhere in the videography thread.

Good job OFP.info team for the interview, thanks BIS for taking the time to answer some questions.

Arma Blackhawk

Looks like there co-pilots now.  wink_o.gif  That'll make some people happy

...and what about the chinook shadow in the wall?? biggrin_o.gif

...i think that is hanging on the tree