Sign in to follow this  
matt54

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

I think its safe to say RAW has gone gold. Bo gave some less than subtle hints at some 4-day holiday with Champagne over on gr.net.

A new preview is up at IGN. More food for thought for the skeptics.

Overall I felt more than cheated with the 360 version as it sucked, and I MEAN SUCKED, it gets boring after like 30+ trys of doing ONE mission and getting shot in the foot continuosly and dieing, let along there was some funny fire geometrys in the game and each window showed EXACTLY the SAME reflection.

:/ The whole game felt weird to me I don't even know what its about, some sort of war in Mexico or something. I'm in the 3rd mission but haven't played it for a long while.

A new preview is up at IGN. More food for thought for the skeptics.

They have lots of low quality pics there and the low rez filters for distant objects give it a GTA'ish kind of look, thats problably as good as it will look on my PC but the gameplay and scale should make it well worthy, i just hope i can push the resolution above 1024x768, this game should grow with the new hardware smile_o.gif .

In a game like GRAW which seems to take place in a city entirely, do you really need maps larger than 1x1km? Even if the PC version maps are still smaller than OFP, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Still, I'll wait for my guinea pigs (i.e. you guys smile_o.gif ) to try it out before I decide to buy or not. I've been burned by games too many times to be in the front rank anymore.

Still, I'll wait for my guinea pigs (i.e. you guys smile_o.gif ) to try it out before I decide to buy or not. I've been burned by games too many times to be in the front rank anymore.

lol, amen... I've gone back to playing some of the 'classics' in my collection rather than buy anything new...

Red Alert

Roller Coaster Tycoon

Theme Hospital

good times, good times tounge2.gif

lol, amen... I've gone back to playing some of the 'classics' in my collection rather than buy anything new...

Red Alert

Roller Coaster Tycoon

Theme Hospital

good times, good times  tounge2.gif

I want to go back and play my classics but I am having trouble:

Total Annihilation: Brother has the CD plus it crashes in XP a lot

Warcraft II: Can't get it to work

Red Alert: No idea where its at

Close Combat 5: Won't work

Delta Force 2: Works but official servers are down and most user created maps aren't the kind I like.

SimCity 3000: No idea where the disk is at.

I am considering buying GRAW but I am not sure. Sounds good but the last Ghost Recon game I bought isn't all that great.

XP for once has a brilliant little built in help to make older games work... for those that crash alot/dont want to work just right click on their exe, select properties and choose the compatability tab... then set it to the OS it was designed for...

if you've lost red alert, EA has recently released the entire command and conquer series (including generals and the addon to it) on one DVD release... only Å26.99 from gameplay:

Linky

Pack Contains:

* Command & Conquer (Aug. 1995)

* Command & Conquer The Covert Operations (April 1996)

* Command & Conquer Red Alert (Oct. 1996)

* Command & Conquer Red Alert The Aftermath (Sept. 1997)

* Command & Conquer Red Alert Counterstrike (Mar. 1997)

* Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun (Aug. 1999)

* Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun Firestorm (Feb. 2000)

* Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 (Oct. 2000)

* Command & Conquer Yuri's Revenge (Oct. 2001)

* Command & Conquer Renegade (Feb. 2002)

* Command & Conquer Generals (Feb. 2003)

* Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour (Sept. 2003)

awesome value for money and i assume they've also fixed the older games to work on XP!

Can't remember if it was Garmageddon 2 or Simcity 3000 but it didn't work, despite the compatability thing... well neither do work atm...

the compatability feature isnt perfect by no means, but its deffinatly the first solution to try... if that fails to work, there are many many sites that list work arounds to get older games working on XP.

and i've just realised how badly offtopic i've dragged things. Appologies.

Demo is out, check your favorite news site. Report impressions back here, my guinea pigs! smile_o.gif

UBI's Forum for downloading links wink_o.gif

Minimum requirements are:

-Pentium IV 2Ghz

-Windows XP/2000

-NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6/7 or ATI® Radeon® 9600-9800/X

-1024 MB RAM and 5 GB of hard drive space

Incredible smart AIs - Goes right in to the fire and they never seem to stay where they are suppose to be.

Awesome graphics - 1024 x 800 with a FPS of 20-30 (Nvidia 7800 GS 256MB)

Well made tatical map - Tricky thing to find a sutible spot for the AIs to move to, otherwise they just stand in the middle of the road or start running around.

Otherwise it's ok smile_o.gif  confused_o.gif  sad_o.gif

EDIT: And yeah, I do only focus on the bad things but this demo was a total downer.

Love the tactical gameplay, accessorizing the weapons and atmoshpere.

Hate the retarded AI teammates who blindly go into harms way without even returning fire and never walks to the exact position I point out (they prefer standing in places where they get easily spotted or shot at). Also hate the framerate.

For some odd reason my fps is a little bit better when everything is maxed out instead of going easy on the shadow, effects and bloom detail. Still not very good framerate at 1280x1024.

Sys: P-IV 3GHz, 2GB DDR400, GF6800GT.

I'm going to buy it for sure. Love coop gameplay and the whole campaign is coopable.

Played a few minutes and I must say, it "feels" good.

For some reason I can't get AA working.

Frames are ok, but could be higher for smoother gameplay.

(A64 3000+(@2300), 2GB Ram, GF6800GT, Audigy2)

Will play it a bit more tomorrow, but I think this game will be worth buying.

MfG Lee

For some reason I can't get AA working.

Thats because this game supports true HDR (32-bit). No graphics card can use AA with 32-bit HDR and this demo forces HDR on your card.

It will probably be a toggleable option in the full game and disabling it would probably increase framerate by ~50-60%.

I played the demo some more and the more I play it the more I like it.

I think this will live up to what GR1 had and then some. I'm excited about how the UAVs will work.

Had some lucky moments a few times.

One time I ordered my gunner to cover an open area while standing next to a corner of some building. Had my sniper a little further back and my assult guy standing by next to the gunner. I had position myself at the opposite end of the same building. I ordered my assault guy to advance to the nearest coverable object. The moment he ran past that corner and out in the open 2 tangos opened up on him allmost infront of me. I advanced around my corner and saw the two tangos no more than 20 meters away facing away from me. I double-tapped them with the SCAR-thingy (7.62) at point blank and my assault guy arrived safely to his first cover. Then I pulled the rest of the team in and confirmed the area was clear.

Coolest thing is that what took the longest time to do was my brain thinking out the approach. This map-screen is actually user-friendly.

Urgh, i missed it and i dont have much time for it atm. Dont think my old toaster will handle it so well.

Is the city big?

Shadow has pretty much summed up all my points about the game smile_o.gif, i also got a slight boost in FPS when i turned ALL the settings up? hmm strange..also is MP LAN only? from what i saw it was.

Just a question, does the game still contain the Sucky XM8? Or is the SCAR now the Advance Warpig's weapon of choice?

im going to download this later and try it out, and have a question, it says that you can play coop in lan, but can you use something like BattleLAN or Hamachi to play it over internet? i guess it would work cus thats LAN

peace out

zigzag

Just a question, does the game still contain the Sucky XM8?  Or is the SCAR now the Advance Warpig's weapon of choice?

The XM8 is in the selection for primary plus as a compact-version as a secondary. SCAR-H and SCAR-L is in there as primaries too. I never remember which is which but the 7.62 variant with a foregrip and scope is a nice combo. Dont understand why they put in grenadelaunchers in this game.

I can toss grenades farther than those launchers.

Quote[/b] ]also is MP LAN only?

Yep, but you can use Hamachi to host it online. Hamachi is like how Kali works. Any LAN-only game can be played online.

With SCARs, L stand for "Light" and H for "Heavy". wink_o.gif

Hmmm maybe I'll try the demo... a good torture for my machine. confused_o.gif

I really, really like this. Very intense! The stupid AI of both enemy and my own squad is a wee bit annoying though, but it has saved my hide more than once.

I couldn't play it.

On my AMD4000, 7800GT it's too slow even at 1074x768