Sign in to follow this  
AngusSingle

Naming a MOD

Right so, ths year I've got alot of time on my hands. I've decided to fill some of it with helping to create my own mod. This mod will be tightly based around the May 6, 1980, Seige of the Iranian Embassy in London. After looking for models from other games, I turned up broke. Anyway the seige lasted 6 days. So these are the names I've thought of.

6DOT - 6 days of Terror

6DOF - 6 Days of Fear

Princess Gate - (named after the road it happened in)

I'm blank now.

Some of the events of the seige would be hard to replicate in ofp, such as the fire casued by the SAS grenades and being able to fast rope down the side of the building, whilst being able to fire. Also the surroundings. If this mod should get off its feet, I would like there to be a sort of half arsed attempt at making the surrounding buildings such as royal albert hall and the shady plaza out the back. Also you could place up walls so when you ontop of the embassy, you can't see any water. I know this seems like a shit load of work but I've got the time.

If I get any good suggestions, I'll modify the topic of the thread and we'll shoot from there.

There are 2 or 3 SAS mods in development, why not help them/use their stuff?

The SAS: Scud Hunters mod even already has made a rough model of the Iranian embassy in London.

I rekon he gave up after most people gave him grief

becouse making mod should start from making some addons first, not thinking up name for it.

Sysdevia's failure was more than sure after his first post, he just needed some time to realise that.

Hard work inspires, endless talking doesnt...

Well, Extraction has kindy permitted my to use his unfinnished SAS units, and also it is credited to Laser too. So basicly, with these already being in the works, (eg modifying the config, textures and slight model work) we have a great start for just one day. As of now the mod will work under no name until we are sure that the mod will be worth the effort. I thank the community for not shunting me first off, thankyou for hearing my opinions and idea. I may speak to the maker of the generic european resistance or possibly retexture a series of middle-eastern units in order to keep the Iranian ethnic look.

How 'bout compiling two? Princess Gate - 6 Days of Fear. I personally don't like the word 'terror' but that's just me.

No problem. Looking forward to playing your mod smile_o.gif

I rekon he gave up after most people gave him grief

I reckon he gave up after people realised he'd lied about his credentials, and he realised they'd realised. smile_o.gif

To be honest, i think the mod you are thinking of making would be a lot of hard work for a very limited payback - 5 days of waiting, then a few minutes of action, if you see what i mean. You need to think of something to broaden out the action. I'd say make a rainbow 6 style mod with lots of scenarios, but OFP really isnt the game engine for it.......

Don't want to nay say, but its best you get the harsh reality sorted out before you put too much time into a mod.

Sounds like a good idea, but with no disrespect to you or any other mod members, i think people "underestimate" the term "MOD", from what you have said, i cant see it being a mod, more of a collection of addons. Do you plan to edit the "game play"? Do you plan to edit the 1.96 game play and revamp it with scripts, anims, and visual effects?

As thats what i see a "mod" as , its a team, dedicated to making a new "gameplay" experience, and changing everything from the ground up to acheive mod status?

Again i don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone out there in the ofp community, but if your going to declare that you are going to make a mod, you must be 100% dedicated, as time and time again i have seen "news" about new mod teams starting up, and then never hearing from then again. Just make sure you have the time to "deliver" what you have suggested.

But then again, what do i know?, we are all here because we "want" to do this, so no one is stopping you apart from yourself and the willingness to learn smile_o.gif

Good luck

Smiley

do we really need another "MOD" that won't EVER be finished...how bout concentratin on mission making with the HUNDREDS of addons we have that have never been used in a single mission....

Sounds like a good idea, but with no disrespect to you or any other mod members, i think people "underestimate" the term "MOD", from what you have said, i cant see it being a mod, more of a collection of addons. Do you plan to edit the "game play"? Do you plan to edit the 1.96 game play and revamp it with scripts, anims, and visual effects?

As thats what i see a "mod" as , its a team, dedicated to making a new "gameplay" experience, and changing everything from the ground up to acheive mod status?

Again i don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone out there in the ofp community, but if your going to declare that you are going to make a mod, you must be 100% dedicated, as time and time again i have seen "news" about new mod teams starting up, and then never hearing from then again. Just make sure you have the time to "deliver" what you have suggested.

But then again, what do i know?, we are all here because we "want" to do this, so no one is stopping you apart from yourself and the willingness to learn smile_o.gif

Good luck

Smiley

We there your right in some respects, you really couldn't call this a total modification such as ECP or FDF. Simply its nothing more than a "pack" of addons that work together to re-created the seige. Point taken mate, thanks alot. And dont worry mate, at this point you we're old offending me biggrin_o.gif

That's exactly the reason I wouldn't release my "mod":

a) cause it's not really a mod (although I'm a good config-editor, sifting through the root config for unit replacements = nah uh).

b) noone could run it.

c) it would be a bastardised smack up of FFUR, ECP and EECP with stolen ACU textures pasted on it.

So I just enjoy using it myself!

@DB-ERAUPilot - I'm willing to do one, if you're willing to download 1.8GB of my altered addons!  smile_o.gif

-EDIT- That's an awesome name for my mod!

Operation: Collection of Addons + ECP

Mod.jpg

The bottom line is: MOD = modification, not just addons + mission. (I should teach maths).

Righto, as of late, I've been working on some LOD issue associated with Extractions + Lasers SAS Troops. I'm currently making a embassy model in a CAD program called Microstation. I have also chosen to learn how to edit the GUI and I might also try to extend into other aspects, but I'm trying to not get side tracked at the moment.

Also if its tearing you up inside that I used the word "mod" incorrectly then I apoligize...

Haha, mate - I wasn't insulting you, I was insulting myself, calling my little personal OFP thingy a mod.

You're fine! Keep up the good work (some screenies would be nice).