Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

Amazing new fire and smoke effects by john

Huh, I only copied to Dta, Res/Dta and Res/HTWL/Dta. That's another 100mb saved. I had no problems installing, but aye, they do look a bit - flashy. Looks almost perfect with secAcctime 0.25, so maybe you could make it 4 times slower or something if it's possible?

Well, i figured out that when i use drop-command-smoke with is set to move and fade slowly it lookds almost perfect, but i dont know how to change the default (grenade)explosions huh.gif

Well, you can add a killed-eventhandler in the config of the units, but i'm not sure if that removes the default BIS-effect wich is know kinda screwed confused_o.gif

Oh well, my own smoke effects look great now! thumbs-up.gif

I'm at work so I can't check this out, but.... I don't get it, he replaced a couple textures in the DTA files and smoke and fire look like this (with some issues of course). How the heck does the smoke get so big and chunky then. I would think that everything would be the same size with with different textures... Are their config changes too?

well ive got it to work but i dont really like it. Doesnt seem to impress me.

Not trying to say your work is bad its very good just the actual thing doesnt seem to impress me as much as the pictures did.

Maybe in a later version

Good work though it does look good

Nice hi-res smoke and fire effects. Really add a lot to combat photography images and such, but due to the "blinking" effect with the texture transitions, they're not all that practical for "action sequences" (i.e. proper game-play/videos). Nice job.

By the way, to fix the "blinking" all that is required is to start off with using just one texture, and modify it slightly (until you have 30 or so subtly different textures), and then try those. The transitions should be less noticable, and the whole thing should run a lot smoother with a lot less blinking (theoretically).

I double that. Looks bloody good when in a single frame (=paused) image, but high-quality crap during normal playing. But, yet good job, just keep working on it. I don't mean to offend anyone, just giving constructive comments, that might be a tad harsh though. wink_o.gif

Definately worth an addon for the combat photography thread. Hopefully it will make its way soon towards a better version which I'm sure will happen eventually.

I'll post some more screenshots for everybody with this addon too.

As you can read here you can see that we forced him to mess around with the config.cpp so the transitions should be less noticeable...  smile_o.gif

Which is more or less possible, after a few minutes of changing values i got it a bit better, far from perfect though....

Glad to see John is paying attention to this and working to make it better, with time I am sure these effects will look flawless smile_o.gif

hmm, I'm afraid slowing it down won't really fix the problem. It seems to me the sprites are just too different, so you'd still see the transition, just slower. Anyways, I don't really know what I'm talking about, and I hope I'm wrong, because if the transitions are fixed this will be the best graphical update since dxdll.

Slowing down does not make it perfect, true, but a whole lot better. Of course, as Jackal suggested, a crapload of textures between the transitions would make it damn nice I thinks.

'Ere's a pic of the smokes though, and I think dark thick smoke like that in the picture look quite nice in-game too, not nearly as blinking as the fires.

smokey0vo.th.jpg

Large (1024x768)

The picture itself is totally unedited as it's supposed to show the nice effects in game, not the nice effects I can add with Photoshop tounge2.gif

i cant find any place to d/l this addon from.. the posted link(s) have corrupted files..

i would really like to see this new addon.

i cant find any place to d/l this addon from.. the posted link(s) have corrupted files..

i would really like to see this new addon.

Ofp.info link works fine (if not maybe you need to update your winrar?)

Anyways as this is released it needs moving to A&M:C smile_o.gif