Sign in to follow this  
guyguy1

Body Armor

Body armor isn't a bad idea but it should be a seperate item and not part of the unit itself and should be be "equipable" like the NV goggles and rifle,and just like everything else should add extra weight to the unit reducing it's speed.

definitely a good idea

cool idea with wearable body armor , maybe having to remove or equip yourself with the armor would be a cool feature but i doubt it could be made into arma, more like game 2. But very cool feature anyways thumbs-up.gif

yeah i really wanna see that feature and i dont see why BI wouldn't incorporate it into arma...it shouldnt take too long & much more realistic

I agree with those that would like to see realistic armor modeled in ArmA, either by BI or Mod Developers; it would however require a rather precise location specific damage model in the game to work well and realistically.

Initially the reaction to armor would be to spam, but that should reveal itself to be evel less effective then in an equal game with no armor -- the ultimate outcome should be very tactical with realistic firefights, more attention given to precision, aimed, semi-automatic fire and marksmanship.

body armor would make fighting against Insurgents without body armor or civilians alot more realistic, 1 shot in chest and they are down and out, 1 shot on you would push you back, drop your weapon maybe, stunned for a second Then you steadily return to action.

I agree with those that would like to see realistic armor modeled in ArmA, either by BI or Mod Developers; it would however require a rather precise location specific damage model in the game to work well and realistically.

Initially the reaction to armor would be to spam, but that should reveal itself to be evel less effective then in an equal game with no armor -- the ultimate outcome should be very tactical with realistic firefights, more attention given to precision, aimed, semi-automatic fire and marksmanship.

Doesn't OFP already have hit detection? I mean when you get shot in the head then it's an auto kill,if the legs get shot then you lose footing.I think that qualifies as hit detection.

One other element I'd like to see is the helmet being part of the "equipable armor" element thus also having the option to remove and put it on. Because bisically it is an armor. Wearing one would say reduce the probability of a successful headshot by 25% maybe. The benifits of not wearing one would be realistic as well and you will fatigue less carrying lesser weight, like in real life.

Doesn't OFP already have hit detection? I mean when you get shot in the head then it's an auto kill,if the legs get shot then you lose footing.I think that qualifies as hit detection.

All FPS games have "hit detection", what many do not have and far to many serious realism titles lack for is a precision location specific damage system that would allow for the realistic and precise demarkation of soft targets uncovered by high performance body armor...

Few/no games have anything like a per-poly hit detection, and instead use rather simplistic bounding boxes that are simple boxes that slide over the player model as it moves.

The up-side is even a simple bounding box LSD system can be made to work really well, but it requires some careful attention to design, and a lot of practical play testing... Making it perform as a precision LSD system with realistic scale performance body armor is another story -- you'll have to buy our game to get that...

Soldier Of Fortune 2 has the best hit detection and bullet penetrating effects I've yet seen in any f.p.s. Aliens vs Predator also has neat ones but too bad you can't marvel for too long at the damage done cause the bodies/body parts quickly disappear.lol

b.t.w. what is this "our" game you are referring too?

Soldier of Fortune 2... I remember getting a burnt copy of that. It was a great pity that you could finish the whole game using the "leaning" cheat, I found that out in the first level. biggrin_o.gif

I agree with body armor being wearable along with lots of other stuff. I want my natural flora camo, face paint, clothes, backpack, inventory space, webgear not to be "superglued" onto my character. If they are changable in a mission then a lot of cool things can be done.

I dont if this was mentioned in this thread (because i didnt read fully :P ) but ArmA should support Bodyarmor. Depending on the infos released, which claimed that will be a material class added to the modellconfig, it should be possible to define a selection as "Kevlar" and make some parts of the soldier "bulletproof", but i dunno how good this will work.