Sign in to follow this  
luemmel

Join in progress (JIP) and possible problems

Damn you Placebo ! biggrin_o.gif

I just got a really weird error message that said:

"Died"

ahhh

I didn´t die so I found out that you were merging the threads while I posted. Weird.

Anyway here is my thoughts:

Quote[/b] ]Can you imagine being followed by all the animals of the game whilst trying to sneak up on an enemy position!?

Well I guess you should be able to turn that on or off in mission setup or like in the OFP slot system you could have a new section with "playable" animals.

It´s just for those maps that take ages , allow no JIP for gameplay reasons and unless BIS implements some mini games like chess, galaga or something like that in the lobby it would be neat to allow the mission creator to embedd playable animals. Of course they would have no way of ingame communications as animals hardly speak smile_o.gif

If that got implemented right I guess it could be big fun.

Your objectives:

- breed

- feed

- hunt

- hide

and scare some of the players to death biggrin_o.gif

Seriously I like the idea and I don´t think it´s sooooooo

hard to implement and definately would be a nice addition for those who are still forced to wait as JIP is disabled for missions reasons.

*knock, knock* Any BIS god reads this ?

Guest Ti0n3r
...and unless BIS implements some mini games like chess, galaga or something like that in the lobby...

Hey, that's a great idea! wow_o.gif

Make the screen grow darker the farther away from other alive players the animal is wink_o.gif

My personal take on Join in progress.

1:- Lack of it stopped the original Flashpoint ever reaching its online potential for huge battles

2:- After playing Novalogis Joint operations for a number of years where this is a common feature there will be no problem as long as the server has time penalty options for those who do want to switch sides ( in JO you can set this up as high as you like on a server )

3:- Squadmembers will want to fight together, let them, its why they become a squad in the first place. Completely stopping JIP/ chnging sides will lessen the appeal for large squads to come to the game.

4:- Idiots are everywhere and in every game. You will always get the team killer, the run n gunner, the lonewolf and the "champion" who always wants to be on the winning side . BIS need to induce penalties to discourage the behaviour. Sure they will moan and complain but are they the sort of player you want in whats basically a very team orientated millitary simulator? Mostly those types are of the short attention span variety and basically move the the current new game and move on as soon and the next " must have" title arrives.

5:- Posible solution - the Squal controll script idea from original Flashpoint was a brilliant idea, this should be built apon, but controlled by a BIS database for east/west squads.

A Squad can register with BIS, and BIS will assign that squad to fight permantly on the east or west side online. this way there will be no side switching as you will always fight for your assigned side. The servers need to be smart enough to place players on the correct side when they join. Ungroupped servers should be an option where the permanent east/west can be dissabled by the host.

Basically, if you want the massive warfare potential to be a reality, JIP is an absalute necessity. You think 150 players will sit in a lobby or spectate for hours while a map ends ? I think not.

There's no doubt about it. The MP campaign we did with 30+ participant was partly nightmare, and lack of JiP was undoubtefully one of the core issue. Loosin 1 member of the team in a confrontationnal coop mission, and that member can't come back, is a huge issue.

I agree with poster above. JIP is needed for multiplayer success. For hardcore player like me (Played CTI for 6+ hours one mission) it might be ok if no JIP but for majority players being raised by games like CS, BF2, etc - it is a necessity.

well pure speculation ,but i have thought of some worries i had when i saw this, so might as well note them.

1.in ofp now ,there is a massive lagspike when people join ,so we lock server ,so jip not gonna happen.

2.there is a massive syntax/report when people have missing stuff

3.cough tkc w#n#ers cough

4.monitoring a 200 player match,co op etc and watching for the knobhead who keeps re joining under diff name tag and spamming.

none of the above are massive problems until you times them by 200.

this is neither a whinge /suggestion or demand, merely my thoughts.

Lol is this a game community, or are you guys some kinda armish people?...

You seem to be extremely frightened about OFP (ArmA) attracting new players....as if you think ArmA should only be developed for you, the hardened OFP veterans who made it to go 5 years with ofp...

You have bad feelings on strangers joining your community...?

OFP needs more people in order not to die... The "old" ones will al leave after a while and without fresh wind this is gonna be boring anyways...

I see another development. Usually, when I start MPing a game (early after it was released), I rule any server, because all people are still nubs, since the game isnt out for long.

Of course there will be nubs messin up the games, but after a while they will have learned and are able to play properly....

and after a few months up to a year 95% of newcomers, and nubs, will be eliminated and everyone has either left community or plays well...

What wouldve you said if when u first played OFP ppl said "we dont want you...you are a nub an messin up our game..."

Something I experienced myself, though i consider myself as OFP fan since it was released...but i never got hold in MP, also because of its difficult standards...

See it as our mission to bring OFP out to everyone in the world, to spread the religion of sim-shooters*Flag waving in background*....okay, I'll stfu wink_o.gif

No, its important we get new men....This way also BIS benefits and can develop with even more financial abilities...

You should be lucky about nubs, you can own them :P

To remain serious, this is the time where OFP leaves the world of SP and CONTINUES its travel to ultimate MP experience, which wasnt any possible if you werent a heavily organized clangamer.

And even on LANs bugs killed any session...or maybe sum nub died too early and whined about waiting aso...

IMHO it's not the behavior that makes me wonder, it's that OFP is not the harder game to cheat ever, far from it

Don't really see how this got anything to do with JIP huh.gif

And yes, many of OFP players now days got problems with noobs, because OFP ain't like any other game. In most other games you play team deathmatch etc, in OFP you play coop, and in OFP you play with less players...1 guy who tries to ruin the game will have a much easier time doing it than in games like CoD or CS. Players that's not very good ain't a problem, the problem is players that just wants to fuck up the game.

In the end, I never liked playing OFP in public...I keep to playing OFP with my mates on our server, so we got control. That's also why I want JIP, as long as the admin can control it. That way we don't have to restart when people lose connection, we don't have to restart if someone drops in late etc. But at the same time, you have to be able to control it, so you can let the right persons join, while you keep unwanted people out.

Quote[/b] ]Don't really see how this got anything to do with JIP huh.gif

Its about the ofp community disliking a positive development of their game, because improvement could ruin their small world belonging to noone but the involved.

It will crush with ArmA anyways, keeping it from evolving won't work. JIP is great imho as it adds greater playability, comfortability, and therefore, it will be easier for newcomers to learn and get into the matter of the game...

I love the whole JIP feature, it will really help you get back into the server and continue a long haul Cti mission after your ofp crashed or something biggrin_o.gif

Well maybe there will be more mp options for server admins and mission makers to play with ?

One of my most annoying parts when playing online on servers is that people turn off 3rd person view wich seriously makes driving vehicle less fun when you can't watch the vehicles fight to climb mountains and stuff. Maybe there will be a way to make some penalty stuff to Tk'ers and people who switch side? I know Call of duty 2 makes you have 1 more death in the stats list biggrin_o.gif

Well i know this could upset people alot but if you whine alot about tk'ers maybe you should be able to set friendly fire to off. But i don't know if that is doable in ofp r tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Don't really see how this got anything to do with JIP huh.gif

Its about the ofp community disliking a positive development of their game, because improvement could ruin their small world belonging to noone but the involved.

It will crush with ArmA anyways, keeping it from evolving won't work. JIP is great imho as it adds greater playability, comfortability, and therefore, it will be easier for newcomers to learn and get into the matter of the game...

ppl in the community doesn't dislike development, they just question if it is more positive than negative, and what the positive/negative sides can be, and the possible solutions to problems. If somebody says that JIP will possibly cause problems and lists things he/she feels will be bad, that person only posted his opinions on what negative things JIP may bring into the game. And if that person lists i.e "3.cough tkc w#n#ers cough" or something similar aimed at noobs, that doesn't mean he/she doesn't want new people to play the game, but that he/she doesn't like that the development may cause these new people to cause problems easier.

Quote[/b] ]Well maybe there will be more mp options for server admins and mission makers to play with ?

One of my most annoying parts when playing online on servers is that people turn off 3rd person view wich seriously makes driving vehicle less fun when you can't watch the vehicles fight to climb mountains and stuff. Maybe there will be a way to make some penalty stuff to Tk'ers and people who switch side? I know Call of duty 2 makes you have 1 more death in the stats list biggrin_o.gif

I really hope BIS lets both the mission maker and the admin have a lot of control over JIP. If you got a good game of CTI going on with 5-6 of you mates, it's annoying to crash after 3 hours and not be able to join again, but then again, it'll be a arse if you unlock the server to let someone who crashed in, and then you suddenly got 5-6 others joining too...though BIS probably already got that figured out...

And BIS should enable some sort of option to have 3rd person view only when in a vehicle...I hate driving/flying in 1st person...

And OFP already got a kind of system to prevent TK...since you turn to enemy if you kill enough on your own side...though that only works if AI is involved...though you do lose points if you kill friendlies... wink_o.gif

about comment with disabled 3rd person view for vehicles ... this really depends how ArmAs handle "line of sight" in multiplayer ...

if You can use 3rd person view to look around corner or behind hill to reveal something You can't see by 1st person then don't blame owners of "realism" oriented servers to turn it off ...

just play on different server ...

same for optionable JIP = best way to go

Will JIP (Join In Progress) be in COOP missions too? How should it be handled?

JIP will allow players to enter game in progress so players don't have to wait in lobby anymore, how will this work for COOP missions (Players vs AI's)?

This must be very special or the mission might be saboutaged confused_o.gif

Imagine a mission that in certain moment needs an reenforcement from the main base or what ever, those players that were in the lobby could use this JIP new feature.

Would not be funny if that reenforment comes from Respawn. (or we would have people suiciding to play that reenforcement)

(Respawn is lame)

How would/could this work?

JIP = Respawn? if yes then arf!

edit 2: thx m8

bravo 6's JIP thread merged into here, only one thread is required for the JIP discussion smile_o.gif

I`m still worried about mechanics of JIP, because until now we had lobby where players were choosing roles, different squads and things like that - then the briefing where team leader was able to change his teammates equipment and than mission starts.

So now, with JIP - what about choosing roles, weapons?

Guest Ti0n3r

There will probably be some kind of ingame dialogue window where you/the admin will chose your role. Sounds logical.

I`m still worried about mechanics of JIP, because until now we had lobby where players were choosing roles, different squads and things like that - then the briefing where team leader was able to change his teammates equipment and than mission starts.

So now, with JIP - what about choosing roles, weapons?

I believe the simplest way for this feature should be defined by the mission maker.

He/she would creat extra slots for those JIP slots... (if he/she wants, and how many)

Player slots always were defined by mission makers so if missions maker want the JIP to be active he/she should creat some extra slots for that purpose (JIP)

and when an player connects to the server the player should have an option for the free slots available and pick 1.

edit:

There will probably be some kind of ingame dialogue window where you/the admin will chose your role. Sounds logical.

I dont agree with the admin's involvement on this JIP.

If admin is busy fighting why does it make sense to use admin's time? he should not be disturbed by this JIP.

I think JIP players should select their own slots and role.. (the available ones created by mission makers)

any more ideas? smile_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

It could depend on server settings wink_o.gif

it could but what would happen to a MP mission only for 10 blackop players (per example)?

would JIP work in that case too?

Could the JIP players affect the stealth mission?

the JIP could be dangerous for this mission...

it could but what would happen to a MP mission only for 10 blackop players (per example)?

would JIP work in that case too?

Could the JIP players affect the stealth mission?

the JIP could be dangerous for this mission...

I wanna bet that the mission editor and/or the server admin can decide if JIP is enabled or not wink_o.gif

Well here is what i just tought off.

option 1. Make some server settings to deside how jip works on the server.

option 2. Missionmaker get a extra option in the player, non playable, playable called playable (JIP) this will just give a normal playable slot in the briefing but it can also be choosen when JIPPED.

option 3. The Revieve option. Act like a idiot that your teammates hate you wont get revieved by them.

option 4. Spectator only.

some of these ideas are mentioned earlyer.

The Unknown

I wanna bet that the mission editor and/or the server admin can decide if JIP is enabled or not wink_o.gif

^^ well, I guess you'll still be able to lock the server anyway...