Sign in to follow this  
CuteQA

USN SU-27

I saw this when i was surfing on the internet. Does anyone has any information about this? It's pretty cool  smile_o.gif

i heard US bought a few MIG-29 too, does anyone have picture?

twin_Su-7.jpg

IIRC the US government bought 10 MiG-29's from Moldova some time ago so it could be that they also have SU-27's. The aircraft are probably used for OPFOR training and the development of countermeasures for US aircraft.

Maybe they are a part of a USN agressor unit?

EDIT: Hehe, started typing my reply prior to the other ones being posted tounge2.gif

So the bodypaint is photo edited? orz I liked it pretty much banghead.gif

Funny read and some interesting points about the F14/F18 switch, it gives the impression that US fighter set is becoming a mix of ageing aircraft, bad replacement decisions and extremely expensive prototypes. The SU27 is a modern reality though but its never a good idea to use the same "equipment" used by possible threats imo, and modification would add to aquisition costs smile_o.gif .

p.s. and welcome back CuteQA smile_o.gif .

So the bodypaint is photo edited? orz I liked it pretty much banghead.gif

well, the camo scheme of the plane is real, just the US Navy markings have been photoshopped on.

su-27_1.jpg

*edit* and to think of it logically - if the US Navy were to accuire a flanker variant, wouldn't it be the Su-33?

I don't think the USN, USMC or USAF flies any Russian or Soviet aircraft. The US Army does, however. In fact, last I heard there were no more active duty aggressor squadrons - they've all been relegated to the reserves or given to private contractors (who do fly Russian/Soviet aircraft). I seem to recall that there's one contractor in central Illinois who does in fact fly MiG-29s, amongst other aircraft, and leases them out to the USAF and USN.

Guest RKSL-Rock
I don't think the USN, USMC or USAF flies any Russian or Soviet aircraft. The US Army does, however. In fact, last I heard there were no more active duty aggressor squadrons - they've all been relegated to the reserves or given to private contractors (who do fly Russian/Soviet aircraft). I seem to recall that there's one contractor in central Illinois who does in fact fly MiG-29s, amongst other aircraft, and leases them out to the USAF and USN.

The USAF openly flies Mig-21 Fishbed (YF-110 ), Mig-23 Flogger (YF-113)

and USN fly IAI Kfirs (F-21A) for disimilar aircraft training.

While they may no longer fly them as agressors they do still fly them for flight testing weapons systems and in some exercises.

If Su-34 Platypus is what you mean, yes, Su-34 in a straight deliverate of Su-27. It has side-by-side seating, enlarged Su-27 hull (I think - might the same though) and is used as a strike aircraft. Original variant was actually called Su-27IB (Su-27 Fighter-Bomber).

Wiki source.

I knew about the Kfirs (which aren't used anymore). I knew the US had MiGs at one time, but I didn't know that they were ever used for official aggressor training, but more for evaluations. Very interesting links - thanks.

Now we've got the Indian Air Force to use for much of our aggressor training, it seems. smile_o.gif

anyone been succesfull in finding any pictures of the YF-110 and/or YF-113?

YF-110:

YF-110.jpg

usafmig21f131968photoaerofox4g.jpg

Unfortunately they are quite old pics. I believe I have seen MiG-23's and SU-25's on a site with pics from the OPFOR training center at Ft. Irwin but I can't seem to find the site anymore confused_o.gif

It is really interesting to see russian aircraft in US paintscheme, i'm still trying to find if there is any Mig-29 with US paintschme, so far no joy icon_smile_dead.gif

It is really interesting to see russian aircraft in US paintscheme, i'm still trying to find if there is any Mig-29 with US paintschme, so far no joy icon_smile_dead.gif

I got german mig 29s visit our raf base I got good pics smile_o.gif also this nice blue colour fishbeds whats the name of it again mig-xx crazy_o.gif from Romania got some awesome pics of them too real close wink_o.gif

It's a Navy F-14 dressed up to look like an Su-27. Rumor has it that when it was visiting an airbase, the local authorities thought it was a Russian defector and sent the security forces out to greet it. whistle.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Looks like a -29.

Its a Mig-25/28.  Look at the intakes, wings and the Length and shape of the nose

Mig 25 Planform

Mig 29 Planform

(Copy and paste the URL into a new window)

The Army has 2-3 Hinds, 2 Mi-17s and a couple AN-2s and Mi-2s as well. Most of them are based at the JRTC at Fort Polk.

I know this is a fact because I got strafed by them several times.