Sign in to follow this  
Hasha

Questions about the Hind, this is NUTS!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (varjo @ Jan. 20 2002,12:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"... the Mi-24 Hind is the second fastest combat helicopter in the world (the first is the Lynx"

Bullshit...Don't know much about choppers but if we speak only about russian choppers KA-50/52  are both faster.

Don't know about mi-28 but it is newer and smaller/lighter so it would be very odd if it wouldn't be faster than the mi-24.<span id='postcolor'>

key word is COMBAT

last time i heard a russian guy saying that the Hind Glass is made of composite titatium and 24K diamond that is why it is so damn powerful, any proof or it is real?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hasharajima @ Jan. 21 2002,04:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">last time i heard a russian guy saying that the Hind Glass is made of composite titatium and 24K diamond that is why it is so damn powerful, any proof or it is real?<span id='postcolor'>

Thats not true...

A bulletproof glas is nothing more than different layers of normalglass and laminated glass...its not indestructible by any means.

The thicker, the better (but also heavier and harder to work with).

Maybe the Hinds glass can withstand 1 or 2 shots from a .50 cal. gun, but the glass would be seriuosly damaged...and there is also the factor of exactly where the bullet hits. If it hits in an angle of 90 degrees relative to the glass, the chance of penetration would be higher...

I find it hard to believe that russians could afford to put their money in a diamondlaminated glass and wtf is "composited titanum"confused.gif Probably a made up alloy for your amusement... smile.gif

I may have shot down the Hind in 'Steal the car' mission with a single clip from M16. It turned, nosed down and dropped like a rock below the trees. I didn't see smoke rising. Unfortunately I got shot while heading toward the wreckage to confirm. I doubt I shot it down since I used 4xLAWs on one earlier. Will try again soon.

In the recent Chechen war the Chechen Rebels shoot 4 Strelas, in a Mi-24 Hind and even with 4 positive impacts the Hind come back to his base...

btr-70a1.jpg

tos-1.jpg

grad-2.jpg

Iraq Mig-25 Foxbat shoot down a F-18 Hornet

never happened.. there were no Air-To Air losses by ANY of the allies in Desert Storm. there were a few from ground fire and 1 or 2 from malfunction

though several Iraq pilots ejected from perfectley fine aircraft as soon as Navy F-14 locked their AIM-54 Phoenix missile onto them and fired... I guess it must kinda suck when the enemy can fire and kill you long before you could even lock up on them...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Jan. 25 2002,04:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Iraq Mig-25 Foxbat shoot down a F-18 Hornet

never happened..  there were no Air-To Air losses by ANY of the allies in Desert Storm. there were a few from ground fire and 1 or 2 from malfunction

though several Iraq pilots ejected from perfectley fine aircraft as soon as Navy F-14 locked their AIM-54 Phoenix missile onto them and fired...  I guess it must kinda suck when the enemy can fire and kill you long before you could even lock up on them...<span id='postcolor'>

Yes this happen, and this only became official because the investigations made by the pilot family to know the cause of his death, but the US goverment never became this really official, they never come to the media and say " we lost a F-18 Hornet in the 1991 Gulf War " they just erase this fact.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Jan. 26 2002,03:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Iraq Mig-25 Foxbat shoot down a F-18 Hornet

never happened..  there were no Air-To Air losses by ANY of the allies in Desert Storm. there were a few from ground fire and 1 or 2 from malfunction

though several Iraq pilots ejected from perfectley fine aircraft as soon as Navy F-14 locked their AIM-54 Phoenix missile onto them and fired...  I guess it must kinda suck when the enemy can fire and kill you long before you could even lock up on them...<span id='postcolor'>

An F-18 went down in the gulf war (Remember that missing pilot? who defected Iraqi soldiers kept saying they saw at a hospital? He is still MIA) The Iraqi's claimed a MiG-25 downed it. The US never said what caused it to go down but said the MiG theory was a possibility.

As for the Hind, the glass itself is designed to withstand several .50 hits....but yes it's a bit overpowered in the game. The cockpit itself is designed to withstand direct 23mm hits.

And yes, it IS the worlds fastest combat chopper, whoever said newer isn't always faster is totally right...remember the MiG-25 is still thw world's fastest fighter (Mach 3 when unarmed, Mach 2.8 fully loaded) but it's so outdated the radar still uses vacumm tubes! (which were still allright for the 1960's when it was designed)

The Iraqi's claimed a MiG-25 downed it.

Oh well if Iraq says it it must be true!!

remember how many planes and helicopters the Taleban "shot down" in the first days of the US attack on them... biggrin.gif

Oh yea.. as for a tough helicopter.. this suprised me quite a bit.. but the RAH-66 commanche's airframe is crashworthy and ballistically tolerant to 23 mm gunfire, and the windscreen is designed to be able to take a direct hit from a 23mm round.. which will shatter it COMPLETELY but not penetrate.. its designet to shatter completely so that the pilot's field of view is not obstructed..

if youve ever seen what "bullet proof" glass does when hit youll know what I mean.

it IS the worlds fastest combat chopper, whoever said newer isn't always faster is totally right

Offical maximum sustainable speed for the Hind in foreward flight clean (unloaded) is 199mph

for the RAH-66... 204mph..

also the RAH66 can fly sideways at 70 kts.. and I mean totally sideways.. the hind can do this up to 45 kts before becoming unstable..

of course the RAH66 is much newer, im sure that back in the day the Hind was the fastest.

RAH-66 Comanche Max Speed- 330 km/h

Mi-24 Hind normal Max Speed-335 km/h but there is a registered 368 km/h.....

source - www.fas.org

I guess different sources say different things.. probably differences in test conditions..

ok to end this argument about the fastest chopper in the world i have read my copy of Guiness book of records and it does say that a converted lynx AH.8 over 100km circuit got an average speed of 346km/h with a combat load of 2,250lb.That was in 1986 and i've got the yr 2000 copy of the GBOR so i guess us brits have it in the bag heehehehehe!!!!

yes...converted.

but well, the lynx might indeed need that speed to escape because any other helicopter will shoot it down without any problem.

even if the hind is the fastest heli, it still is a sitting duck compared to more agile attack helis like apache or the tiger helicopter. air combat is all about movement.

Hind: flying tank that screams "SHOOT ME DOWN EASILY WITH RPG 7s!"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hind: flying tank that screams "SHOOT ME DOWN EASILY WITH RPG 7s!" <span id='postcolor'>

LOL!!! Moron! A newer Mi-24 Hind can't be taken down by Stingers (efficient IR jammer) let a lone a measly RPG-7. It's very hard to take down a blackhawk with an RPG, and it has relatively thin armor, an Mi-24 hind will withstand 2000000 hit from an RPG. As Kasatka said chechens blasted a Hind with 4 strelas and it came back to base.

I changed my mind and am not going to jump in here. But I believe most of you are mistaken about how to read published material. Just know that the performance they list is Never the real performance of any military equipment in modern times.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but well, the lynx might indeed need that speed to escape because any other helicopter will shoot it down without any problem.<span id='postcolor'>

You are wrong. The Lynx maybe a bit old but is still one of the fastest and most agile helis in the world.

gall017.jpg

gall030.jpg

Several low flying Hinds were shot down by RPGs in Afghanistan, silly n00b.

A flying tank? Hardly. A tank just has to roll. A helicopter is much more complex and if anything goes wrong it will easily go down. RPGs can (as it has been demonstrated before) easily down a Hind.

Also, the designers seemingly completely ignored a part of the chopper: the tail! The tail part has almost no armour at all! Piece of shrapenal hits the tail rotor: oops!

Those pictures above, those of the Lynx....

They are upside-down....

smile.gif

Question about the Hind in OFP, or more specifically, the AT6 missles.  Am I doing something wrong, or do these things just have lousy guidance?  I setup a quickie custom mission with me in a Hind vs a bunch of M60s.  I sat in a flat hover, 300-400m out, and the only time I hit my target is when I pivoted and dipped my nose to centre the target.  What the hell?

Go to max height - you'll hit them much better.

And yeah, the missile should preferably be fired when in the center of the HUD. This (I think) is to compensate for the fact that you don't have to guide them manually or anything.

Also, the distance makes a great difference. If you look through the weapon configs, you'll see the hit-probability at various ranges. The Stinger for instance, has huge differences and should be fired at 400 meters from the target, with a hit probability of 95. At 1200, the hit probability is only 30.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zappo_hisbane @ Jan. 27 2002,18:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Question about the Hind in OFP, or more specifically, the AT6 missles.  Am I doing something wrong, or do these things just have lousy guidance?  I setup a quickie custom mission with me in a Hind vs a bunch of M60s.  I sat in a flat hover, 300-400m out, and the only time I hit my target is when I pivoted and dipped my nose to centre the target.  What the hell?<span id='postcolor'>

At 400m this missile has not more than 15% of probability to reach to his target but at 800m - 1000m.... goes to 95 to 100%... like in real life...