Sign in to follow this  
Bouben

New Sounds (sry if i omit some old sounds topic)

If you do not have a Soundblaster Audigy (1 or 2) or an X-fi, you are *not* hearing OFP the way it was meant to be heard. ... .. Period.

If you do not have one of the above sound cards, you have no business saying what OFP sounds like, whatsoever. Your sound card cannot properly reproduce what the sound engine is attempting to give you. It may be close, but no cigar.

I'm by no means a big creative labs fan (I don't care for their monopolistic ways), but these sound cards are the only ones that can do OFP justice. I've heard OFP on just about every other sound card out there.... Nothing compares.

Yes, I'm using a Soundblaster and the sounds in OFP are amazing. Sometimes I wonder how many addon makers actually have a card that can reproduce sound in OFP like it should be, because most of them seem to do a good job with their sounds in their addons.

I really love the sounds of very distant explossions where it just comes to you as a rumble, like an earthquake.

Distant firefights sound very cool too.

The sounds in AA could be improved, sure, there is allways room for improvement, but I think is just the actual sounds, not the way BIS implemented them in the game, because I find that their vehicle and weapons sounds are not of my likeness, but the way they are placed in the game, the way the engine use them, that's very cool.

Just get new sounds like those in some sound modification mods and I'll be very pleased.

Regards.

@CERO.

Sorry i didn't know that my soundcart had to be a soundblaster.

I've played alot of years with onboard noname soundcards and never gave much thought about it, mostly because sounds in other games was terrific.

But just to set the record straight is wasn't complaining about Ofp sound in general and i agree that the explosions sound great, its only small arms fire i have a problem with.

I agree with DaneDK

OFP-sound (since 2001) in firstperson sounds really good.

It sounds just right and realistic.

I've played other games like Söldner  crazy_o.gif where the gunfire sounds like a lawnmower..

The handling of Sounds when the distance, outside, inside, hills etc. (landscape) must be calcutated old ofp didnt make the job right good. Thats it. I'm also an owner of a Soundblaster...

For example, inside a city the sound of a firing gun has a reverberation effect.. (more mid and high frequencies) cause of walls reflection. Thats a fact, no invention.

If the fiiring gun is far away (big distance) u should get the sound of very large reverb (low and low-mid freqencies) high frequencies r cut. Also a fact!

OFP is 4-5 years old and the soundengine is outdated. Dont missunderstand me! The basic sounds r brilliant except the engine.

I'm a fucking musician, believe me! wink_o.gif

I'm a fucking musician, believe me!  wink_o.gif

No offence but that doesn´t count a shit. tounge2.gif

The sound currently in OFP is 'ok' and no more than that. What I truely miss in OFP are proper environment sounds; rustling trees and bushes, birds, insect sounds, etc. When I walk around an ofp island I feel like walking through hiroshima 1946 on a windless day.

The gun and vehicle sounds are not as important as environment sounds IMO because of the nature of OFP. You can spend a considerable amount of time in a mission without anyone firing a gun, you will just hear the environment.

What I truely miss in OFP are proper environment sounds; rustling trees and bushes, birds, insect sounds, etc.

Hmm, maybe I've been playing too much OFP:E but I'm sure OFP had exactly what you describe. Well certainly wind, birds and insect sounds were present to some degree (mostly on Nogova?). Or is that only OFP:E and I never noticed the improvement?

There probably should be more animal sounds, especially with the additional wildlife added to OFP:E and thus likely to appear in Arma. The larger urban areas might also benefit from some spot-noise - humming from generators, AC etc

@ Dec. 30 2005,13:16)]
I'm a fucking musician, believe me!  wink_o.gif

No offence but that doesn´t count a shit. tounge2.gif

well  biggrin_o.gif  may be i mixed some things up...

More environment sounds would be nice, like bushes, wind, and insects... Birds and things was allready implemented in ofp.. U just had to make a Trigger (in Mission Editor) and create/place the sounds u like.. THATS THE POINT! Some basic sounds should be implemented with the Island... for example Wind, Sea, Birds? Insects?, Bush (when u get inside it) Trees etc...

I still think it shouldnt be that hard to update the Engine, to make distance-sounds etc. more realistic, without eating performance.... correct me if I'm wrong

@You can spend a considerable amount of time in a mission without anyone firing a gun, you will just hear the environment.

Well yes but that's another problem that in general firefights are to short with Ofp ai.

I don't like to resort to ambient sound files to get the combat ambience.

Imagine being able to put small west and east teams all around the island engaging each other in extendet firefights, and you could listen to that on way to your objectives, what a sweet atmosphere that would make.

Or maybe i need to see a doctor crazy_o.gif ?