Sign in to follow this  
Arne

Team Yankee Traffic Objects Pack

Not a big addon (less than 300kb), but could be useful for island makers, so I decided today to release it to the public:

A working traffic light system for OFP.

The stages of the lights are: red - red/amber - green - amber - red. That's how it's done here in Germany. If you need others, post your suggestion on our forum.

TLMS1.jpg

TLMS2.jpg

You can download it from our download section of Team Yankee.

As my call for beta-testers a month ago vanished unheard, don't blame me for any bugs, but please report them on our forum.

Thanx, Arne

I downloaded the file, I opened it up, and there was not .pbo file in the archive. DOH!

I did the same and found TWO PBOs. I suggest you take one and I'll keep the other one. That's fine for you? biggrin_o.gif

winace8aw.th.gif

Looks very nice, hopefully a few island-makers will include these in their maps smile_o.gif Good job.

I am at work now and cannot try it out, but I just want to say that this is very creative if it works as advertised.

Thank you for your efforts.

i have a question? does the red light make the AI actualy stop? if so, in leimens terms, how was that acomplished?

someone else was doing a simaler project and suggested an invisable wall for the AI... however ive seen the AI attempt to drive thru a house..

Funny idea.

edit:

(...)

Link removed, Team Yankee doesn't want to see their work distributed on our website, so I will follow their request expressed via email.

sad_o.gif

They blamed me with violation of their copyright, which was not intended, but to report about it.

BtW, it would be helpful in future if you would give a hint in this forum that you don't agree the practice of hosting your addons because your policy differs a little bit from other addonmakers ones.

In any case we want to respect the restrictions made by the authors, of course.

Team Yankees Traffic Lights are no longer available at ofpc.de

i have a question? does the red light make the AI actualy stop? if so, in leimens terms, how was that acomplished?

someone else was doing a simaler project and suggested an invisable wall for the AI... however ive seen the AI attempt to drive thru a house..

I think it depends on the vehicle being used.

The Traffic Lights do not affect the vehicles in OFP - as in RL no red light stops you from ignoring it wink_o.gif

The idea with invisible walls sounds nice but AI will try to find a way around - and will run into buildings for instance. This is even more a problem for tracked vehicles that can turn on the spot.

If you see it this way: it's a disadvantage of our system, but I can't think of a way of how to do it (without many manually placed triggers). I want to keep the use of the Traffic Lights simple - not everybody is a scripting-genious. I hope that the PDF and demo-mission answer all questions.

Actually I haven't testet the lights at night, probably you won't see them at all sad_o.gif as the whole system uses animations of textured faces to simulated the on/off light effect. I'll experiment a bit with it. If someone knows how to do it with "real" lights, please say so.

The idea behind this addon was to create a small urban addon for Sgt.Savage's Casurina Island (e.g. the blue/grey busstop behind the bus is from our Urban Objects Pack - not released yet).

Why you release addons and dont allow websites to advertise for your addons and your website?huh.gif? Thats some kind of arrogant selfishness and not very community friendly...

why to make invisible walls? Make an invisible box,where AI is stuck until green light appears.

or have a trigger around that

like setspeed 0 or something

smile_o.gif

Yes, eestikas88's ideas seem to make sense. thumbs-up.gif And as for Acacyn, I totally agree with you, why release addons on the forums if you don't want them to be distributed?

the box wont work since the second vehicle in line will drive around the box.

the more i think about it. it is impossible to do. via script. only mission makers can do it using setfeul 0 stuff for cut scenes

Daniel @ Nov. 12 2005,23:07)]And as for Acacyn, I totally agree with you, why release addons on the forums if you don't want them to be distributed?

Mmmmm.... funny one indeed. But actually everybody CAN dl them on the TeamYankee-Webside, even without registration...so they are open to all. I presume the team want's to know exactly how many dl's there have been or need some traffic on there side....who knows.

@ Pappy Boyington: Tried to solve that via script while BETA-testing... never found a way,but i'm far from beeing a scriptwizard.

i think the biggest complaint about not mirroring the file is due to future gamers. a year or so from now there wont be a BAS or a Team Yankee or a DKM. an FFUR or Y2K3 or Unsung or any other mod for that matter. we will have moved on to new games, weither it be OFP2, AA, or just newer better games. for those of us that are lucky.. the rest of us will be forced into societys ways and forced to take on full time jobs. some of us 2 just to make the bills...

but there will still be an OFP. and websites like atwar, ofp.info, and other big name sites will still be running, managed by newer younger people. so that the next generation of people that discover such a great game can still download this stuff.

a great example of what im talking about is the hasbro game B17G Flying Fortress: the might 8th!

a great game even by todays standards... you cant even download a patch for it since its from 2001. and no websites ofer mirroring for it. game files? please gnats site is the only one with working links to anything related to that game. so what happens in 2008 and on? i figure OFP will remain community strong until about mid '07 when even the most diehards finnaly move on. ofp.info will most likly still be around. so if the nextgen user comes to the forums and searchs and finds bridges or traffic lights and then go to download it and find out that the team yankee website is "page not found" then they wont be able to enjoy the addon like we do.

i will not agree or disagree with their desicion but i thought i should explain why i think so many are upset

Well, one word from my point of view.

I am newsposter at german OFP newssite ofpc.de and we check the BI Forums as often as possible. Our intention is to bring the newest and most interesting addons, mods and announcements to the fans of the game all over the world.

We always give correct credits, sources and try to give an objective, useful report of the topic.

The idea behind ist a benefit for both: addonmakers and fans. Addonmakers will get promotion of their work and capabilities and a widespread feedback from several fans. And the fans are able to see which limits were broken down and which ideas will be integrated in this excellent game.

But this ist not a one-way-thing. We will not give promotion for addons we are not allowed to offer on a proveable and reliable way to our visitors. We are able to link a download to a mod's site, using their own mirror. But if we are forced to stop establishing d/l mirrors at all, we are not intersted in reporting about such mods and addons. And our fans and visitors aren't too.

If you don't believe so, check our HPs to read visitors comments.

One more thing: here at BI official Forums mods are offering their newest releases as stuff to be provided to the fans all over the world. Most mods are really interested in reliable broadband mirrors without traffic limit. You know that words: mirrors appreciated.

If you don't want to see your stuff distributed to OFP fans, just write a line to your first post here at BI Forum: Any distribution, hosting and so on ist prohibited. We will respect that but ignore your release. But please don't hide such legal stuff in a readme hidden in an archive where no newsposter will have a look before hosting. We as newsposters need such informations closely delivered with the release.

Maybe your point of view ist another one. Thats ok.

And, last, I think it's not necessary to send such rude messages:

Quote[/b] ]License Violation

The Readme of TMYK_Traffic does not allow you to make the archive public, if you do not have permission by the author(s).

I doubt you have such a permission!

Remove the archive IMMEDIATELY!

================================================

8. Restrictions

You are in no way allowed to make this archive or portions of it publicly available without prior permission by the author(s), i.e. uploads to computers (servers) where other people can download/copy this archive or portions of it onto their Personal Computer system are not allowed without prior permission by the author(s).

Thats what I received today from Team Yankee. No "hello", no name in it.

Thats unpolite and doesn't reflect the kind of communication we are expecting here.

Of course I removed your addon from our site. I do not deny your rights. But I don't understand your reaction.

edit:

typo

I have always a good laugh when kids try to act like "professionals". Perhaps you guys want to apply for the music industry?

I have always a good laugh when kids try to act like "professionals". Perhaps you guys want to apply for the music industry?

Could you please tell us who is meant?

I am a little bit confused about the recipient.

@pappy :

if the box doesnt work for the other car ,then don't put another car in line,or make many boxes in line.

i suggested the box idea for testing if it works.

we don't need a TOTALLY working trafficlight addon,because players wont stop anyway in the middle of a war. tounge2.gif

@Clausewitz: you know my point of view about all this copyright stuff... i think you can recall my statements in the hx3-forums. My ideal addon whould come with a full "to-use-and-do-what-ever-you-want-just-give-credits" licence.

But, as seen in the mentioned discussion, a big part of the (german) com sticks to and insists on the copyright. So as a consiquence the guys of teamyankee might as well insist on their individual point of view. Even if i would like a different copyright rule in ALL addons ...in my opinion it's up to them what they do.

We all have to exept the big, nonsense flamewars about "that's our modell" and all newssides still report about mods who do this regular...without a comment. So why not accept the demands of the creators here, simply provide the link and post the news? You can't tell my youre users are bothered about a link going on to your or a other sever, can you.

I'm sure the team will open the addons up IF they should ever leave OFP.

We all should be glad to have a nother addon and don't bother about copyright-crap-diskussions....i've learned the hard way that it's a fight against walls.

But this is getting OT confused_o.gif

@eestikas88: I tried the "multiple boxes". It seems to work fine. But you are right...i rather think that the majority will use this addon only for "pimping up" some towns or for some realistic intros, not to create a fully working traffic system. Handy to have though biggrin_o.gif

Nice idea, and great work. Although I won't download it, simply because its not this kinda additude I would want to see in the future.

You won't get any press news on arma.dk for sure (if you ever intend to move on to armed assault).

well has anybody bothered asking him if you could be allowed to post these.

In this particular case I mean! confused_o.gifwhistle.gif

well has anybody bothered asking him if you could be allowed to post these.

Why??? It's a lot more simple to just go skyhigh, start speaking of banning the mod and not reporting about them anymore confused_o.gif

I just had a chat with the teamleader and know the reasons know.

It not a selfish move.... it's a consequence of something... Even if i'll leave it up to team yankee to post a statement on that or not... manhunter is right with his remark anyway.

And i could really scream reading some statements on some ofp-sides banghead.gif ... but that doesn't belong here.