Sign in to follow this  
xnodunitx

poll for the upcomming suprise

This poll is for an upcomming suprise addon,I cannot tell you anything about it,all I can say is I need to know what you guys prefer more,this doesn't mean there won't be detailed textures no those will stay,but I'm wanting to know if you guys prefer texture details on things like wheels or want actual 3D details.

Oh yeah and its possible to have both just post n say both,I forgot to add that banghead.gif

also take note that its a ground vehicle,thats all I can say.

Yeah , both would be great but I think both would occur a bit of lag , so best to improve textures wink_o.gif

Depends,I'm not talking 10 sided bolts on the "wheels" But I'm thinkin a high and low version of it might be needed ,because I like the 3D details on the wheels and doors,just too good to pass up,course this all also up to Franze as he would be the one I need to help me with the vehicles.

depending how fast progress goes I might have some screenshots in a few days.

I say bot couse if it is for your apache i think your model is absolutely great but the textures are a bit not great.

Depends on what the addon is, and what the part is.. I.e theres no need to use the model to create a dent, as you wont see it without the texture looking dented, a cracked window is better of being textured etc..

A high and low quality model is a good idea, so people with slower PCs can still play fine with someone with fast PCs on the same mission

- Ben

I agree with Jack-o. The apache is a very good addon, but not a very nice loocking one. The textures could need some work. wink_o.gif

Besides that texture part the apache is top. thumbs-up.gif

Great textures makes the addon look better even if the model isn't extremely detailed. So go for the textures...

smile_o.gif

Yeah you can make a 6 poly box look great with good texture work. Something alot of addon makers dont get smile_o.gif

Yeah you can make a 6 poly box look great with good texture work. Something alot of addon makers dont get smile_o.gif

Totaly agreed smile_o.gif

Kinda ment to say that in my post whistle.giftounge2.gif

- Ben

Texture detail, definitely !

Although it's also important the model LODs are in order, it's not all about # of faces is it ? biggrin_o.gif

What you can do with textures don't do with modeling, it saves tons of preformance that way. whistle.gif So focus on texturing, where you can, and on model in other parts.

Yeah I agree the textures on teh apache are a bit bad,in some areas of the exterior the texture is stretched out,I could remap it all,that and make the textures smaller but like I said,I'm not sure Franze would want to go through that whole binarize procress again along with the cfgtexture,either that or it wouldnt have the cfgtexture *shrug* of course it was also my first major thing,I was just starting out on it,now I have a bit more experience and nope this has nothing to do with the apache,something completely different though used by the Army.

So in addition to looking nasty, the Apache is nasty to be on the recieving end.  wink_o.gif

Also, don't tell me you want to drive/fly a 6 sided box around all day. whistle.gif

Don't mind Franze,he wasn't gettin on to ya,well the model is currently standing near 5000 faces,well one of em. After examing some of the modern addons that are even used in mods such as EECP,FFUR,Y2K3 and so on,their 5000 and some above,so it seems to be on par.

Don't mind Franze,he wasn't gettin on to ya,well the model is currently standing near 5000 faces,well one of em. After examing some of the modern addons that are even used in mods such as EECP,FFUR,Y2K3 and so on,their 5000 and some above,so it seems to be on par.

most details should be made with textures, models dont have to be high poly when you use the right textures.

Oh I know,I also know that textures as hard as one could try that sometimes they just can't capture the same thing,guess we'll see how things turn out eh?

I didn't mean model pieces as dents,no those would stay as textures,the models almost done in exterior and its alittle above 4600 faces which is still pretty low as compared to todays standards.

On the other hand, "high poly" depends on how you define it. For me, I'd define high poly as 7000+ faces, but I'm sure for some people, 4000+ would be high poly. All depends on who you talk to.

My point was that while textures make up part of the product, so does a good model. With ArmA around the corner, and with the engine limits of OFP being fairly open, it doesn't hurt to invest a little bit more into model detail than 500-800 faces. Plus I think a lot depends on what you're modeling - a tree won't need as much detail as a jet.

well one of the models is basicly finished in terms of model for the most part,now we just need to get it ingame n textured,might have some pics soon. wink_o.gif

On the other hand, "high poly" depends on how you define it. For me, I'd define high poly as 7000+ faces, but I'm sure for some people, 4000+ would be high poly. All depends on who you talk to.

My point was that while textures make up part of the product, so does a good model. With ArmA around the corner, and with the engine limits of OFP being fairly open, it doesn't hurt to invest a little bit more into model detail than 500-800 faces. Plus I think a lot depends on what you're modeling - a tree won't need as much detail as a jet.

8000 + is what I determine as high. But I have no problem with models with even 10000 faces in OFP.

My irish F350 is headed for 6500 polies, but all the "detail", ie, nuts and bolts, and all that, is done with textures. Its a question of balance. Its also a question of how common the unit is. I'm not expecting anyone to have more than 4 or 5 of these F350s in a mission, being SF vehicles, and rare, i can go to town with them. If i was making something more common i'd cut down my poly count.

Its really down to experience when to know to use textures and when to use models.

I seriously doubt people would use "this" platform all that much,heck COMBAT's humvee are generally around 7000 faces,abrams tanks around 6000 or so,I'm wantin somethin new and with the help of Franze I'v acheived that "detal" level,for instance those texture sprockets just wouldn't work on this thing.